Spawners

Issues, news, and discussion specific to the Ironman variant.
Scythe
Blubbering Idiot

Spawners

Post by Scythe » Sun 12.04.2009, 18:56

I have been having a lot of fun playing Ironman lately, but I have one thing that I think needs to change. Spawners. If I walk into a room where spawners have already woken up, there is nothing I can, I have to leave the level, costing me experience from the things I cannot kill on that level and forcing me onto a level I might not survive. Plenty of you I'm sure will say " That's part of the challenge." but I don't buy that argument. There is a difference between difficult and unfair. This is one of those unfair things that, because we cannot go up at all, just makes the game obnoxious. I'm not saying that they need to be done away with all together, make them spawn more slowly and make them weaker, because on more than one occasion I have been either killed or forced off of a level because of these things.
Life rarely makes any sense.

serina
Crystal Ooze

Re: Spawners

Post by serina » Sun 12.04.2009, 19:28

My input on this case.

If you play a mage, you can detect them and kill them before they wake up. Also if you play a character with high stealth you might have this advantage as well.

If you play a half-troll warrior or a character with similar stealth, you need to face these facts and hope that you won't wake up too many.

I have never experienced being forced into diving too fast due to breeders. The only time I can think of this being a problem is if you play a high elven mage, which require ALOT of XP and will be in trouble during the whole game for that reason.

In Ironman, you can't explore every level fully before you move on, you need to get on down before your stats are drained too hard. You need to think ahead and use all your class abilities or you will fail. Breeders have nothing to do with this unless you have a bad run of Hummerhorns.

HOWEVER. In regular Angband Ironman, breeders give XP. That's a huge difference. But on the other hand. In regular Angband there aren't any cities (dwarven halls) at all. I prefer our version by far.

The point with MAngband is that it isn't meant to be won. The point with Ironman MAngband = a fun dive till you die horribly.

ZAL

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Re: Spawners

Post by Warrior » Mon 13.04.2009, 11:41

Do you mean spawners (after a level has been static for a long time monsters will start spawning (being created on the level)) or breeders (monsters that multiply)?

Breeders can be a problem but it's rare to have them force you off the level, usually you can turn back/run past them once you decide they're too many to kill. Remember to close any of the doors you can, keeping them locked up :)
New spawns however can be quite dangerous, you run around thinking the level is cleared and suddenly a pack of uruks spawn close to you and shoot you to death from a distance before you notice it.
-- Mangband Project Team Member