[BMA] Poll 1: Destruction

Issues, news, and discussion specific to any other servers.
Arcon

Re: Poll 1: Destruction

Post by Arcon » Fri 20.06.2003, 07:43

You want to make money for valuable?  Once you can lose it, it has a lot more value.  So, modify the permarock house walls.  They'll still be magic proof, but diggable.  Counter this with a new (powerful) npc, the Town Guard.  They'll hear the digging, and check out whats going on, maybe arrest anyone holding a shovel.  To further balance it, let people know who broke into their house (for revenge), make the walls regenerate (and kill whoever is standing in the hole), and make expensive houses have thicker walls (so the first hole regens as they're digging the 2nd hole [insta-death]).

Arcon

Post by Arcon » Fri 20.06.2003, 08:00

On second though, thats the dumb way to do it.  Have pickable locks instead.  Very hard to pick, taking a lvl 50 rogue about 5 continous minutes of attemps.  And, of course, town guards to catch people during this time. And if anything stops the rogue, they have to start over.  This way just hitting the guards would ruin the attemp.  

Maegdae
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Maegdae » Fri 20.06.2003, 16:35

Arcon, did ya get the first idea from an Amiga game called minerunner?  Digging open the floor behaved like that.  

I know what I'd do if that was implemented..  use a house somewhere in the mountains.  "If you can get through greater titans and high dragons and all sorts of terrible things @ wilderness speed alive, you are worthy to have my money and gear."
Version 3.12
GAT d- s++:- a14 C++++ UL+ P L+ E? W+ N+ o? K---- w--- O-- M-- V? PS--- PE++ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X- R+ !tv b+++ DI+++ D+ G+ e- h! !r !z

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Sun 22.06.2003, 18:22

It would be really nice if someone would develop NPC's for MAngband. I'd apply the patch in a heartbeat. I don't necessarily want to spend the time figuring out how to program NPC's myself. Mmm.. intelligent NPC's... such a lovely idea. Something better than the ones in ToME, perhaps. Or perhaps monsters with better intelligence, like from the new Zelda game (yeah I've been wasting a lot of time in front of the Gamecube lately!) I wish it were doable with my one-man coding "team"... Back to the point though. I don't think diggable house walls or pickable locks are the way to go. All we need is one or two high level players who have lots of time and enough luck and lock-picking skill to steal from houses, and I've got a BIG mess to deal with. Too many fires to put out! Money definitely needs to be easier to lose or more valuable. I'm still devising new ideas for game economics.
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)