[BMA] I *knew* it'd happen :p

Issues, news, and discussion specific to any other servers.
Big_Juan_Teh_Furby
Iridescent Beetle

[BMA] I *knew* it'd happen :p

Post by Big_Juan_Teh_Furby » Fri 17.12.2004, 17:39

I still had Donovan foed and we passed in town and we smacked each other around. I died. No biggie.<br><br>It was *totally* an accident, he didn't take any gear, I wasn't chasing after him or anything. We're cool about it.<br><br>Just FYI.
When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can turn into deadly projectiles.

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Re: I *knew* it'd happen :p

Post by Berendol » Fri 17.12.2004, 18:43

I figured that would happen eventually. Make sure you clean up, since I have to run along now...

Bigjuan, given the recent history of the server, do you think it would be a good idea to disable PvP in town?
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Crimson
King Lich

Post by Crimson » Fri 17.12.2004, 20:28

Here I, the infamously absent Crimson, pipe in.

No, I do not think *disabling* it will work.

Here's why.

-  Noob a pops on (probably a shadow character for UltraHighLevelGuy),  runs over and picks up a trade between characters, and runs off.  So long as he stays in town, nobody can touch him.  Given it's impossible to keep a server admin available at all times (and come on, there are 30 players at this point, that's an overkill), you're pretty much screwed.

However.

That doesn't mean I can't just delete characters who get a complaint lodged because they broke this rule, which I can investigate at my liesure.  Does that get you your 20th level mage back?  No, but that's 3hrs to rebuild, chances are the effect on the upper level player will be much harsher.

The intent of the rule was to eliminate pointless slaughter by placing the aggresive character at now greater risk.  Now there's a stated rule against it, I need no further justification to act when it occurs.

On the downside, that does mean that a single player could probably create havoc in the interim, but this is mangband, not a $10Mil IPO Sierra game, such are the breaks.

--Crimson.
Are you not entertained?
Is this not what you came here for?

-- Maximus Decimus Meridias, The Gladiator

Big_Juan_Teh_Furby
Iridescent Beetle

Post by Big_Juan_Teh_Furby » Fri 17.12.2004, 22:57

I agree, I think we should leave pvp enabled in town...just in case.  I've got no qualms in hosing someone in town if I have a just cause, and I'm willing to take the punishment if it displeases you.

However, if it's turned off, I do fear for something like Crimson noted happening.

Leave it on, I say.
When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can turn into deadly projectiles.