[BMA] Runes break stuff

Issues, news, and discussion specific to any other servers.
Big_Juan_Teh_Furby
Iridescent Beetle

[BMA] Runes break stuff

Post by Big_Juan_Teh_Furby » Mon 10.01.2005, 13:53

Runes of protection seem to break things they're on. If you put one on a shop, the shop doesn't work (as was found earlier this weekend). I believe, but haven't tested, that if you put a rune on a stair, you break the stair. There's usually more than one stair up and/or down, but still. Perhaps the option that allows stuff to drop on top of occupied squares (squares that have doors, stairs, or traps) should be turned off?
When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can turn into deadly projectiles.

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Re: Runes break stuff

Post by Berendol » Mon 10.01.2005, 16:15

Actually, I'm one step ahead of you there. I've had the code written to disallow runes on certain floor types (since the whole shop 5 incident) but I have not actually compiled it yet. I'll compile later today around dinnertime, after I have some other changes finished.
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Big_Juan_Teh_Furby
Iridescent Beetle

Post by Big_Juan_Teh_Furby » Mon 10.01.2005, 16:32

Sweet!  How 'bout the whole stuff occupying the same tile?

The biggest issue I have with that is hitting traps when I go get a piece of gear.  "Oh, look, there's a PDSM there in the middle of that cool vault...whoops, I hit a trap door that was under that sword?"

Can that be changed too?
When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can turn into deadly projectiles.

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Tue 11.01.2005, 13:37

Wouldn't that make it impossible to fill vaults with loot by killing the monsters, though? If a trap blocks items, that would also give away the location of traps without making you cast detect traps.

There doesn't seem to be an agreeable way to fix the scenario of items on top of traps.

Well, I have one idea, but I want to hear from some of you before I implement it.

How about if there's an item on the trap, you don't set off the trap when you walk on the item? Of course, that raises the important question of what happens when you pick up the item. It should logically set off the trap. It seems like an Indiana Jones scene, doesn't it?

I just carry rods of disarming around for trapped vaults.

Anyar
Giant Troll

Post by Anyar » Tue 11.01.2005, 16:37

this situation is where the mage-type spell combo detect doors/traps+ destroy doors/traps come in handy, might take a few mana but its cheap and effective
to check where the items on traps are run around a corner to vheck

Big_Juan_Teh_Furby
Iridescent Beetle

Post by Big_Juan_Teh_Furby » Tue 11.01.2005, 16:56

I really don't have a problem hitting a trap under an item, per se.  What I DO have a problem with is not being able to know there's a trap under the item, because the item is obscuring the trap.

I'm not sure how, but this has never been an issue with Crimson's server.

When you kill a monster that needs to drop an item, and where it wants to drop is a trap, it merely drops next to the trap.  So yes, in theory you could see a trap because you just killed a wyrm and have 3 items, a blank square and 3 more items after it.

Anyar
Giant Troll

Post by Anyar » Tue 11.01.2005, 20:46

if you use detect objects then your screwed but you just have to detect traps and step to wher you cant see objects in a vualt and then you can see  only the traps, it can be annoying but its the best option without this fixed

Maegdae
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Maegdae » Tue 11.01.2005, 22:33

I haven't had a problem with the new setup personally.  You can generally tell the location of traps in vaults by the pattern of the vault.  If you have a way of detecting traps then you may simply attempt to disarm each square you wish to walk on.  If not, search, search, search..

It's not perfect, but it's dealable.  
Version 3.12
GAT d- s++:- a14 C++++ UL+ P L+ E? W+ N+ o? K---- w--- O-- M-- V? PS--- PE++ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X- R+ !tv b+++ DI+++ D+ G+ e- h! !r !z

Big_Juan_Teh_Furby
Iridescent Beetle

Post by Big_Juan_Teh_Furby » Tue 11.01.2005, 22:35

Aye, but what about non-vaults?

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Wed 12.01.2005, 01:55

Items won't ever be generated on traps, but they can drop on traps. Therefore... if you detect and disarm traps before killing stuff... you have nothing to worry about.

Did that answer any aspects of your questions?

Big_Juan_Teh_Furby
Iridescent Beetle

Post by Big_Juan_Teh_Furby » Wed 12.01.2005, 11:16

I'm not so sure about that (unless you made a code change since last night)...so I'll be sure to keep my eyes open.

Rali
Clear Yeek

Post by Rali » Fri 28.01.2005, 10:42

In either OAngband or Vanilla 3.x, when you (l)ook at an item, if there's a trap underneath it looks like this:

^ A flask of oil (Gas Trap)

So there is a carat before the name, and the type of trap afterwards, if the trap is identified.

Maegdae
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Maegdae » Wed 02.02.2005, 05:53

Not a good day.  Read random  unneeded scrolls to clean out inventory so I could buy a life.. forgetting that I was standing on the Black Market :o  

After half an hour of luring/cloning stuff I managed to destroy the Rune of Protection.  

Evidentally the rune doesn't cover up the shop.  It replaces it.  

Or monsters that destroy a rune also destroy the shop underneath it.

Therefore, I'll give away potions/scrolls that the Black Market normally sells.  You'll have to show me roughly the amount of cash they'd cost, however, since I don't want to upset game balance.  I may restrict how much I gvie away to any one person due to limited stock.  

This is effective until shop 7 is fixed.  Sorry to both players and admin for the inconvenience.
Version 3.12
GAT d- s++:- a14 C++++ UL+ P L+ E? W+ N+ o? K---- w--- O-- M-- V? PS--- PE++ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X- R+ !tv b+++ DI+++ D+ G+ e- h! !r !z

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Wed 02.02.2005, 23:58

@#$*&^#$#@

Sorry, I haven't compiled that tile specific rune-forbidding patch ... still ... when does nobody play, so I can wait until then to make the game unplayably laggy for 20-30 minutes?

A Rune is a type of floor tile. So is a shop entrance. Rune, shop, door. It's all the same to the game. So if you overwrite one with another, you change it. You don't "overlay" a Rune on something, you replace something with a rune. When a rune loses all its "health," it is replaced by a standard floor tile.

Korat_Rahmoon
Mean-Looking Mercenary

Post by Korat_Rahmoon » Sat 19.02.2005, 03:43

Could there perhaps just be a display priority given to traps so that an item on a trap appears as a trap, and not an item?