Static Quests

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.

Do you think static quests might add to the game?

Poll ended at Thu 06.03.2008, 01:48

yes
67%
no
33%

Total votes: 3

Emulord
King Vampire

Static Quests

Post by Emulord » Mon 25.02.2008, 01:48

I know this would be nearing variant territory, but I think static quests would add a lot to the game.
Randomly generated levels are good since you dont know what to expect, but a cleverly designed or themed level (like, orc cave, dragon lair, etc.) can have better gameplay than a random dungeon.
Uniques shouldnt be on static levels, so the reward from unique drops would still be higher in the real dungeon. The only problem would be that you would know what to expect, and scum them for experience (until you run out of gold from the worse non-unique drops).

Billsey
King Vampire

Post by Billsey » Mon 25.02.2008, 05:07

I actually think that this is already in there, part of the Ironman changes Jug made several years ago. There's a special file you create for each level you want static, and when that level is created, it'd done using that file as the template. I haven't ever worked on the function, but others might be able to help you out if you want to figure out how it's done.

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Mon 25.02.2008, 11:55

Good luck to implement static quests in Mang... it works fine in vanilla Angband where there is only one player and you don't have to figure out which player has completed which quests and which levels should be static for which players...
The only easy quests to implement (see PWMAng) are random quests (kill n of the foo race)...

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Mon 25.02.2008, 13:36

There are more random quests -

retrieve item
(opt kill amount X of) kill X
kill unique
rescue X at Y ft <-- that would require probably a lot of additional coding e.g. you implement a "neutral" mosnter somewhere in the dungeon as soon as standing next to a player that has the quest active it would "disappear". quest failed if X days overdue or player killed on return.

If other players are with the player it doesnt impact the quest, they would ignore the neutral monster... :)

maybe some "special vaults" could also trigger quests. E.g. you could build vaults that go over long parts of the dungeon and when the vault is picked, maybe special monsters / scripts can be triggered.

quests should be optional and maybe could be retrieved at the tavern.

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Wed 27.02.2008, 12:55

more....

if some mosnters would be able to drop some spec. items

e.g. wolf, tiger, ... -> hide , fur (when slain)
or smaegol, ..others -> smaegols hand (when slain)

etc., like special items, they do not grant anything but can be converted into money :)