Windows saved data location

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
Berendol
Evil Iggy

Windows saved data location

Post by Berendol » Wed 14.05.2008, 03:57

In order to properly integrate into multiuser Windows systems, the game should probably save user-specific data in the appropriate location, e.g. User\Application Data\MAngband, rather than the installed location. This allows all users on the system to play without having admin rights. I ran into this when my macros weren't retained between sessions, in a (limited access) account when I'd installed it as the admin. The game would ideally check the system-wide data first, then check for user-specific data.

Billsey
King Vampire

Re: Windows saved data location

Post by Billsey » Fri 16.05.2008, 01:26

The only hard coded data file is the initial load of mangband.ini. Mangband.ini then tells you where to look for everything else using the Libpath variable. That doesn't address your full concerns, other than relocating the preferences files to a local path. It'd be worth testing to see if setting Libpath to something like %USER%\Mangband\lib instead of the default .\lib to see if user specific variables can be passed in...

Failing that, we should be able to allow for an environment variable that overrides the value in mangband.ini, but it'd have to be a Windows specific hack, I think.
Mangband Project Team Member

Flambard
King Vampire

Re: Windows saved data location

Post by Flambard » Fri 16.05.2008, 10:45

I believe the request is totally legit and shall be fullfilled in one way or another. Espesially since we have *nix-specific hacks to allow that to a certain degree.