Score+death

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Score+death

Post by schroeder » Thu 29.01.2009, 23:31

Imo, a good thing to have on the ladder, would be your score resetting every time you died. Even though i am a person that dies, constantly, I feel this is only fair.
Anything worth being done, is worth being overdone.
My Mangband videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/Schroederband

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Re: Score+death

Post by Ace » Fri 30.01.2009, 13:09

Second that.

Some suggestions / alternatives:
- Score penalty which depends on the player level
- Reset score to 0 after a death and restart counting from there.
- No score at all after first death (this would be the best option since you have only 1 life in angband as well)

There were already other discussions about how score should be calculated and what is included, so I better don't mention those again :)

Ashi
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Ashi » Sat 31.01.2009, 18:36

If you feel it unfair to continue after dying, because there is only one life in Angband, then you should play a brave character.

If you think you will be jealous of a non-brave character who scores higher than you, remember that it is impossible for a decently leveled non-brave character to score higher than a brave one at equal EXP. This is because you get 150% score!

And don't forget that non-brave characters who die already pay for it with their score -- 50% of it in fact.

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Sat 31.01.2009, 19:14

> If you feel it unfair to continue after dying, because there is only one life in Angband, then you should play a brave character.

It's not unfair and I want to have unlimted lives. The problem is that the total score is not being reduced. A person that dies multiple times can archive easily the status quo with half of the points - and that is with probably most equipemnt saved and easier since more high Xp monsters can be beaten. E.g. my paladin died plenty of times but still he has a great position on the ladder. ´(and also through his many deaths it is taking more and more slots on the ladder). This is actually unfair to persons who die less == the good players.

> If you think you will be jealous of a non-brave character who scores higher than you,
The 50% bonus is nice and i have no problem with that ;)

> And don't forget that non-brave characters who die already pay for it with their score
Ah its not really a payment. Most reasons stated already above, but in general if you have a house, backup equipment and a good rescue, most of your stuff will be retrieved. If you do not do a dumb move you get the "paid" half of your score back in no time...

my 2 cents at least ;)

(had to write that post now two times, hope it works :( )

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by schroeder » Sun 01.02.2009, 07:52

And also, on your final retire after killing morgoth, any exp you lost in death WILL go back into your score. This is easily noticed by comparing the exp and score differences for both me and ascii.
Anything worth being done, is worth being overdone.
My Mangband videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/Schroederband