More bullet time options

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

More bullet time options

Post by schroeder » Tue 03.11.2009, 06:41

Had a good idea to add to bullet time thanks to Hades' post.

When detecting, you can become very vulnerable right now. A monster may decide to come at you while you are still detecting, and pwn the F out of you.
To counteract this, the game could go into bullet time while detecting.

If your in a party with other people, however, it should not go slow, cus other people are playing and could get annoyed at the sudden slowness.
They can also keep eyes open for you. It should only go slow if all people around you are detecting.

A way this could be written in the code is to do the following tests:

Code: Select all

1: Is at least one person is hurt? Then go slow.
2: Is everyone detecting? Then go slow.
3: Is everyone resting? Then go fast.
4: otherwise go normal.
Obviously, the bullet time situational code is more complicated than this, I was just demonstrating where this test could be put.

Option two could also be expanded to anything which takes the player's attention off of the character (in a menu, reading a description, and maybe even in the chat window)
I think this would greatly reduce horrible deaths, and should be implemented into bullet time.
Anything worth being done, is worth being overdone.
My Mangband videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/Schroederband

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Re: More bullet time options

Post by schroeder » Thu 22.04.2010, 08:30

Thought of another few things that could be epic;
'Frozen time' on >/</teleport/recall
Time doesn't advance until you hit a button

'Time Scale' Button. Sometimes, you may want things to go slower (ok i'm going to run down this long corridor or fight the tarrasque with low HP), or other times, you may want it to go faster (Ok orcs. I know what I'm doing. I don't need you to slow time down cus i'm hurt). If you hit the button, time would slow down. If you shift-hit it, it would speed up. If you ctrl-hit it, it would go normal.
Anything worth being done, is worth being overdone.
My Mangband videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/Schroederband

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Re: More bullet time options

Post by PowerWyrm » Thu 22.04.2010, 11:59

I've tested the "bullet time" effects for a long time now with my variant, and I found out that I didn't like the slowing effects at all. It simply won't work properly... Suddenly, time is frozen, and whatever you do won't be taken into account. I guess some input checks are missing... With my variant, the threshold for triggering the slowdown is not fixed at 40%, but mapped to the "low hitpoint warning" option. This has the advantage of retaining the resting effect (which is good), while removing the slowing effect by fixing the low hitpoint warning threshold to 0.