new Artifact: The Philosophers' Stone

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
Emulord
King Vampire

new Artifact: The Philosophers' Stone

Post by Emulord » Mon 01.03.2010, 03:01

fairly heavy Light source
Permanent light (3)
Sustains all, Hold Life
Activate for "convert item to gold"

The item conversion to gold would only return 25% of the value or so, to prevent it from being too awesome.

I think this kind of thing would help the game because there are too few artifact light sources for most players to ever find one. Most people will find an artifact weapon or armor, but rings, amulets and light sources are rare.

Thorbear
Two-Headed Troll

Re: new Artifact: The Philosophers' Stone

Post by Thorbear » Fri 12.03.2010, 16:38

I agree

... ('nuff said?)...
I am Thorbear...

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Sat 27.03.2010, 10:14

We will not create custom artifacts and new ego light-types are being considered and will probably come in the next version (or the one after that...)
Plus, a single artifact does nothing for the artifact situation which is being used as an argument here. The way to go is the base/ego combination route already planned, (probably not with lightsources though), but for most other items thats the way to achieve near artifact-power in regular items.
-- Mangband Project Team Member

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Mon 29.03.2010, 12:05

New Vanilla has ego light sources. They're great and should be considered as an alternative for arts. The "True Seeing" one is awesome with res blind, it's a good alternative to permalights (dwarven, feanorians).

serina
Crystal Ooze

Post by serina » Tue 30.03.2010, 01:33

It'd be really fun with a lightsource that lit up only the player so you're able to cast spells (lights 0 feet around the player). The source should have some powerful abilities or +2 STR +2 CON for priests who light up the entire floor with clairvoyance. Some vortices (plural of vortex I believe) and elementals would be very deadly because they cannot be seen unless you are lighting up the dungeon floor. And you'd still be able to figure out the dungeon using magic mappings.

Lantern of the depths, torch of blackoak, lantern of unlight, lantern of eternal night could be a few names to consider. I'm just thinking aloud along with everyone else :)

ZAL

Emulord
King Vampire

Post by Emulord » Tue 30.03.2010, 05:58

That would also make helms of light and the like VERY useful.

Even with priests, darkness attacks will still hurt what you can see, so it won't be too broken.