New Item: Ring of Venom

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
Emulord
King Vampire

New Item: Ring of Venom

Post by Emulord » Sun 26.09.2010, 21:18

slaying ring combined with a ring of resist poison.
This would alleviate some of the "Need to have Mirkwood boots or trickery amulet" poison resist problems.
It also matches the style of
Ring of Resist fire -> Ring of flames
, except with a slight twist. It would probably be in between mirkwood boot depth and trickery depth, but closer to mirkwood.

If full out slaying is overpowered, we might tone down the possible +s

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Re: New Item: Ring of Venom

Post by Warrior » Mon 27.09.2010, 08:25

My first thought here is that this seems mighty strong.The problem is always that some resistances are rare for a reason, as a balancing feature.

I do like the concept though, a mid/high level ring that would actually be an alternative to damage/speed rings later in the game, something I've often considered sort of a problem, the most fun part of the game is putting together something that works, uniquely for you, not *having* to base your equipment on a few given items. But then again, I think that new items should only be added to fill an unintended void that we experience due to only having one set of artifacts and in this case it's hard to see which artifact the Ring of Venom would actually target. It's stronger than Barahir and too weak (and too "ordinary" looking) to be a substitute for rings of Power. But maybe the rings of Power should have (slightly weaker and extremely rare) ego alternatives. That's another discussion probably.
-- Mangband Project Team Member

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Mon 27.09.2010, 12:40

Don't see a point to such a ring...
At midlevel, mirkwood boots are the best choice for resist poison, since there are plenty of those and nothing comes close in term of utility as boots (stability? free action? stealth?)
At high level, when you may want to use boots of speed, there are lots of items that can grant you resist poison: trickery, aman cloaks, avaris, istaris, MHDSMs...

Emulord
King Vampire

Post by Emulord » Mon 27.09.2010, 15:39

Even though you can have resist poison as a random resist, you probably want the random resists to be things you can't get elsewhere, like nether/dark/chaos/disenchant.

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by schroeder » Tue 28.09.2010, 07:52

I can actually see this as an exceedingly useful ring, especially for rogues/rangers that mele and need int. Poison and damage on one ring, confusion on amulet, speed on boots and other ring. I know I'd use one that had good +todamage (before getting PDSM)
Anything worth being done, is worth being overdone.
My Mangband videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/Schroederband