Water and Lava

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
Bobert
Hobgoblin

Water and Lava

Post by Bobert » Sun 27.04.2003, 16:25

This, I imagine, would be a fairly minor addition.

In Zangband, there are often streams, and even rivers and lakes running through the dungeon.  At lower levels, these are replaced with lava.  I don't think it would be an enormously big deal, but it would add a bit of flavour to underground adventuring.

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Re: Water and Lava

Post by Fink » Sun 11.07.2004, 19:13

This is an interesting idea. A level would certainly be spiced up if the only way to get accross the river of lava was to use your teleport or blink spell. Who know's what you would end up next to :P

This feature is as well in ADOM, and gives rise to some neat possibilities. For example, in ADOM, if you want to cross a subterranean river in a dungeon, but don't want to damage your eq by wading through (or, in ADOMs cas as well, don't want to drown), you can fire a frost bolt over the river to make an ice ice bridge accross it. Pretty cool!

-Fink

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Re: Water and Lava

Post by Berendol » Sun 18.07.2004, 08:25

I tried. I really did. The wall I ran into was this: All the dungeon "features" are hard-coded and collisions are checked by way of a bitwise AND, which is not the way most variants of newer Angbands (or indeed newer vanilla Angbands) check the feature. Does anyone know how to add dungeon features without reworking large amounts of code?
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)