Multiple servers from one IP

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Multiple servers from one IP

Post by Fink » Sun 12.08.2007, 21:00

Now don't go off on a big monologue about how huge a task this would be - I know that.

But, just to plant the seed, long term, it would be useful for us to consider at some point (probably when the much enfabled "great netcode rewrite" comes to pass) ensuring a setup that allows more than one server to be run from a single IP.

For instance, I find myself wanting to run two more servers here, in addition to the one I have (there are a couple things I want to support by way of hosting a server). This of course isn't something that is supported right now.

So, seed planted. Hoohah.

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Re: Multiple servers from one IP

Post by Berendol » Mon 13.08.2007, 15:25

Seed fertilized for great justice!

Yes, it's a good idea! This is an excellent place (this thread and board) to discuss its implementation, too.

AFAIK, to make this work, the metaserver needs to have a field for the port number. Crimson, is this possible with the current metaserver, or will it break things?
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Billsey
King Vampire

Re: Multiple servers from one IP

Post by Billsey » Fri 17.08.2007, 01:10

Don't know about the meta-server, but it wouldn't be too tough to make the port the server listens to configurable at runtime. The client would need modification too though, and that would have to tie into a meta-server change.
Mangband Project Team Member