Let's do it, let's do it, let's do it

New ideas, features you wish were in the game.
Berendol
Evil Iggy

Re: Let's do it, let's do it, let's do it

Post by Berendol » Fri 29.06.2007, 21:19

Thanks. I have Tortoise from a while back when I wanted to look at Jug's code. I used to use the ci & co commands back when I used that stuff in a class in college, but I haven't since then (and it's been a while.)

Most likely I will be doing development work in a Ubuntu image under VMWare, so I'll get an SVN package for that.
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Flambard
King Vampire

Post by Flambard » Sat 30.06.2007, 09:02

While reading those svn guides myself I decided to setup the repositry in a more correct way. If you wish to work on it, checkout trunk. Other branches are now possible for experiments, bug fixes, etc.

New address is here: http://dflocal.mindloop.ru/mangband/trunk

Web view

Trunk changelog [sub](4 changes not listed are those I mentioned before on the thread)[/sub]

PM me for username/password

[hr]

(yesterday Smoker tested DM's new ghost powers from BMAngband and I think they should move in to trunk. Reasoning: Dungeon Master is not really a ghost :) He is a powerfull deity whos purpose is to create interesting dungeons and spice up the gameplay. Therefore, standart ghost spells such as Blink are no use for him, but those special spells, like Recall to Bottom could be VERY usefull for such a character.. )

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Sat 30.06.2007, 21:30

Yes, I basically said "Hey that would be really useful" and then did it. Glad you liked it too. :)

The DM recall-to-wild feature is mainly so the DM can have a superfortress waaaay out in the wilderness somewhere that's unlikely to be found out, for quest rewards (via the *acquirement* power), etc. Just make sure you static it so the fortress stays after you construct it.

The recall-to-bottom feature is beautiful for testing.

Also, did you notice the lack of recall delay for DM? It's great. Also, you can just hold down stair-up or stair-down to blaze up and down the dungeon much faster than any troublesome player can evade you.

The BMAngband DM also got super-powered attack spells for nuking players and items.

I heartily recommend using that code in the main code as well, since DM does not need nether bolt, blink, etc.

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Sun 01.07.2007, 13:39

With PW's help, I got the console compiled. Actually, come to think of it, maybe Billsey just sent me a build of it :P

The console isn't hugely featured - PW mentioned that the main use for it, in the context of the win/Jug code, is that it's the proper way to safely shut down a server (ie, so you dont wipe items on player's floors, as happens when you just brute force kill a server).

Flambard
King Vampire

Post by Flambard » Sun 01.07.2007, 19:43

Fink, it's great to hear!

Would you elaborate and commit nessecary changes to the svn or perhaps tell me what changes are those.. or maybe you like to send me this code? Please :)

Otherwise, I'll bug PW, hehe. Yeah the console isn't too usefull, from what I saw, but it would be nice to make it windows-compilable anyway,  just in case anyone wants it.

(Btw, that explains why the objects were wiping on the test server. - the process is being killed each hour! I'll have to look into this :)

Edit: It seems I'll probably have to bug Billsey, lol

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Sun 01.07.2007, 20:35

Yeah, PW verified the item-wipe bug. The problem I run into is that if I don't set the server to autorestart (that is, so that I can actually shut it down via console safely), then if it crashes, it wont restart, heh.

If you use IRC, idle in irc.perl.org #mangband - a hadful of us pass through there. Be forewarned that the conversations are kind of slow motion :P

On that note, another voice pestering Crimson (who hangs there) to set up the svn will help as well (in time, of course - he is quite possibly one of the busiest people I have ever encountered).

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Mon 02.07.2007, 21:54

Now, is a hadful a metric or local unit?

On a more serious note, a web-based archive or front-end to the IRC channel would be ridiculously great to have. Something that bridges the gap between real-time chat and forums. Has anyone seen any software that can do this? If so, please post a link, and someone running a server may be able to run it.

Something else of note... I have discovered that the server version of VMWare can run multiple virtual machines at the same time. Woo hoo, we can test multiple player scenarios without multiple physical computers!

Flambard
King Vampire

Post by Flambard » Sat 14.07.2007, 23:47

Here's what I found:

http://inamidst.com/eph/noets

and to more degree:

http://www.ddj.com/184412325

and btw, why don't you attend to the channel itself. If you don't have much free time on your hands, you could always idle there indefinitly :P

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Sun 15.07.2007, 13:31

We've been through this enough times, Fink. This is the last. No, I will not idle on the channel. My computer's only on when I'm using it, and I don't care to leave IRC clients open. If anyone needs to talk to me, they have forums and email.

Since you're supposedly on there all the time, why not log the channel for everyone else? A small script should do the trick, and you could run that alongside your server. I know of plenty of lightweight http daemons that would work fine.

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Sun 15.07.2007, 13:43

[quote author=Berendol link=board=thinktank;num=1182358823;start=15#23 date=07/15/07 at 13:31:37]We've been through this enough times, Fink. This is the last. [/quote]

Exactly when was I talking to you in the thread above?