Time Hound glitch

Think you've found a bug? Please report it here.
Ardor
Giant Gnat

Time Hound glitch

Post by Ardor » Sun 07.11.2010, 10:17

I realize this happened back in June, so this may be fixed now, but I had thought all this time that Time Hounds were suppose to breath though walls. It wasn't until recently that someone on the IRC I was chatting with said that nothing is suppose to breath though walls. I have three deaths here, only 2 of which seem to be the result of the possible glitch, all on June 6 2010. The glitch of Time Hounds breathing though walls killed Trinadon and Evileye. Logan's death is listed for your information about the vault etc.

Logan, http://mangband.org/Main/HighScoreChart ... 5057391410
Trinadon (aka me), http://mangband.org/Main/HighScoreChart ... 5057391126
and Evileye http://mangband.org/Main/HighScoreChart ... 5057448364

I was partying with Logan when I found this perma-rock vault. I didn't wait for him so I could get first choice of the loot. While I was making my way though the trap hallway around the central open room of the vault, Logan caught up, only to be teleported inside by "Lorgan, Chief of the Easterlings". Lorgan summoned a Kobold shaman and an iron golem. Then Lorgan summoned the at least 2 Time Hounds, or 2 Time Hounds in the vault already killed me though the perma-rock, then killed Logan. Evileye came to save us and he died were I died. Evileye and I had esp which show the 2 hounds, we were the ones who were glitched. My vision was limited, I know, but it is clear from Evileye's death screen that the only time hounds were on the other side of rock. They didn't breath around a corner, or anything like that. You can read in my final acts that I was sensing creatures just to see what was going on in addition to esp, and there weren't any hounds down the hallway.

I'm not some crybaby, but I lost an artifact and a speed ring +11 which I still haven't found a replacement for (only +9). I don't know if Evileye still plays, but if Time Hounds aren't suppose to breath though walls, I call "SHINANIGANS" and invite you to make reparations (since I still play the same character) and fix the bug.

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Re: Time Hound glitch

Post by PowerWyrm » Mon 08.11.2010, 14:36

This sounds like an old bug where characters could be cloned in town...
My guess is the following: when Logan died, the hounds' closest character pointer was not reset, but instead passed to the next character ID, which would be Trinadon, and then Evileye when Trinadon died. The problem is that the breathing path was not recalculated for those hounds, ignoring the wall between them and the characters.
A nasty bug indeed...

Ardor
Giant Gnat

Post by Ardor » Tue 09.11.2010, 01:57

That could be the bug, is it fixed?

Logan
Mangy-Looking Leper

Post by Logan » Tue 30.11.2010, 08:48

It seems that my death cited was accuratedly described. Lorgan summoned me to him through the walls, where the time hounds were able to breathe on me and kill me. I guess this issue could still potentially kill players, so I hope someone figures this thing out.

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Tue 30.11.2010, 14:06

Ah I understand now!!!

Check this:
http://www.mangband.org/Main/HighScoreC ... -603987418

This is exactly the same problem. My character was standing on top of the room, next to the red trap. The purple h (a dark elven sorcerer) cast tele_to and I ended up inside the big room. Not a bug, but a very nasty problem with tele_to. Considering the stupidity of the situation, I kinda fixed the issue for my variant by disallowing tele_to on icky terrain to be consistent with phase/teleport. So Lorgan casting tele_to would move your character outside of the vault.

For Angband, I already posted a RFE to the bug database. It's here:
http://trac.rephial.org/ticket/623

I think the same behavior should be applied to MAngband.

Logan
Mangy-Looking Leper

Post by Logan » Thu 02.12.2010, 00:13

Now I understand my death. Thank you!
Here's hoping that a MAngband programmer will look at this page and solve the problem in the next release.

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Thu 02.12.2010, 13:50

There are many problems that should be fixed before next version IMHO. The gravity/nexus breath bug. The tele_to problem. The "item appears at 0,0" problem. And some more...
This asks for a 1.1.3 release... considering that 1.2 won't be out for many months (years?).

Ardor
Giant Gnat

Post by Ardor » Tue 07.12.2010, 20:26

Ardor wrote:The glitch of Time Hounds breathing though walls killed Trinadon and Evileye. Logan's death is listed for your information about the vault etc.
Ok, so now I know that Logan was screwed too. I herby add him to my claim of SHINANIGANS.