BigJuan is a Punk!

Post the obvious, so we can all chuckle with you...
Avenger
Skeleton 2-Headed Troll

Re: BigJuan is a Punk!

Post by Avenger » Wed 15.02.2006, 17:16

I understand Angus' position here, since I've been playing awhile and I've seen him be both helpful and ...not so helpful.  However from what I've read so far, Bigjuan killed Bran without apparent reason. This is not good for the game, and is, in my opinion not very different from Kull's little return a week ago or so. Bigjuan, we've been slowly rebuilding MAngband for the past couple months, and we have developed an active player base again... something we haven't had for a while. I hope this will be a one time occurence and not another game killing run like Kull had when he first showed up. I also agree with Warrior, in that returning this way to MAngband was one of the worst possible things that could have happened, especially when Kull just did somethign similar a few weeks ago. Please lighten up a bit Juan, and if you want to kill somebody, make sure they give you at least a halfway decent reason.

My apologies if this post isn't entirely coherent, I'm typing this as I'm in class doing some computer programming, so I'm not exactly giving this my full attention.

-Avenger

Branmuffin
Clear Yeek

Post by Branmuffin » Wed 15.02.2006, 17:20

[Branflake] I hate you
[Branflake] and I hate your family
[Branflake] I even hate your dog
[Branflake] and I hate your name
[Branflake] I hate your kids
[Bigjuan] You're just jealous 'cos I'm pretty
[Branflake] I hate your 3rd grade teacher too
[Branflake] and I hate your little brother's tennis shoes

If this is what you take as whiney, you need to go back and brush up on "Sarcastic Humor 101".  You really think "I hate you're 3rd grade teacher and your little brother's tennis shoes" was anything but jest?  I think you need to find a better excuse, or just come out of the closet and admit you did it to be cruel.  But I know you won't because you don't have a better excuse and you're too scared to admit that you were just being a jerk.

Domino
Giant Hunter Ant

Post by Domino » Wed 15.02.2006, 17:57

Me afraid to admit to being a jerk?  Hell man I am THE jerk of the mangband community (well bigjuan may be worse and kull just doesnt bear mentioning).

I may just need to brush up on sarcastic humor 101 though!

I think I'll blame that lapse on the severe lack of sleep I had valentine's night (mmm jaccuzi suite)..
King of the Hill Baby!

Big_Juan_Teh_Furby
Iridescent Beetle

Post by Big_Juan_Teh_Furby » Wed 15.02.2006, 18:04

I, however, offer no such apologies.

DIE DIE DIE.
When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can turn into deadly projectiles.

MunkYBoY
Skeleton Hobgoblin

Post by MunkYBoY » Wed 15.02.2006, 18:40

*aside* drama strikes the MAngband community again. after an onslougt by kull, bigjuan and angus return and kill yet another player. kinda sounds like a soap opera which is funny. i could have sworn this was just a game and not some kind of life changing thing. if you were REALLY wanting to MAngband with any chance of getting arts you'd all be playing Angband right now. but i like the community so thats why i stay around, everynow and then that is. but i cannot cannot cannot stand being around a bunch of people who bitch and whine for one reason or another. for seriously if i were pkilled i would be annoyed but not so far as to say i hate someone, sarcastically or not. though in my opinion pking brings some kind of balance to MAngband. honestly tho, one neednt go so far as to completely destroy another player by killing their ghost. at least wait for them to revive or you could revive then kill them.

Avenger
Skeleton 2-Headed Troll

Post by Avenger » Wed 15.02.2006, 18:46

Apparently I didn't state my question explicitly enough in my last post. Bigjuan, why exactly did you kill Bran in the first place?

Big_Juan_Teh_Furby
Iridescent Beetle

Post by Big_Juan_Teh_Furby » Wed 15.02.2006, 18:48

Nah, it was explicit enough.  I didn't feel like responding.
When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can turn into deadly projectiles.

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Wed 15.02.2006, 23:22

Basicly it is this... no one tells Angus or Big Juan what to do and lives to tell about it... unfortunately i did not Warn a friend...  :-[

What strikes me as odd is why the "best players" in the game would deal with this in this manner... A game is a game...Whether or not those who play it care about others or not is besides the point. I ate it twice from the same guys. IT takes two to Tango. I was also repayed for my troubles on several occasions. Be proactive not reactive. Reactions cause further irritation... Proaction brings about a better end result.

Starting from scratch bites!
My Condolences, Branflake!

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Thu 16.02.2006, 00:39

This really is rather pitiful.

This would seem to be the scenario in a nutshell:

1. Dude discovers a huge 24 piece art hoard in a house, and posts a list on the form.

2. Angus and BigJuan are displeased at their year-old art hoard being listed, and kill Dude.

3. Dude is understandably a bit miffed, and gets rather vocal about this shoddy treatment.

4. Angus and Juan appear to pull the "Oo! Oo! Look what he just called me! I can kill him for that!!!!" (which in parenting I think is called the Retroactive Justification Ploy, heh), and proceed to kill Dude's ghost, and try to make some headway on killing Dude's alternate characters.

5. Juan then rolls by for an encore to tell us, seemingly blind to the delicious irony, that art doesn't matter.

Big_Juan_Teh_Furby
Iridescent Beetle

Post by Big_Juan_Teh_Furby » Thu 16.02.2006, 01:38

1.) There was no headway, I killed his...uh....I think it was a mage when he logged it in.

2.) Angus killed the ghost, not me.  Sadly.

3.) Did anyone stop and consider that *maybe* he was killed not for talking about an arts hoard, but maybe it was for his gear?  Anyone know he had +10 speed boots?  I've been playing for quite awhile, and I can't exactly say I've got a ton of speed boots...let alone +10's.

Thank you, drive thru.

Domino
Giant Hunter Ant

Post by Domino » Thu 16.02.2006, 14:05

Thier year old art hoard?

Nono, it's all mine!  Now admittedly, Branmuffin's complaining was what brought him to our attention, however most of you guys probably had a realy good idea where most of the found arts were and that in and of itself was never an issue to me.  Quite frankly I was hoping that the server had been reset and was up to 0.8.0 by now as was promised as soon as someone kinged (Justice in less than 2 months from new server uptime).

And Fink old man, you know how I play and there is almost always uproar at some point or another during the time I'm active, caused by yours truly.

See for some obscure reason most of the community believes that PK has no place in Mangband, while Juan and I disagree.   Unfortunately for you, Crimson also disagrees and while admittedly Juan and I push the evelope of the agreed on server rules, neither of us break them.  Be happy that neither of us play like Kull.

We used to be able to kill when and how we wanted.  Crimson changed that and we can no longer kill in town.  No whining here, just adaptation to the new rules.. When and if Crimson decides to change those rules again we will then abide by the new set or play elsewhere.

Until that point happens, you all are more than welcome to regulate to your hearts content.  If you choose to come kill me or Juan then all the merrier.  It's a game.  A game about bragging rights and being king of the hill.  You may disagree, but in the end as has been gone over on these very forums over and over that's the bottom line.
King of the Hill Baby!

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Thu 16.02.2006, 15:19

Everything is fine.. maybe PKilling is necesary... but, sometime when a character is Level 50 , and kill a level 32 , this is an abuse.. don't you think?

In the other hand.. you have been running a character for 2 or 3 months and in a round. cos your face is ugly, somebody with godly powers came and just kill , 3 month thrown to garbage.

Angus , and the other level 50 players are too strong for everybody else to even imagine confront them. I' starting to thing that was for the hoard, was a simple revenge for his curiosity.

But,  is that a good way to tell him that was wrong? he doesn't even know the owner of that house. don;t you think you overreacted?

A good rule , that I saw in another games is that you can not kill a player 10% bigger or lower than your level.
These will keep Pk in a situation more fair.

and Angus , Bigjuan , if you are really a good guys... help bran to recover a chacracter with some power.

COME ON!!! give him a kiss...!!!! and play togeter!!

And Crimson.. run the script that respawn the arts that are not used for some time. we all want to find them!!!

Big_Juan_Teh_Furby
Iridescent Beetle

Post by Big_Juan_Teh_Furby » Thu 16.02.2006, 15:28

Here's a question for all of you pro-art people...what are YOU going to do with the boomerangs?

Say you're level 28, and you find one of the boomerang daggers.  Whoopie do.  Your current weapon and all three of your backups do 10 times the damage.

For the most part, the arts that are left are garbage arts anyway.  Sure, give one to a level 1 and they'll do well for about 20 levels or so, but if that's the case, you can easially give them something else that'll undoubtedly do better.

So, tell me...what are you going to do with a boomerang?

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Thu 16.02.2006, 15:45

easy my friend.. sell it.. get money or simple leave for another  people that can find it

No matter if that is shit.. for your level everything is shit.
but for my level 18 warrior a staff of detection is great.

What is aragorn without his sword? nothing more than a ranger, that's the point. Artifacts give some flavor to the game, you go down to find the artifacts. you can share your artifacts between friends.

Leave them in your house if plan to die and want to have abackup.. but those hoards are backsups of backups of backups.

Big_Juan_Teh_Furby
Iridescent Beetle

Post by Big_Juan_Teh_Furby » Thu 16.02.2006, 15:57

Okay, but I think you're missing the point.  Or maybe I am...that's been known to happen.

What I'm saying is that almost all of the "good" arts are out.  You're not going to GET to find them, and the ones that are left are, for the most part, garbage.  You're better served by wielding a Holy Avenger than you are one of the boomerangs, as an example.

The bottom line, though, in my mind is this:

If I find an art, what I want to do it is my choice.  If I want to leave the best arts collecting dust in my house, if I found them (or bought them), that's entirely my choice.  No one elses.

(Well, 'cept Crimson, of course.)

As has been pointed out time and time again, this is a king-of-the-hill game.  Part of that is keeping stuff out of the hands of your enemies, or potential enemies.  As soon as it becomes a fluffy, hand-holding, beat-everything-with-love-and-hugs-and-flowers game, I'll be quite happy to hand out any arts I don't want, or sell them, or simply leave them in a dungeon so that they'll pop back into the database.

Until then...no.