Grand master mystic and stun

Post the obvious, so we can all chuckle with you...
userjjb
Greedy Little Gnome

Grand master mystic and stun

Post by userjjb » Wed 24.07.2013, 04:53

Dump here: http://www.mangband.org/Main/HighScoreC ... 4333715776

I was fighting a grand master mystic for the first (and last) time. I was quickly surprised to find myself chain stunned, followed by knocked out. Unable to do anything I sat and watched my life be slowly whittled away. I'm confused as to how this happened considering I had FA (and res sound, though I don't think that matters anyway though I know it can lead to stun).
He can kick to attack with damage 20d2, kick to attack with damage 10d2, hit to poison with damage 20d1 and hit to paralyze with damage 15d1.
Does the "hit to paralyze" simply bypass FA? How could I have prevented this? It's frustrating because I was doing quite well and playing fairly conservatively, only to die to what seems like an unavoidable circumstance.

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Re: Grand master mystic and stun

Post by PowerWyrm » Wed 24.07.2013, 10:56

You learned it the hard way... "Stun" attacks from monsters are unresistable. The amount of "stunning" from an attack is obtained by comparing the damage of the attack with the maximum damage that the attack can do. Concerning Grand master mystic, you can see that he has two attacks that do 20d1 and 15d1 damage... which of course ALWAYS do max damage! So any of those attacks landing on you will increment the stun counter by 1... and when it reaches 3, you're dead.

Conclusion: either be sure to have astronomical AC when fighting these guys (you get stunned only if the attack HITS)... or do as everybody else does, ignore them, banish them or teleport them away.

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Mon 05.08.2013, 10:45

I thought the deal was that if you have res sound, you won't get knocked out by melee?
-- Mangband Project Team Member

userjjb
Greedy Little Gnome

Post by userjjb » Mon 05.08.2013, 18:39

Warrior wrote:I thought the deal was that if you have res sound, you won't get knocked out by melee?
I had typed out a nice response to this, and per usual the board required me to sign in twice in a row and then spit me back to the index page, so I lost everything I had written. Getting a little sick of this.

The tl;dr version is this: unresistable; only the two mystics listed have the ability to stun you 100% of the time, and then knock you out, or stunlock you; there is no indication of this behavior to the player and you *will* die to it if you don't escape in time. Any other monster at most has a 1-2% chance to stun you. I think this is kinda cheap and inconsistent with the rest of the game.

(See also http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewtopic ... 739d9a36e7 for an in-depth analysis of this)

serina
Crystal Ooze

Post by serina » Thu 10.10.2013, 22:16

The Dark Lord works in mysterious ways.

Mystics, Master mystics and Grand master mystics are simply a means of getting you killed. Perhaps they should be changed from a p to a "skull-icon". And perhaps we could put up a warning on ThorBot? They really do stun no matter what you do unless you have incredible AC - that's for sure. Several of my mages have been heavily stunned even with res sound, but I knew what to expect, so I got away in time.

ZAL

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Fri 11.10.2013, 11:14

Don't you always banish "p" with a mage? That's my way of dealing with mystics ;)

serina
Crystal Ooze

Post by serina » Sat 19.10.2013, 22:27

I do :).

p's are mean and definate ways to die. Mystics, enchantresses and sorcerors.

No meantionable xp, no incredible loots regularly - extreme high risk vs. reward.

ZAL