More artifacts available!

Official MAngband News Annoucements
Ace
Crystal Ooze
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri 15.02.2008, 12:50

Re: More artifacts available!

Post by Ace » Fri 19.03.2010, 07:48

too bad i have so little time ^sob^ :(

Go fo´r the arts! :)

Warrior
Ancient MultiHued Dragon
Posts: 662
Joined: Sat 26.10.2002, 15:00
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: More artifacts available!

Post by Warrior » Sun 11.07.2010, 13:43

20-30 artifacts reset today from 15 characters.

Please note that due to a mistake one of these characters had logged in during the last couple of weeks, but before that had been inactive for more than four months. Considering that the removal of artifacts after two months is an announced practice on the server, this mistake will not be corrected.
I have left a note in your inventory or on replacement items in your equipment indicating which artifacts were sold/reset.

Some of the newly available artifacts are very, very powerful.

Happy artifact hunting!
-- Mangband Project Team Member

PowerWyrm
Balrog
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sun 27.11.2005, 15:57

Re: More artifacts available!

Post by PowerWyrm » Sun 11.07.2010, 20:55

Ace wrote:too bad i have so little time ^sob^ :(

Go fo´r the arts! :)
Yeah give up Feanor :p

Ace
Crystal Ooze
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri 15.02.2008, 12:50

Re: More artifacts available!

Post by Ace » Mon 12.07.2010, 11:20

And I thought were friends ;)

PowerWyrm
Balrog
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sun 27.11.2005, 15:57

Re: More artifacts available!

Post by PowerWyrm » Mon 12.07.2010, 12:42

Warrior wrote:20-30 artifacts reset today from 15 characters.

Please note that due to a mistake one of these characters had logged in during the last couple of weeks, but before that had been inactive for more than four months. Considering that the removal of artifacts after two months is an announced practice on the server, this mistake will not be corrected.
I have left a note in your inventory or on replacement items in your equipment indicating which artifacts were sold/reset.

Some of the newly available artifacts are very, very powerful.

Happy artifact hunting!
If that char was my mage, no problem with resetting Maedhros... I'm only keeping that char for the player shop, and didn't really need that art (except for the little int/speed binus it provided). No problem resetting Rohirrim either, since I don't have time to play the char that had it...
Just a little request... maybe find an appropriate "replacement" item for all reset arts instead of money. Dunno... if someone wants to play an inactive char again, it would be nice to be able to dive again without having to scum very shallow depth or BM for specific ability/resist (FA, conf, blind...)

The Official MAngband Servers
mangband.org Number of players: 3 Names: Acenoid McLovin Yissa Version: 1.1.2

LOL...
BTW, with the DM item generation menu, you could get +15 speed boots as replacement for Feanor ;)

PowerWyrm
Balrog
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sun 27.11.2005, 15:57

Re: More artifacts available!

Post by PowerWyrm » Mon 12.07.2010, 12:46

Hmm why is BBCode disabled? It's enabled in my control panel...

Ace
Crystal Ooze
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri 15.02.2008, 12:50

Re: More artifacts available!

Post by Ace » Mon 12.07.2010, 14:11

[q]he Official MAngband Servers
mangband.org Number of players: 3 Names: Acenoid McLovin Yissa Version: 1.1.2

LOL...
BTW, with the DM item generation menu, you could get +15 speed boots as replacement for Feanor ;)[/q]

the paranoia has set in :)
I'll promise i will play more often so maybe you will have them soon ;)

grisu
Giant Long-Eared Bat
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu 21.12.2006, 13:33

Re: More artifacts available!

Post by grisu » Mon 12.07.2010, 14:49

Warrior wrote:20-30 artifacts reset today from 15 characters.

Please note that due to a mistake one of these characters had logged in during the last couple of weeks, but before that had been inactive for more than four months. Considering that the removal of artifacts after two months is an announced practice on the server, this mistake will not be corrected.
I have left a note in your inventory or on replacement items in your equipment indicating which artifacts were sold/reset.

Some of the newly available artifacts are very, very powerful.

Happy artifact hunting!
No problem for art removing, but the way was not correct.
Its not just one char like you said, all my chars who were active the last days (partly you were even online)
lost their arts, while all my inactive chars have kept the arts. Thats strange.
One of them got a new password and I cant login with it (last login was like 3 days ago).
I dont want the arts back and its good for the game to put arts back, so I appreciate
your work, but please do it next time with some more carefullness.

Warrior
Ancient MultiHued Dragon
Posts: 662
Joined: Sat 26.10.2002, 15:00
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: More artifacts available!

Post by Warrior » Mon 12.07.2010, 16:11

grisu wrote:No problem for art removing, but the way was not correct.
Its not just one char like you said, all my chars who were active the last days (partly you were even online)
lost their arts, while all my inactive chars have kept the arts. Thats strange.
One of them got a new password and I cant login with it (last login was like 3 days ago).
I dont want the arts back and its good for the game to put arts back, so I appreciate
your work, but please do it next time with some more carefullness.
I'm really sorry about that, would you be able to specify the names? For the time being we're not able to do these resets any other way than manually so there is unfortunately a chance of screwing things up, the passwords are hashed in the savefiles so they have to be copied out, replaced by a temporary password and then pasted back in after the artifacts/houses are sold. Unless there is an error in the our scripts we should not have touched any artifacts of any users who had logged in for the last 85 days, the majority between 100 and 360 days (as of July 1'st) - However, I failed to cross-check everyone against the temporary logs since that date, which is what happened in your case.
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Ace
Crystal Ooze
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri 15.02.2008, 12:50

Re: More artifacts available!

Post by Ace » Mon 12.07.2010, 22:52

Maybe this is not really the way to go, I know thaere has been a lot of discussions about those artifacts and hoarding but when irght becomes wrong or how many people have to be "incorrectly targeted" by art removal. Strictly speaking my chars are also not active for quite some time though I 'll try to login regurlarly. And I would really like to play some more again, but well yeah...

I think some limitations on # characters per user or something could already prevent hoarding, or simply following a we dont care strategy... maybe you could also every 6 months run the big sauron all rartifacts removed spell.... :) So everybody has chances to refind them. For Super rare arts maybe the time can be longer.

This way the "hunt" is always restarted even on an instance that is long running,,,

Also important (for the next instance) is to implement the improved vaults where you do not get a large number of excellents (the vault with the doors) e.g. Becuase that is early-instance an artifact generator :)

Thorbear
Two-Headed Troll
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed 12.01.2005, 15:00
Location: Check my IP
Contact:

Re: More artifacts available!

Post by Thorbear » Mon 12.07.2010, 23:10

I actually like the rules the way they are about artifacts, but they need some automation. Like Warrior put it, it involves humans, and therefore makes room for mistakes.
A limitation on the number of chars _could_ be a good idea, but on the other hand, for some people that likes to start a bunch of chars without hoarding arts (*cough cough* zal *cough cough*) these kind of rules would cause nothing but annoyance. After all, we're not thousands of players here, rules shouldn't have to be too strict...

Emulord
King Vampire
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon 30.04.2007, 20:19
Location: UIUC

Re: More artifacts available!

Post by Emulord » Tue 13.07.2010, 00:35

A long time ago arts were 100x more rare. Now this is silly, since we dont have 100 players, but we do have about 10-25 active players most of the time. Why not make arts 25x rarer so then scumming for arts immediately after arts are freed isnt so easy.

This also makes it go from "damnit this guaranteed excellent was a crapart" to "oh man! i found a crap art. thats pretty rare even though i dont care"

Resets wouldn't have to happen as often since less arts would be taken up at any point.

PowerWyrm
Balrog
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sun 27.11.2005, 15:57

Re: More artifacts available!

Post by PowerWyrm » Tue 13.07.2010, 13:04

Ace wrote:I think some limitations on # characters per user or something could already prevent hoarding, or simply following a we dont care strategy... maybe you could also every 6 months run the big sauron all rartifacts removed spell.... :) So everybody has chances to refind them. For Super rare arts maybe the time can be longer.
My variant has accounts. It's a first step to avoid the problem because unless you write down the names of all your chars somewhere, you'll probably forget some of them... and if they got arts, they will be unavailable for other players.
About resetting arts every 6 months, I'm totally against this. Although I'm probably using only 5 arts on all my chars (3 on my main mage and 2 on a backup warrior), losing them would mean losing many vital resists, stats, or "power" in general. I'm mostly playing brave characters and never store backups (except for one or two characters that serve as "shopkeepers"). Resetting arts periodically would mean storing a huge amount of backup stuff which would cover all resists, stats and abilities to be able to reequip after losing arts. This is not possible unless the whole house system is changed.

PowerWyrm
Balrog
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sun 27.11.2005, 15:57

Re: More artifacts available!

Post by PowerWyrm » Tue 13.07.2010, 13:05

And BBCode is OFF again...

Thorbear
Two-Headed Troll
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed 12.01.2005, 15:00
Location: Check my IP
Contact:

Re: More artifacts available!

Post by Thorbear » Tue 13.07.2010, 13:32

Zaxx wrote:About resetting arts every 6 months, I'm totally against this. Although I'm probably using only 5 arts on all my chars (3 on my main mage and 2 on a backup warrior), losing them would mean losing many vital resists, stats, or "power" in general. I'm mostly playing brave characters and never store backups (except for one or two characters that serve as "shopkeepers"). Resetting arts periodically would mean storing a huge amount of backup stuff which would cover all resists, stats and abilities to be able to reequip after losing arts. This is not possible unless the whole house system is changed.
"Only 5 arts" is a funny statement =) Most new players never even use 1... I only use 1 on all my chars. I once had some more, but figured I didn't play the other chars as much as my mage, so I sold the arts they were holding.
But I agree that resetting *all* arts every 6 months isn't they way to go.

And BBcode is off for all normal users in the news-section in the forum...

Post Reply