Ironman Competition (please vote)

Official MAngband News Annoucements

When and how long should the next Ironman Competition be?

July - One weekend
No votes
August - One weekend
No votes
July - One week
No votes
August - One week
No votes
July - Two weeks
50%
August - Two weeks
No votes
July - One month
33%
August - One month
No votes
Other [please describe below]
17%

Total votes: 6

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Ironman Competition (please vote)

Post by Warrior » Tue 29.06.2010, 19:40

We've been thinking about having another Ironman Contest sometime this summer and would like to arrange this at a time where as many as possible would be able to participate.

Previous competitions lasted one month, which I think may be a little bit too long so I'll throw out some suggestions here for dates and duration.

Please also post here about what specific dates you'd prefer with each option (such as July 2'nd to July 9th for example).

[Edit]
There would be prizes for the deepest depth reached as well as for the highest level. In addition there may be a prize for the deepest unique killed, the exact details will be fleshed out later.
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Thorbear
Two-Headed Troll

Re: Ironman Competition

Post by Thorbear » Tue 29.06.2010, 22:52

Hmm, any date is as good/bad as any for me... Got no definite plans, but a hell load of unplanned plans...
I am Thorbear...

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by schroeder » Wed 30.06.2010, 01:12

I think that if it was for just one weekend, the servers would get a little cramped. Also, a week would put all those who had school/work at a greater disadvantage to those who were free. If we want it to be shorter, I'd recommend 2 weeks instead of one.

The only time I'm really busy (on vacation in canada) is from august 13th-19th, so I'd prefer if the only week/weekend of the competition wasn't then.
Anything worth being done, is worth being overdone.
My Mangband videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/Schroederband

Emulord
King Vampire

Post by Emulord » Wed 30.06.2010, 04:06

im busy the first week of august, but other than that I have no plans, so I'll vote for 2 weeks in july

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Re: Ironman Competition (please vote)

Post by Ace » Fri 09.07.2010, 17:33

Well how does the competition work? Who gets deepest in two weeks?

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Fri 09.07.2010, 21:05

Who gets the deepest and who gets the most experience. Maybe there will also be a bonus price for deepest unique killed :)

Emulord
King Vampire

Post by Emulord » Sat 10.07.2010, 22:10

So when is this happening?

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Sun 11.07.2010, 13:49

I'm not sure, but obviously won't be in the first two weeks of July at least, maybe the last two weeks, I'll discuss with the rest of the team and give an update here.

[Update June 12'th]

Due to technical difficulties we might not be able to arrange this for a while, the servers where we intended to run the competition do not show up consistently on the metaserver. We are looking into what may be causing this and hope to have it fixed soon so the competition can be started as soon as possible :)

grisu
Giant Long-Eared Bat

Post by grisu » Mon 19.07.2010, 19:58

I dont like contests and would prefer team-play to move further chars to deeper levels.

Thorbear
Two-Headed Troll

Post by Thorbear » Mon 19.07.2010, 20:36

Warrior wrote:I'm not sure, but obviously won't be in the first two weeks of July at least, maybe the last two weeks, I'll discuss with the rest of the team and give an update here.

[Update June 12'th]

Due to technical difficulties we might not be able to arrange this for a while, the servers where we intended to run the competition do not show up consistently on the metaserver. We are looking into what may be causing this and hope to have it fixed soon so the competition can be started as soon as possible :)
"June 12'th" ? =P
You're good, updating the post a month before it is posted... May I borrow your time machine tomorrow? ^^

Hope you get the problem resolved soon... even if I'll probably have better chances in the competition if it starts after the 8th of august ;-)

pontus
Filthy Street Urchin

Post by pontus » Mon 02.08.2010, 19:32

Yo, sup and such. Lost hd month ago. Must be karma for bad language :P I feel bit sad that cant participate for ironman contest. And was about to try 4k and 5k chars towards end before that. For plan is to purchase whole new system needs investment and looks possible in couple of weeks. See ya then fellas. :)