Potions of Healing

All your questions answered.
Myamoto
Pitiful-Looking Beggar

Potions of Healing

Post by Myamoto » Thu 03.12.2009, 02:03

In order to get a sufficient supply of potions of healing i spend most of my playing time in town.
This is an annoyance and not the way i want to play a computer game! Am i doing it wrong?

Shouldn't shops sell *more* potions of healing?

Emulord
King Vampire

Re: Potions of Healing

Post by Emulord » Thu 03.12.2009, 04:53

yeah, but then the price would have to be a lot higher because of how useful they are. This would probably be a good change, but then speed items would have to be reasonably priced so one person doesn't sell boots of speed+2 for ridiculous amounts of heal pots.

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Thu 03.12.2009, 12:23

The way it is implemented now is relevant to vanilla Angband and totally inappropriate to a multiplayer real time game. In Vanilla, you can simply go to 50ft, press R, choose "wait for 1000 turns" and come back to town: BM will have restocked, and you'll get your heals in no time. In MAngband, you have to wait forever for the restocking...
The only thing I can think of is:
1) Hack the client to automatically check for "potion of healing" when entering the BM and automatically buy them when there are some in the BM
2) Write a bot to enter BM every 30 secs or so, check the store inventory and leave
3) Leave your comp on the whole night and play the next day with a sufficient amount of heals
or:
play priest, paladin (healing spell) or mage (non-melee)

Hades
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Hades » Fri 04.12.2009, 01:14

I concur, with Later I often sat in town for about an hour or two just to get 4 heal pots. Yes, I dived down to 4k and below with only 4 heal pots. But I found it better then waiting in town for 4-5 hours at a time. This needs to be changed, And speed pots are less rare then heal pots I've noticed. The pricing is fine, I think it averages 1300AU for 1 potion, that is substantial to keep from low levels acquiring large amounts of heal pots. If you want to raise the price a 1000AU I wouldn't see a problem in that either.
PWMAngband Host - Check out http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9 and download the client, server, lib files, sound fx patch and even the source code for this new variant!

Emulord
King Vampire

Post by Emulord » Fri 04.12.2009, 01:45

Also, people go for low turncount in Angband, so restricting heals based on turncount makes sense, but in a realtime environment, it just pisses people off.

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Fri 04.12.2009, 12:10

You can often buy heals in player shops or? How about froming a party with a paladin. Maybe these healing pots are just rare so you ahve to take that into consideration... :)

Thorbear
Two-Headed Troll

Post by Thorbear » Fri 04.12.2009, 13:30

Ace wrote:You can often buy heals in player shops or? How about froming a party with a paladin. Maybe these healing pots are just rare so you ahve to take that into consideration... :)
As far as I know, player shops rarely sells heals, due to their usefullness.
(I've seen it happen tho, even at prices below 900, gold mine...)

But I agree that this is one of those things that is "supposed" to be like it is.

BUT, in many discussions you see "We want there to always be 99 Heals in BM for 1500 each!" vs "We want there to be 1 Heal for every 20 minutes for 3000 each!"
I think a small change would do much better... Say, if you up the appearance rate with 30% and up the price with 50-100%... There will be noticable more heals in the game, without flooding it.

Remember, heals aren't exacly CCW's.
Also remember that there are such things as "a Staff of Healing" and "a Rod of Healing".
Not to mention Ace's point, that priests/paladins can heal their teammates.

-In CCW we trust!
I am Thorbear...

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Fri 04.12.2009, 13:35

Bit offtopic but what happened with my chars? Anyone noticed the bound chars on the right side in the forum have the wrong levels? Is this for other people so as well?

Thorbear
Two-Headed Troll

Post by Thorbear » Fri 04.12.2009, 14:11

Ace wrote:Bit offtopic but what happened with my chars? Anyone noticed the bound chars on the right side in the forum have the wrong levels? Is this for other people so as well?
Yup, and it's known, I think "they" are working on it.
I am Thorbear...

Hades
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Hades » Fri 04.12.2009, 15:55

You guys are failing to understand this is a Real Time Multiplayer game. Sitting in front of a store for 3-4 hours at a time is not "part of the game" Its just foolishness. Some people have time to do this, other people do not have time to do this. You've mentioned heals aren't exactly CCW's, and your right, there not... Because it is hard to dive below 2k with CCW"s and it is impossible to dive below 3k without heals. (being conservative). Down deep into the dungeon Heals become basically like CCW's to a low level player. If I remember correctly they heal 500points of damage, and at level 50 you often have 900 and over. So in speaking, you can still **Easily** die down deep even with a stack of 99 Heals, You have to know what you are doing.

But without all that, sitting in front of a store for hours of a time takes away from the game, it isn't fun, and it just makes people annoyed and leave. I know sometimes I wake up have about 30mins to spare in the morning and wanted to play some quick MANg before "Opps, have to sit in front of 7 to get my 1 hourly heal pot." It's just stupid. I don't remember old MAng being like that at all.

If you are worried about "Flooding" the game with heals which does nothing to effect game play cause if you are new you will die anyway. I suggest we make a store, that trades items for heals. Lets say, you can only trade a certain weapon of such and such power for such and such heals. Low levels don't find a bunch of good excellent items and would rather sell them anyway or even keep them. Making a store so high levels can trade there "Long Sword of Aman" for like 6-7 heals or something. This seems reasonable. This way, the person gets the amount of Heals he needs to dive, and you don't flood the game with heals and piss off other people for "cheez", who have forgotten this is a game for fun, not roaming around town.
PWMAngband Host - Check out http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9 and download the client, server, lib files, sound fx patch and even the source code for this new variant!

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Fri 04.12.2009, 21:17

In case you lack pots of healing, you can use a staff of healing of course... if you are lucky to find one and hope it lasts for more than a few turns before it gets drained or destroyed by fire/acid. Rods of healing are totally useless in real time due to their insane charging time.

Myamoto
Pitiful-Looking Beggar

Post by Myamoto » Sat 05.12.2009, 17:38

Gold wise the game is balanced to the point where stats start getting maximized. Beyond this progression point no real and sustained gold sinks exists.
Could not *expensive* healpots fulfill the purpose of a gold sink?

Well, yes but:

- Don’t let (the expensive) healpots spawn at current depth! I don’t want the part of the game where you start increasing your stats to be too easy. They should spawn very rare till ~3k. Maybe overall rarity of healpots should increase.
- They should be expensive enough so that you don’t make profit if you are using them like CCWs at low depth. Something in between 12k and 24k sounds right.

Emulord
King Vampire

Post by Emulord » Sat 05.12.2009, 23:55

How about they regularly (every restock) show up in the black market for 10-25K a piece, but in all other cases their price, drops, and rarities are the same. Something like that would still create a gold sink, but a low level character could still have one as a full-heal if they are lucky enough to find one.

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Mon 07.12.2009, 08:43

Here's the deal:

Many of you here are aware of the developer site (http://www.mangband.org/developer) and probably also our roadmap for the development of the game. For your convenience I have pasted the contents of said document below.

To put it short, version 1.1 was to align ourselves with "recent angband". Many of mangband's previous custom changes were reverted, such as for example potions of healing readily available in the black market - and so on. The reason for this was to start from scratch and see how the game is balanced by default. For the next version we will focus on the player, improving the overall experience. For the version after that we will have learned enough of what works and what doesn't and have had enough time to think it over properly from all perspectives to be able to apply realtime multiplayer modifications to the game.

I would however like to thank you all for your input here, please keep it coming but rest assured that the project team has a strategy for the game and there are countless changes pending and ideas yet to be implemented. The curious users will be able to find a lot of information on the site mentioned above :)

-------------------

#
Milestone: Version 1.1.0

Completed 17 months ago (07/19/08)

100%

Closed tickets:
Active tickets:
/ Total tickets:

Summary

There are three main themes for the version 1.1.0 release. All of which contribute to ensuring we have a stable platform on which to build later versions.

1. Moving towards the features of Angband 3.0.6

2. Fixing all known bugs

3. Smoothing the new user experience.
Angband 3.0.6 Features

The principle areas of 3.0.6 we are focused on delivering are:

* Monsters (and their attacks)
* Magical Items (and their effects)
* Priest Spells
* Mage Spells
* Updated Game Mechanics lookup tables
* Magical Ability Effects (e.g. ESP)

There may be other Angband 3.0.6 features we can get easily too.
Fixing All Known Bugs

Pretty straightforward, we should not release with any outstanding significant bugs.
Smoothing the New User Experience

There are two aspects to this. Firstly there are in game changes, such as limiting the aggressiveness of the townies. Secondly there are outside of game changes, such as providing proper installers and clearer, consistent documentation.

--------------------

#
Milestone: Version 1.2.0

No date set

75%

Closed tickets:
Active tickets:
/ Total tickets:

Summary

Requires a new client

Does not require a server reset

Focus on the player.

A release focusing on improving the player experience.

This can be achieved in many ways, for example enhancing the client GUI, adding graphics, better chat system. Enhancements to network stability, meta server functionality could also be attributed to this milestone. Documentation is also an important part of this milestone.

Also addressing any game balance issues which enhance the experience for the player.

-------------------------

#
Milestone: Version 1.3.0

No date set

47%

Closed tickets:
Active tickets:
/ Total tickets:

Summary

Focus on game play.

By now we have learned something of what is working in-game and what is not. Players have had input on their likes and dislikes in the forums. Now is the time to tweak game balance.

Perhaps move our Angband compatibility target from v3.0.6 to v3.1.0 or later.
-- Mangband Project Team Member

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Mon 07.12.2009, 12:22

Speaking of Warrior... does he still have all those stacks of 99 heals in his house? Would be nice to start putting some for sale ;)