I just downloaded and I am a mac player

All your questions answered.
fastlime
Singing, Happy Drunk

I just downloaded and I am a mac player

Post by fastlime » Tue 21.01.2014, 00:20

I am trying to login with the mangclient but I have no clue what to do.
I also have no idea what I would do in the actual game. I have read some of the texts, but are there anythings that you could would specifically tell me to read? like any thing that you think would help me exponentially?
Any help that you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.

fastlime
Singing, Happy Drunk

Re: I just downloaded and I am a mac player

Post by fastlime » Tue 21.01.2014, 00:38

What is the username and password? it just uses my computer user name but IDK what to do.

fastlime
Singing, Happy Drunk

Post by fastlime » Tue 21.01.2014, 01:05

I am determined to learn this game so if you could just help me a little I would be very greatful

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Tue 21.01.2014, 08:47

Welcome, fastline!

I don't play on a mac so I'm not sure how that works, but I'll try to help you to the best of my knowledge.

The basic idea of the game is this:

You are the white @. Other players will be other @'s, different colors based on their classes. Most other letters will be monsters, some symbols will be terrain features, such as . being floor and * being trees. Basically - if it moves, it's a monster, kill it! The final monster is Morgoth, Lord of Darkness. He's a black P and you won't see him for a long time, it could take many months or years. But believe me when I say that there's enough other monsters to keep you busy until then, it just never stops :)

So yes, you begin a new game, start up the client (mangclient.exe) and connect to mangband.org. Enter the character name and password that you want to use and select race/class/stats.

You then start in the tavern of the town, building 8. You move with the arrow keys. If you have a numpad this is the best option. It's also possible to use roguelike keys. The keys to move are 'h'/'j'/'k'/'l'/'y'/'u'/'b'/'n' I believe.

I mentioned that "if it moves, kill it!". The most obvious way to kill a monster is to move next to it. Once a monster is within the reach of your sword, you'll automatically attack it. This is due to the realtime character of the game. There's also a few monsters that don't move, but they'll typically be a letter, like 'm' or 'j'. You can look around with "l" to check out whats around you. Also "L" to get a bigger view.

The blocks in town with numbers attached to them are stores. You can move onto them to enter the store. You can buy supplies for your adventure, helmets, scrolls, magic books and so on.

Some find the learning curve of the game a little steep, especially if you've never played a so called roguelike game before. But, since you seem determined to figure it out, I'm sure you'll do ok.

One final thing, it's possible to chat in the game by entering the ":" key. You can just ask players for help in the game also, as you run into stuff you don't understand. Most players will be happy to help, we're quite a friendly community.

Cheers,
Warrior
-- Mangband Project Team Member

fastlime
Singing, Happy Drunk

Post by fastlime » Wed 22.01.2014, 00:56

THANKS! I will continue to come back to this forum as well as ask people in game if I get confused.

I do have one question that I would prefer not to ask in game, Can I change the keys to move?
I have a laptop and it is hard to controll. I mean if it is complicated I can do without for the sole reason this game doesn't take much finger dexterity.

also where do I go to get out of the city and into a mine.

Thorbear
Two-Headed Troll

Post by Thorbear » Fri 24.01.2014, 00:07

Hello there, I compressed your posts a little, and for future reference, I think you should be able to edit your own posts, which is a better option than posting several posts in a row when nobody has replied yet =)

Changing your keys around could get complicated, aside from selecting either Roguelike keyset or normal keyset.
It might be possible through the use of macros, to rebind the normal action of keys, otherwise you could edit the macro files directly, but that may be something you only want to do if you're a somewhat advanced user.
(For reference, macro files are saved to /lib/user/ in the mangband game folder, the default file for mac should be pref-mac.prf )
I am Thorbear...