running server in RH9?

All your questions answered.
Foronwe
Mangy-Looking Leper

running server in RH9?

Post by Foronwe » Thu 21.08.2003, 21:41

I downloaded and compiled the 0.7.2a server in RH9.  Able to connect to the server locally and get it to show up in the metaserver list, but can't connect remotely.  Any ideas?

Foronwe
Mangy-Looking Leper

Re: running server in RH9?

Post by Foronwe » Fri 22.08.2003, 11:24

Nervermind, just found out that my ISP won't permit me to run a server.  Ah well.

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Re: running server in RH9?

Post by Berendol » Mon 25.08.2003, 22:58

I have the exact opposite problem with Debian 3.0 + unstable.

MAngband uses high ports somewhere around 18350, so it's probably not filtered by your ISP - you might be able to run it under the radar. Not that I condone such activities... except that I did it for dserv, ehh...

I am running RH9 on my machine. The more likely problem is that you have at least part of the firewall enabled (check the manual for configuration) or iptables/xinetd is running (check your xinetd, inetd, and iptables configuration) and the connections aren't getting through to your computer from the outside. Check mangschool for the port number, and punch a hole in your firewall to let it through.

By the way, if you're on a fast connection and have Red Hat 9 and you want it to be more user friendly, check out Ximian Desktop. Don't ask me how to uninstall it though... wish I could.
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)