Is it possible getting the current server-code?

All your MAngband related technical questions answered. Problems compiling or running the game/server? No problem! Ask here.
serina
Crystal Ooze

Is it possible getting the current server-code?

Post by serina » Wed 27.02.2008, 04:24

I'm going away on Easter, and might get boring. So I was wondering if it's possible to get a version of the server that is played today (Mangband.org). It seems that the source that's in the downloads-page is 0.7.2 instead of 1.0.0 like Mangband-org is running ATM. I was just wondering, cause I want the practice with the new server rather than the old one. Naturally if it's being upgraded soon, I'd like that version to practice on :)

ZAL

Billsey
King Vampire

Post by Billsey » Wed 27.02.2008, 07:24

The target for release of the 1.0.0 beta is Feb 29th, with a complete restart of the server on Mar 1st. At this time it's still looking possible, though there will certainly be bugs to catch in this version. The source code will be available at the same time as the new executables, though everything will stay fairly fluid throughout the beta period.

Now, if we can come up with a couple show stopper bugs between now and Friday, we'll push off that release date, but we've got three weeks between the scheduled release and Easter so you've got a good chance of getting the beta code to play with. 8)

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Wed 27.02.2008, 08:13

by restart of the server you mean all characters are reset too?

(I dont mind just so I know because then i stop to play my high elf paladin now :))

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Wed 27.02.2008, 19:05

Yeah all characters will be gone since the new savefiles won't be compatible... so enjoy your char while you can :)

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Thu 28.02.2008, 00:52

:)

serina
Crystal Ooze

Post by serina » Thu 28.02.2008, 01:19

Gonna dive like a crazy monkey... Down to kill Morgoth :)

ZAL

Gorth
Black Yeek

Suggestion

Post by Gorth » Thu 28.02.2008, 02:01

Hello, just a suggestion. I think that it might make sense to post the fact that there is an expected server reset on the main page. I had not delved that much into the forums and just now noticed that there is a planned reset on March 1. Just an idea.
Gorth

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Thu 28.02.2008, 10:31

well actually this should be shown on the login page when connecting to the server....

but it says there "testmode" so i guess this is to be expected :)

serina
Crystal Ooze

Post by serina » Thu 28.02.2008, 16:22

Is this affecting Mangband.org server, or just Seymourfamily server?

ZAL

Billsey
King Vampire

Post by Billsey » Fri 29.02.2008, 06:07

I don't have appropriate permissions to post in the News forum, but here's where we sit as of this afternoon... [Late breaking news: It appears as if I *do* have access!]

We're going to push off the release by about two weeks. That gives us a chance to finish up with the rest of the new Mage spells and to get in a week or so of play testing before we release to the public (that's you! :-)

The new schedule calls for a release of the sources and pre-compiled executables in Friday March 14th, with the restart of the flagship server on Monday March 17. I will very likely restart the game on my server at seymourfamily.org at about the same time. In both cases it's a full restart of the game, everyone starts over at square one, with all artifacts up for grabs (So, who'll get the Phial?). You will need the new client to play on a new server. I expect that most servers will be over to the new code within a reasonable amount of time. The new client works with the old server, but the old server has bugs that *will* cause a crash when the new client does some perfectly normal things. This means that in all likelihood you will not want to use the new client with an old server, and you can't use the old client with a new server, so you might have a bit of time where you have to keep two clients.

Expect a bit of a rocky start, there are a *lot* of changes under the hood and it's very likely that some of those will be, shall we say, less then desirable. You will likely have to change several of your macros, since spells have moved around a bit. You will be encouraged to make bug reports in the forums, and we'll then create Trac tickets on those bug reports. We plan on having the bulk of those bugs disposed of by the release of the stable 1.0.0 sometime later in the year (can't set a schedule on that until we have the tickets to track).

Once 1.0.0 is released we'll start work on 1.1.0, which will be mainly more bug fixes, more code cleanup and inclusion or reintroduction of MAngband specific things that got pulled from 1.0.0 in order to sync up as closely as possible with the Angband code base.

Once 1.1.0 is release we start work on 1.2.0, which is a fairly major revamp of the client. The 1.2.0 client should be a lot more flexible for variant makers, so we should no longer need to have custom clients for different variants. We'll see how well that pans out. :-)