Display problems on Windows

All your MAngband related technical questions answered. Problems compiling or running the game/server? No problem! Ask here.
Flambard
King Vampire

Display problems on Windows

Post by Flambard » Fri 30.05.2008, 14:54

Q. I just downloaded your new client, but when I fire it up I can only see blank window(s) with no text.

A. This is probably caused by the (in)famous font-lock bug. Rebooting your machine usually helps.

Q. My character leaves trails of @ behind him, the walls are # instead of solid blocks, and the tiles in general seem off.

A. Try checking if Graphics mode is enabled for some reason. If it is, disabling it should fix the problem.

Q. The text that shows depth is misplaced, and the status text (confused..paralyzed..etc) is missing.

A. Oddly, you have your game window 'undersized'. Grab it's corners and resize it to it's maximum!

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Re: Display problems on Windows

Post by Warrior » Sat 24.07.2010, 16:59

In Windows 7, you may run into a problem with the main window not displaying. When this happened in XP you could usually just right click the MAngband icon in the taskbar and hit maximize in order to get it back, but in Windows 7 the maximize option is not available in the taskbar (at least wasn't in my particular case).

In order to resolve this you must select the MAngband icon in the taskbar and hold down the Windows button while you press the up arrow.
This should bring back the window. Note that you may need to reposition the main window now in order to avoid having the same happen again.

Thanks to Thor for this tip :)
-- Mangband Project Team Member

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Mon 26.07.2010, 12:35

Sometimes this happens to me even with XP...
Usually, it's because your mangband.ini file contains an incorrect value for the main window's xpos. Just edit mangband.ini and replace in [Term-0] PositionX=-1 by PositionX=0.

Thorbear
Two-Headed Troll

Post by Thorbear » Mon 26.07.2010, 20:22

Zaxx wrote:Sometimes this happens to me even with XP...
Usually, it's because your mangband.ini file contains an incorrect value for the main window's xpos. Just edit mangband.ini and replace in [Term-0] PositionX=-1 by PositionX=0.
Doing what warrior just said doesn't require you to restart your client ;-) Simply maximize (window will be the same size anyhow) and grab the titlebar of the window with the mouse, wiggle it a little, and you're all set.
I am Thorbear...

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Sat 29.11.2014, 14:45

The wiggle thing works not pre win7 i think? Or was this active on older versions as well?

Billsey
King Vampire

Post by Billsey » Fri 05.12.2014, 02:25

Yes, the wiggle thing is Windows 7 and later only. It's a feature of Windows itself, when you double click on a title bar it maximizes the window. When you try to move the title bar on a maximized window it converts to a normal window again.
Mangband Project Team Member