Logging in With Macintosh version of Mang*

All your MAngband related technical questions answered. Problems compiling or running the game/server? No problem! Ask here.
Inquisitiveone
Pitiful-Looking Beggar

Logging in With Macintosh version of Mang*

Post by Inquisitiveone » Sun 11.01.2009, 00:28

Hello, this is my first post on this forum. I'm having trouble logging into the game. I've downloaded the Intel version of the Macintosh file, not knowing if my computer is an Intel PC or a PPC. After my computer unpackaged the '.dmg' file, I can open a file called "Mangband". In that file exists 3 more files. The 'lib' directory, the 'LICENSE' file, and the 'mangclient' file. I assumed that it was activating the 'mangclient' file that would open the client list. But this was what popped up on my terminal:

Last login: Sat Jan 10 17:03:32 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
Jonathon-Nooners-Computer:~ xmage$ /Volumes/mangclient_1-1-1/mangband/mangclient; exit
-bash: /Volumes/mangclient_1-1-1/mangband/mangclient: cannot execute binary file
logout
[Process completed]

I assume this means that since the program refuses to execute, so I'll need to try to PPC version.
Since it was mentioned that the Mac* version of Mangband was experimental, and that feedback was needed... I thought I'd provide some.

One last question before I make my exuent: Has anyone with a Macintosh managed to make Mangband work?

Inquisitiveone
Pitiful-Looking Beggar

Re: Logging in With Macintosh version of Mang*

Post by Inquisitiveone » Sun 11.01.2009, 00:47

Using the PPC version, I've successfully managed to log on to the server. I expect to run into some lag on the server. I logged on to the main server. Then I was prompted to come up with a name and a password. I did this, then went on to the character creation. I tried to press '=' to modify my birth options, but I suppose that's not available. But there is a prompt that says press '?' for questions. I tried that, and that didn't work.

If my narrative is unnecessary, tell me and I'll stop.

Flambard
King Vampire

Re: Logging in With Macintosh version of Mang*

Post by Flambard » Sun 11.01.2009, 00:51

Hello :) Birth options and birth help are not availible in current version of MAngband, you should try generating your character straight away.

Your narration is pretty interesting, as mac binaries are largely untested.