Uniques Dropping Loot

All your MAngband related technical questions answered. Problems compiling or running the game/server? No problem! Ask here.
TheHairyOne
Vorpal Bunny

Uniques Dropping Loot

Post by TheHairyOne » Sun 01.05.2016, 16:28

I want to quick fix the named mob problem by changing it so UNIQUEs always drop loot when you kill them regardless if you have killed them before. Anyone know what part of the code contains this stuff?

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Re: Uniques Dropping Loot

Post by PowerWyrm » Sun 01.05.2016, 18:50

Look for the term "cheeze" ;)

TheHairyOne
Vorpal Bunny

Post by TheHairyOne » Sun 01.05.2016, 23:33

Thanks! Quick fix is in. For the long term, I just need to fix the respawn timers so they are properly long. I think the tracking of unique kills for summoning is still a useful feature.

At least now my wife will play with me. hehe.

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Mon 02.05.2016, 11:24

The purpose of the check was to prevent players from partying and repeatedly generating Wormtongue early on with a character and killing him with another one to stockpile on easy egos and artifacts. If you remove the check, be sure the players on the server don't abuse that.

TheHairyOne
Vorpal Bunny

Post by TheHairyOne » Mon 02.05.2016, 12:56

The old 0.7.0 implementation involved a simple check if a Named was alive. If anyone killed it, it would stay dead for a period of time...usually 12hrs-5days. Once I restore the code to put UNIQUES on a respawn timer, the ability to cheeze this will be very limited.

The problem we ran into that forced the situation (besides my wife liking to hunt named mobs) involved me, my brother, and my son playing together. We killed a nasty named four times in one dungeon run with NO loot. The problem was that I had killed it already but neither of them had...and because in the heat of combat I kept getting the killing blows....no loot. An alternative fix would be to flag EVERYONE in a group who are on the level for kills on UNIQUEs.

I definately am tracking the logs and I can review situations. But right now the server is just for fun and testing purposes. I could care less if anyone cheezes on it. If the abuse is too heavy, I'll just wipe it when I finish my coding changes.

EDIT: If anyone wants to point me to the spawn timer controls for the UNIQUEs...I would love to get this fixed sooner rather than later.