Best practices and optimistic theories.
PowerWyrm
Balrog

Optimizing worn equipment

Post by PowerWyrm » Wed 25.02.2009, 12:59

Here's some gear from a dwarf paladin:
[Character Equipment]

a) The Battle Axe of Balli Stonehand (3d8) (+9,+11) [+5] (+3) {1135 HP ;)}
b) a Short Bow of Lothlorien (x3) (+15,+16) (+2)
c) a Ring of Damage (+16)
d) a Ring of Speed (+16)
e) an Amulet of Trickery (+4)
f) The Star of Elendil
g) Power Dragon Scale Mail (-3) [40,+24] {@A1}
h) a Kolla [3,+9] (+2)
i) an Orcish Shield of Preservation [5,+25] (+2)
j) an Iron Crown of Lordliness [0,+19] (+3)
k) a Set of Gauntlets of the Istari (+4,+5) [2,+9] (+3)
l) a Pair of Hard Leather Boots of Speed [3,+7] (+10)

[Character Inventory]
l) The Ring of Power 'Narya' (+6,+6) (+1)
Blows/Round: 5
+ To Damage: 52

This gear could be easily improved, making this char much more powerful (especially with a PDSM, since resists won't be an issue anymore).
First remove the +dam ring and put Narya instead: +1 to all stats and speed, FA, SI, regen, 4 sustains... and immunity to fire! The 10 points of damage lost in the process will be easily regained with different items in other slots.
Then slots a), e) and j) must be replaced. I suppose the crown of lordliness here has ESP... so the problem is to get ESP from another source. Since this char has a PDSM, I propose to replace the amulet of trickery by an amulet of ESP. This makes the char lose 4 speed (and 4 DEX), but +27 base is still sufficient for any fight except the fight against morgy.
The weapon used (Balli Stonehand) is utter crap: low damage, no real useful brands, resists and abilities already provided by other items. The only interest in this weapon is the +3 to STR and CON... so the solution is to put in slot j) a crown of might +3. This will also counter the DEX loss from removing the amulet of trickery.
So what to use as a weapon? The easiest replacement would be a good Holy Avenger: high damage, slay evil (great if the weapon damage dice is high)... and even +WIS to counter the WIS loss from the lordliness crown! If you can live with 18/170 WIS as a paladin, use a weapon of Extra Attacks (Fury would give extra damage, but the aggravation kinda suxx). Any good artifact with high damage, useful brands and stat/speed boosts would be good too...

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Re: Optimizing worn equipment

Post by Ace » Wed 25.02.2009, 16:39

nice thread however it would be better if this optimization is done for ppl who still have a living character ^^ Maybe some ppl want to post their chars in here and then they can get a item-wishlist :)

Obviously this would be also THE trading place to announce the nice fitting item that you have in your playershop just today..... :)

Michailski
Giant Spotted Rat

Post by Michailski » Wed 25.02.2009, 18:39

Tny for the suggestion. I know that there are better Weapons but at the moment i feel fine with it. =)
I use this Weapon since a long time and I kill nearly all i meet without the need of Healings. But i will take a closer Look at your Setup. (later)

@ Ace. I don`t know why the Char isnt in the Listing of Hi Level alive but this is a long Time too. To bad, only 800k more experience and i had my old max of 15,9 Mio XP.
But like allready said "I feel fine" and i got allready 2 of the lost 7 Mio XP back.

Seems the RNG wanted and got me. The dive before i had to finish because i recalled to close to a pack of Timehounds and the Door was in my direction.
This dive i recalled to the bottom of the Pit and instead pressing *dest* i tryed to go away from the door. Then i was a 2 and pressed *dest* but it seems my move was gone.^^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8uAvMey ... r_embedded Three little pigs
My english isnt bad. I am ahead of time. I use the spelling reform of the english language starting 2010.

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Thu 26.02.2009, 12:40

Your character "Jordan" isn't listed as alive because the list isn't case sensitive. Since you have a char named "JordaN", only that char can be listed... until you die with that character.

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by schroeder » Fri 27.02.2009, 01:53

If it wasn't for the fact that i've decided that I'm not gonna keep emulord forever, then I would really LOVE to advertise sales here. Like, Hay everyone, just found another Kolla of the Magi. Anyone need it? You do? Ok. {for sale}.
Or rather...You do? What arts do you have? Hmm...It will cost you one elfstone. No? Ok. I'll throw In a free power dsm! Deal? Good. :)
Anything worth being done, is worth being overdone.
My Mangband videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/Schroederband

Michailski
Giant Spotted Rat

Post by Michailski » Fri 27.02.2009, 13:47

schroeder wrote:If it wasn't for the fact that i've decided that I'm not gonna keep emulord forever, then I would really LOVE to advertise sales here. Like, Hay everyone, just found another Kolla of the Magi. Anyone need it? You do? Ok. {for sale}.
Or rather...You do? What arts do you have? Hmm...It will cost you one elfstone. No? Ok. I'll throw In a free power dsm! Deal? Good. :)
Shouldn`t you open a "For Sale" Thread then, instead take over this one ? ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8uAvMey ... r_embedded Three little pigs
My english isnt bad. I am ahead of time. I use the spelling reform of the english language starting 2010.