Randarts

Discussions about the proposed new items in MAngband.
Avenger
Skeleton 2-Headed Troll

Randarts

Post by Avenger » Wed 20.11.2013, 15:00

The artifact replacement solution fully endorsed by Avenger.

Warrior directed me here from a reply on a thread about randart generation, and on a brief scan of the first page, I didn't see any randart threads, so here we go.

Now, I'm also in favor of new and improved ego items, but, while they're great for rounding out resistances, abilities, and stat boosts in a kit, they don't generate anywhere near the endgame power of artifacts like Bladeturner, Feanor, Cubragol, Ringil, etc. In a game like MAngband, it's just a reality that those items will almost never be available to the average player - and even the players that do secure one or even two of them won't be able to collect the full set, because pieces of it are already on other characters.

Compare that to Vanilla, where they not only have access to all the uberarts, they also have access to the randart generator AND they get to play turn based.

Now, for those of you that are particularly good at this game(looking at Domiano and his multiple challenge KING posts, specifically, but I know there are many other players that are much better then I am), that may not seem necessary. But to someone like me, who struggles with even turn based variants, and who's never even attempted Morgoth(or hell, Sauron) in MAng - I can use all the help I can get. If it really bothers anyone, perhaps we could introduce a new server that has randarts, while leaving the old style for those who prefer that - this should prevent anyone from feeling that their KING achievements are being devalued by an easier game.

And to be honest, voluntary challenges, like Domiano's, will remain an option for those of you that want to play that way. And perhaps we could even implement a system like DoomRL has to actually recognize and enforce challenge game types, and grant specific achievements for them. We already have Brave mode and an Ironman server - certainly these could be expanded on in the future. Granted, they'd take some serious development time - but you know what wouldn't? Implementing the randart code in at least one server. Or rather, activating it, since it's already in the source.

epoxy
Blubbering Idiot

Re: Randarts

Post by epoxy » Wed 20.11.2013, 20:27

I support randarts! :) If done right, they could be good. I had a custom implementation about 10 years ago I thought might be balanced.
If there is worry about randarts accumulating on the server, perhaps place a restriction on 2 per house or something(*). I also like the idea of occasionally naming randarts after players in the high score list. (Or living players!)
(*) I just made this up, don't take it too seriously.

Avenger
Skeleton 2-Headed Troll

Re: Randarts

Post by Avenger » Thu 21.11.2013, 00:37

We could also simply treat randarts like current arts and disallow housing. Not quite so necessary, since hoarding them won't impact the game the same way as the limited arts we have now, but if it will help alleviate concerns of randarts accumulating, I'm ok with it.