Rule enforcement

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
Warrior
Evil Iggy

Rule enforcement

Post by Warrior » Sun 14.12.2008, 13:54

Some players have begun to share large numbers of items between their own characters (worth millions).
This is against the spirit of the rules and several characters have been deleted as a result.
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Ardor
Giant Gnat

Post by Ardor » Sat 15.08.2009, 18:13

Can you share items between fiends?

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Re: Rule enforcement

Post by Ace » Mon 17.08.2009, 14:22

You should sell stuff between different characters / friends. You should always use shop selling prices when doing so. Or trade like 1:1 for comparable items. For Speed rings other deals are allowed I think since the pricing is ridiculous.

If your char died and has no gold left you are allowed to give him some gold per level he obtained - You can find the exact formular within the forum.

Personally I advise to use common sense - do not exploit the game or be reasonable and everything will be fine. If you give your level 10 character a spd ring esp and a multi hued dragon scale armor for a few lousy gold coins or one high end mage book you would be clearly against rules.

Hope that helped :)

Ardor
Giant Gnat

Post by Ardor » Wed 19.08.2009, 00:49

I get it. I have been encouraging my friends to start playing, and wanted to help them get started. I should probably just start a new character when they start and dive with them.

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Wed 11.11.2009, 08:59

Two characters deleted for breaking rule #3.

Hades
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Hades » Wed 11.11.2009, 13:55

Hey,
I am notifying you that after my character's savefile got deleted I was still the owner my of houses (And some pretty nice gear also heh.) I took the liberty of selling my houses with my level 1 character and then Q'ing. Not sure if this is some sort of bug or what not. But it should be looked into. We wouldn't want people getting deleted then having a level 1 with tons of great gear would we? =). Anywho, I support what you did =). Hope to see you all on MAngband soon!

(Edit) Also, my artifacts are still marked as found. They were the following.

The Glaive of Pain
The Phial of Galadriel
The Heavy Cross Bow Umber
The Ring Barahir
PWMAngband Host - Check out http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9 and download the client, server, lib files, sound fx patch and even the source code for this new variant!

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Wed 11.11.2009, 20:04

Hi Later, sorry about the deletion but both of you have been playing for ages and should have been aware of this rule. It can be a a bit unfair to all those who aren't able to do this (why do they have to work hard for their levels etc) and also against the spirit of the game and so on, I know you understand so not really gonna say much more about it. However as you've noticed we just deleted (actually moved) the savefiles instead of suiciding them as would be the right move to keep everything nice and healthy. I will look into this tonight and see if I can clean up the files and give you some proper dishonorable deaths :)

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Thu 12.11.2009, 12:21

Warrior... you should NEVER delete savefiles. Deleting savefiles break many game mechanisms, in particular:
- artifacts owned won't be reset: they can only be reset when a player dies
- houses owned won't be reset (same problem as artifacts)
- player ID counter will be broken: there will be a "hole", leading all players with an ID greater than the hole to have their character rerolled when they connect (this is very annoying... and for newbies they would think that their character is "dead" even though it's not true)
- player database will be broken: a player won't be able to use the deleted charname again
- and probably many more undesired side effects

Does MAngband have a "wrath" command (similar to the "ban" command)? This is the easiest way to handle the problem: the command act as if the character pressed the Q button and didn't have the choice but suicide. It is clean, player is properly deleted and all possessions reset. If it doesn't exist, I could give you the source code for that command (I have it coded for my variant). Of course, that command can be only applied when both the admin and the player are connected.

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Thu 12.11.2009, 17:04

Hi PW, yes, like I said we are aware that deleting the files is not the proper way to go about this and we are currently looking into what would be the best solution. We obviously have the old files and may try to put them back in, Q the guys and put in their new characters, but we'll take our time to find the right option.

The Wrath command was discussed but never fully implemented, as far as I know. I'm not sure if someone actually wrote it and it's just lying in their pocketses or something, if not I'd think we could definitely use it.

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Fri 13.11.2009, 12:16

Like I said I could give the source code for the command... I've already it written.

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Fri 20.11.2009, 07:21

The characters have now been properly executed and the artifacts reset as they should.