The Challenge [Quest]

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
Warrior
Evil Iggy

The Challenge [Quest]

Post by Warrior » Fri 06.02.2009, 19:44

You sit in the tavern after a long day of hard battle. So much work for so little gold...

You've taken off your heavy armor and the sword is laying on the table beside the pints of ale you've ordered.

You grin widely as you take your first bite of the tavernkeepers freshly made (...) Beef Jerky and can't help thinking this is the best Jerky in the world, ever!

A huge warrior stumbles into the tavern, bleeding from countless deep wounds, you look suspiciously at your beef jerky for a moment then forget about it quickly as the warrior shouts out...

"GOLD..! so much GOOOOOOLD!"

He falls to the floor, dead.

A crowd quickly gathers around him, everyone shouting "Where'd he come from, did anyone see where he came from?!"

Someone says they saw him coming from the north of town, someone else says they saw him coming into town from the west. A little boy swears he saw him southeast of town.

Millions of gold, powerful magical potions and scrolls... magical dragon armor of the finest kind, you reach for your sword and your armor but stop for a moment to look at the massive warrior lying dead on the floor, examining his wounds... thats not the work of a pack of jackals for sure.

Maybe you should think twice.

You notice the warriors cloak is full of small branches and he smells a little... swampy.
-- Mangband Project Team Member

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Re: The Challenge [Quest]

Post by schroeder » Fri 06.02.2009, 19:55

wow...this sounds like quite the intense quest...quite dangerous too....and also quite tough to find. Not sure if this quest will ever be completed.. If i was still in the mid 40s...i would totally go for it. A reccomendation for anyone who decides to take the quest; take a staff of banishment with you. Also, being a priest will *help* you with the clarvoyance spell...Hmm....I could probably do this as emulord....No. I'm taking a break from the game for a bit. If the treasures are still there when i get back, then i will look for them. Otherwise, people, make sure you announce your finds!
Anything worth being done, is worth being overdone.
My Mangband videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/Schroederband

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Fri 06.02.2009, 20:42

It'll probably be a long term ongoing, possibly and quite likely never completed quest that will, if anyone find the spot result in near instant death. Measures have been made to try to protect the player if he should enter the level by mistake so entering this wilderness level should not be lethal, but proceeding might be.
It gets progressively harder with more than a thousand monsters spread out over one wilderness level, separated by a mix of titanium walls and regular granite walls.

Rumour has it it's safest to enter from the southeastern corner...

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by schroeder » Fri 06.02.2009, 22:27

hmmm.... This sounds like an epic quest for the ages... My plan, have a ghost find the location. This will take a lot of ghosts, and i will need to map out which places i've explored. Then, once i have a character that would love this stuff, I buy a staff of destruction and banishment, and pray that i don't die. Hmm...Thousands of monsters... Sounds like banishing there would kill you...and i bet their are uniques there too...Wow...so much goooooold indeed...More reward means MUCH more risk...

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Sat 07.02.2009, 00:52

There is a clear level progression as you follow the footsteps of the dead warrior deeper into the quest and in the final stage you will face some of the strongest enemies ever seen. Most well known strategies will not yield much success in this quest.

Disclaimer: This quest might be impossible, it's the first real custom quest we've done and hopefully it'll be a fun experience for someone but don't say I didn't warn you. But like I said earlier, simply entering the level should not be lethal. It should be possible to get a quick look around without dying.

... Hopefully.

Ashi
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Ashi » Sat 07.02.2009, 01:52

Wow, nice! This has to be one of the best side projects started by the dev team so far! I LOVE beef jerky.

Oh yeah, and the quest looks cool, too. :P

Prosper
Human Zombie

Post by Prosper » Sat 07.02.2009, 03:29

I might take a look.. ive been off Mangband for a while now maybe that could be fun.

Kom
Giant Long-Eared Bat

Post by Kom » Sat 07.02.2009, 20:14

This reminded me of me dying, only with completely opposite directions.

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Sun 08.02.2009, 02:37

Is this quest dsomething only one player can do (and then its gone) or is it a quest that can be played by several players?

serina
Crystal Ooze

Post by serina » Sun 08.02.2009, 10:21

Sounds fun indeed. I decided to go look for the trail of blood today, but after running around like a mad-man on a deserted island, I decided that the wilderness is way too huge for me to even consider trying to find this quest.

Good luck hunting those who fancy it :)

ZAL

grisu
Giant Long-Eared Bat

Post by grisu » Sun 08.02.2009, 13:59

Same to me, i invested over 1 hour running around in the wilderness to find the quest and got bored.
Quests should have riddles to find them, some calculating hints to find the depth.
However, since I am laggy and just jump several spots while running, I guess I wouldnt have any chance anyway.
I still like these quests and thank everyone who make them :)

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by schroeder » Sun 08.02.2009, 21:56

well my strategy is gonna be
start a half troll warrior.
Get half troll warrior to lvl 10.
Kill half troll warrior.
Go to the right edge of the world, while staying neer the edges of the map.
Map out where i have been.
Die.
Repeat, but going to different locations.

Should work eventually. [Warrior-edit] Spoiler info removed(for anyone else who may have access to that information but just didnt notice).

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Mon 09.02.2009, 09:08

I can say this much, you can *begin* the quest maybe as low as level 1 but there is (probably) no way you can finish it (kill all the monsters and get all the rewards) if you are less than level 50.

About the direction and location, (I have given some hints earlier), it is very far from town and it probably seems like a pretty boring area, something people would just avoid. There is no way to miss it if you enter it and if you enter any of the levels north, south, east or west of it, the border to the quest level will be clearly marked.

You can see town on your map from there.

The quest area is split into several sub-quest areas, though not all have any rewards (besides experience from the monsters guarding the next "level").

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Mon 09.02.2009, 15:34

Sorry maybe i missed it but it is only for a single person to clear or? So those monsters (and rewards) are not respawning right?

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Mon 09.02.2009, 18:17

It's a handmade quest so it's basically a one-time thing, however, it's perfectly possible to do only parts of the quests, it is divided into many smaller sections with rewards sort of hinting at the difficulty, there's a clear pattern :)

I'd say a level 10 can do the first part, a level 20 can do the second part, a level 30 can do the third part, a level 40 can probably do the fourth and fifth, and... so on.

The rewards are quite handsome for the first 3-4 "levels" compared to their difficulty so it'd be a good idea to try to be the first in, even if you can't finish the entire quest.

If someone should be able to capture their discovery or attempt of the quest on camera/video there will be an additional reward for this.