Team Deathmatch Server

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Re: Team Deathmatch Server

Post by schroeder » Mon 29.06.2009, 21:23

imo, wouldn't be that tough to rebalance things. Give certain classes more magic, give some new spells...and part of the magic of this idea, is that some people reeally like early game. And the quirkyness of it makes it better.

A lvl 50 option would be nice, and also easier, but i think it would attract less people.
Anything worth being done, is worth being overdone.
My Mangband videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/Schroederband

Emulord
King Vampire

Post by Emulord » Tue 30.06.2009, 00:23

Maybe we could have various level deathmatches if this becomes a regular thing.
Also, I LOOOVE earlygame, so Im really looking forward to this.

Flambard
King Vampire

Post by Flambard » Tue 30.06.2009, 16:36

I think game such as this warrants some objective, maybe TeamFortress (CTF with classes) instead of TDM?

Some thought shall be put toward what happens when no-one is online. Does the game play like regular MAngband or nothing happens between matches? Or is it a one never-ending match?

Ashi
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Ashi » Tue 30.06.2009, 20:12

yeah, as soon as I saw "Scout" as a proposed class, I immediately thought of a MAngband Team Fortress.

I wonder if it's possible to restrict usage of certain items to one class only. Then it could truly be a Team Fortress clone :o

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Tue 30.06.2009, 20:46

Just think priests and non-blunt weapons...
Wouldn't have to "restrict" as such, just put huge penalties on certain objects for certain classes.
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Emulord
King Vampire

Post by Emulord » Wed 15.07.2009, 01:41

*bump*
I'm really looking forward to this and I'm wondering when this'll happen. Any estimates?

CloneDeath
Orc Zombie

Post by CloneDeath » Fri 17.07.2009, 13:13

I imagine that if they made everyone level 50, that would cause a huge rewrite to make things ballanced. Ballancing issues would be a nightmare. I could go into the theoretics on this, but I will spare you the 20 page essay.

As for keeping the levels low, maxing it at 5 or 10, it would actually cause a lot of removal of content and code, thus simplifying the code a bit.

Actually, whether you do level 50 or level 5, you still only need to change the p_races.txt and p_classes.txt, it will still require the same ammount of coding for the DM reguardless of max level.

Do you even know how the system works? o.O

Also, with my MangEdit, it should hopefully make editing classes much easier.

As for different modes, maybe in birth.c, I would imagine you have a player select a team (RED or BLU, which would also dictact the color of your @, lol), so you could also have them select a mode. Team Deathmatch would be on 50-500ft, CTF would be on 550-1000ft, King of the Hill would be on 1050-1500ft, etc.... I also imagine that you were thinking of removing all monsters. I think it would be best to include "NPC players", who are on a "third" team (PUR for purple?) and just make a few monsters like "Human Warior", "Kobald Rogue" etc etc etc, as apposed to the current "Novice Priest", "Priest", etc.. That way, when no one is on, it can still feel kinda TDM-ish.. make sure monsters also look like @, but are all purple or gray or green or something, something to show that the third team are all monsters XD.

Make Half-Troll Warior NPC the strongest ;)

Emulord
King Vampire

Post by Emulord » Sat 18.07.2009, 00:53

It could be male v female!!

Red / blue makes more sense tho. Especially if they implemented the colored boxes around players. That would be cool to tell who is on whose team.
http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1616
And
http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1499
contain great ideas for improving partying and I think are necessary for this kind of endeavor.

This server would need to rework some of the monster generation so that the hardest monsters are in between the two towns. Item drops would be entirely dependent on the monster level (not dungeon level), or dungeon level is a function so in between the towns give the best loot. With low level partying like this, (good) items are really valuable.

I like independent monsters in the area between the two towns. Makes it so one team can't blitz the other one as easily before both teams level a few players. Maybe the # dungeon levels in between should be greater.

Also, Team Deathmatch means #s of kills right? First team to x kills wins? Or is it just an ongoing PvP server with a levelcap, because that would be more lame since there isnt really a win condition.

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by schroeder » Sat 18.07.2009, 04:37

I think that the main problem with this, is non-constant play, and actually getting it dev'd, since I don't hear any updates about status or progress or anything... But if that happened, I could probably do some work on it...seing as how I figured out a chunk of the mang code even though i didn't know C++ a week before I did that...
But for the lack of players, you can just plan some in advance, or ask players online to come & play, or it can even just be one on one. Oh, or you could develop your player while nobody else was on if you wanted to ;)
Anything worth being done, is worth being overdone.
My Mangband videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/Schroederband