Angband vs. Mangband

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
timtek
Giant House Fly

Angband vs. Mangband

Post by timtek » Sun 02.08.2009, 08:47

I've never played angband, so i was wondering what the major differences are and which game you prefer. Is angband worth the time to play if I'm already playing mangband?

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Re: Angband vs. Mangband

Post by Warrior » Sun 02.08.2009, 19:11

Hi,

That depends, Angband is turn based and MAngband is real time, that's obviously the biggest difference.

Angband provides the player with a different experience in the same complex universe and you get more time to stop and look at all the nice shiny things. In MAngband you kill a monster, it drops a gold ring, you stop to pick it up and BANG, BOOM, SMACK! You're being assaulted by a pack of uruks!

Which, depending on your personality is either HORRIBLE or AWESOME!

I'm simplifying it but not too much actually. I loved playing Angband back in the day but personally I don't think Angband could give me the adrenaline rushes that MAngband provides sometimes. Being in real-time, you must pay more attention, you "live" your character more.
But it can also be very unforgiving sometimes.

MAngband is multiplayer and Angband is single player. Maybe you prefer the dark loneliness of the dungeon, I often find that very comforting compared to a crowded server with TONS of players. So that's one element also. But MAngband has a very, very friendly community in my opinion and it's obviously a big plus :)

In Angband I enjoyed the most the evolution of the player itself, it was a very egocentric, materialistic sort of focus, finding shiny things was pretty much the only target, while in MAngband I think the real, underlying core of the game, the strategy and the balance can be felt much more clearly. But, that could be because I've matured a lot as a player since I played Angband.

Thats my first thoughts anyway. Maybe it's different for someone who is new to both games.
-- Mangband Project Team Member

serina
Crystal Ooze

Re: Angband vs. Mangband

Post by serina » Wed 05.08.2009, 22:57

I started on Angband (Well rogue and Moria before that). It was a great way to learn how to play the game and learn the basics and can be quite fun, but there aren't any rescues when you die, and when something you don't know anything about happens to your character, there's nobody around to ask. MAngband is real-time, yeah, but if you learn from each death, and consider other peoples advice you will become a very adept player much faster than you would in Angband.

So all in all. I only play Angband when I'm unable to be online or I use the Angband-bot to watch some Angband if I'm eating, bored and there's nothing on TV, hehe.

ZAL