Amazing V win

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
PowerWyrm
Balrog

Amazing V win

Post by PowerWyrm » Fri 05.11.2010, 13:48

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10718

This guy managed to win the game without any ego item...
Now a question... does anyone think the same win can be possible in MAngband?

Emulord
King Vampire

Re: Amazing V win

Post by Emulord » Fri 05.11.2010, 18:03

Since we have some better base item types, maybe.

It would need to be done the magely way, and really cheezily too.

serina
Crystal Ooze

Post by serina » Sat 06.11.2010, 20:50

I nominate Domiano/Schroeder to try. He has the right personality for this kind of thing...

ZAL

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by schroeder » Sun 07.11.2010, 08:46

Oh god... I'd kill myself IRL before I got close enough... SURE you can just use power DSM and SURE you can use rings and amulets and a kolla... but man... You'd have to get fee action from your amulet slot!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd do it next server when we have even more awesome base types, but then that would just be a lil silly.

ZAL! WHY did you have to say that!!! Now i actually have a desire to do this, and that...is just bad.
Anything worth being done, is worth being overdone.
My Mangband videos; http://www.youtube.com/user/Schroederband

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Mon 08.11.2010, 14:24

Yes, the win was regular Angband... but 3.1.2v2
This means:
- innate abilities are not capped, so you can get 100% Saving Throw: this means FA becomes pointless, because paralyzing spells/melee attacks need to pass a saving throw to paralyze your character, so you get safe from such attacks
- new mushrooms: Debility to regenerate your mana, Terror to add +5 to speed (cumulative with the spell!), Second Sight for temporary ESP
- wands/staves sold in shops are recharged: this means that you can recharge wands/staves by selling them to shops and immediately buying them back, avoiding the chance of getting them destroyed by using recharge scroll or spell
- summons appear near the caster: so as a mage, you can abuse Create Doors/Mass Banishment trick to get rid of the summons

As I see it, the final set of gear would be:
- weapon: none (BoC in case you don't have PDSM or BDSM)
- shooter: none (nothing worth using)
- ring#1: con+6
- ring#2: speed (best you can get here)
- amulet: magi+4 (for 18/200 INT) or Terken with ESP (for ESP)
- light source: feanorian
- armor: PDSM
- cloak: kolla+2
- shield: orcish+2
- gloves: elven
- boots: none (nothing worth using)

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by schroeder » Mon 08.11.2010, 22:57

*magi amulets only go up to +4
*Elven gloves would cause you to lose casting ability without the free action ego.

I had forgotten about orcish shields though. That will make my eventual painful attempt at this easier.
Already got the perfect character name;
Gandhi.

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Tue 09.11.2010, 13:58

Forgot about the stupid requirement concerning gloves... so yeah no gloves in that case :(
Oh by the way... since it's a V win, the character should start as "brave" no? ;)

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Tue 09.11.2010, 14:14

The early game should be similar to a normal character... dive shallow, spend hours killing stuff with MM and regenerating mana, gather funds for regen amu + int rings.
The midgame will be a hell to play, in particular considering the lack of resists and abilities:
- FA: will probably require using a ring for a while
- SI: playing HE to cover that is almost mandatory
- regen: an amulet will cover that early, but later in the game it won't be possible to get regen
- confusion: I'd say buy a magi amulet as soon as possible, it will also cover FA and give extra int
- blindness: the *big* problem... nothing will be able to give that resist, unless you decide to play the ultimate character, a dwarf mage; playing HE will cover part of it (no blindness effect from light attacks)
- lows + poison: covered by the Resistance spell; if you're paranoid, buy a MHDSM
- other high resists: BoC for chaos, DSM (gold, law, balance and then power)
- ESP: you won't probably be able to use an ESP item; this means you'll have to use and abuse the Detect spells; or swap magi amulet/terken with ESP

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by schroeder » Wed 10.11.2010, 13:18

Personally, i would go the route of forgoing blind/confusion resist, in favor of esp and free action.

If you have a magi amulet on, then you would have to get free action from a *valuable* ring slot.
An esp terken amulet would cut your int down and make you lack confusion res, but give you free action and ESP

You can get 'regeneration' from magi staffs (which are rather 'cheap' right now)

From my experience, you only need maybe one or two resists to gain experience through killing Ds. Once you gain enough HP and speed to (hopefully) not be 1-shot in the depths, you can skum for power DSM. From my experience, this costs about 100 enlightenment potions (done this about 4 or 5 times) if you have no ability to kill things, and you may also find the one ring on the way (lol).
You can then finally kill things ok and hit lvl 50.

My suggestion then would be ignore trying to kill any uniques and go strait for M.

The question to me then becomes; magi amulet or trickery amulet. Mana storm or metier storm.
I have a sneaking suspicion that metier storm with trickery amulet could give you more DPS than mana storm with magi amulet, since your speed is so very low and your int is also so low...
Essentially, the Morgoth fight will be the ultimate test of luck.

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Wed 10.11.2010, 13:38

Magi amulets give FA, so definitely use one. Lacking blind/conf is out of question, since some stuff can permanently blind/confuse you without any means of recovery, especially with low speed/AC.
I started a char yesterday to try this challenge: a dwarf mage (natural max int and con at 18/100). He's currently level 15 with over 120 hps (this will help a lot), and already bought a regen amu and minor int rings. Next step is to scum 1000ft for enough cash to buy a magi amulet (at 100k a piece, this will take a LONG time) and improve both int rings to +6, then level to 28 and buy R&S for the Resistance spell. I hope then to see stat gain...

schroeder
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by schroeder » Wed 10.11.2010, 14:07

My plan is to start a character this weekend, get enough AU to buy a heal pot from the BM, and then to gain cash while studying for school since I don't have enough time to really dive.
By the time I finally do have time, my stats will be maxed, i'll have all the spell books, an esp terken, an ok speed ring, a +6 con ring, and several magi staffs.
I'll also carry teleportation and destruction staffs with me on dives, which is a 'safe enough' version of teleport and destruct, since don't have conf and blind resist.

I will kill what I can, and bring 2 or 3 DSMs with me on dives to swap around so I can kill various things. Hopefully I won't instantly die and waste the time I spent skumming the BM.

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Tue 30.11.2010, 14:23

Oh my... Eddie won with an egoless IRONMAN character. The ultimate challenge...

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Thu 02.12.2010, 13:56