A very frightening tale

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
Warrior
Evil Iggy

A very frightening tale

Post by Warrior » Sat 01.04.2006, 12:18

This is a very frightening tale about what can happen deep down in the dungeon if you suddenly find yourself transformed into a bored, careless imbecile, like I did a few minutes ago.

The story begins...

The big and strong dunadan warrior "Zaphod" recalls to 6350 as usual, he instantly makes sure that the nearby surroundings are perfectly safe and moves to a safe location before he start looking around on the level.

"Booring", he says, "I'll kill the D's and the Z's and then recall, I forgot to bring scrolls of recharging"

So, with perfect carelessness he wanders around on the level, finds himself slapping balance wyrms around with his shovel with one hand while yawning loudly and scratching his head with the other...  "how could I forget the recharge scrolls?"

Well, after clearing out most of the level our stupid-ass hero runs into a master Q and is immediately surrounded. Being the proffesional dungeon rat that he is he has already cleared the level for hounds so he nonchalantly hits the teleport macro and lands in safety.

"Hah, silly Q" he thinks to himself.

He runs back to the summoned undead, a couple of master liches and slaughters them rather quickly.
However, he fails to notice one fatal thing, stm wand has been drained empty!

Happy with the drops from the liches he puts on double resistances and boosts his speed and hits tele level, he's feeling lucky!

He lands on 6300 and finds himself in a large room and instantly a large multihued hound pack starts moving towards him, just outside of the room. He quickly runs toward a corner of the room to use his stone to mud wand to make a safe little tunnel but, woe! it's empty!

He then equips his digger and starts digging but somewhere everything goes wrong and he is utterly confused, wondering if he is having one of his nightmares again, whats the phial doing on the ground and why isn't that damn granite giving up, he's using his pick isn't he? and where'd that purple DSM come from, it wasn't there a few miliseconds ago? And what about that crossbow?

A little later he also notices that both his rings are lying on the floor, dam +20 and speed +14.

The granite wall is still unharmed, mysteriously our hero is digging with his bare hands and the chaos hounds breathe - YOU FEEL TOO CONFUSED!

Dreads from the vault below has now closed in on our hero and starts picking up all the gear on the floor, it is lagging badly and in PANIC (or pure instincts) he heals himself and manages to teleport away. The level is a mess and he is hallucinating badly. He hits teleport level and ends up in a large vault at 6350 surrounded by flashing A's and light green N's and he teleports to what appears to be a safe spot, until a red x approaches. The red x turns out to be a Xorn however...

After a long while he can see clearly. Until this point he hasn't been sure if he's been dreaming, if he's dead or alive. He is however alive. Through all the lag and all the monsters he has survived! He has lost  his digger, his armor, his bow and both rings. He looks around the level trying to find his gear but it is lost, he's on a new level.

Ecstatic to be alive he hits recall and is soon after again back up in town.

Damn.

That was wild.

Remember to bring your scroll of recharging down, my dear warrior friends. And remember to use that staff of *destruction* when in doubt. For once I didn't, the vault looked spicy and the hound pack was large and most of the time I'd go poof in that situation.

More luck than I deserved...

:-X
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Murdin
Crimson Mold

Re: A very frightening tale

Post by Murdin » Fri 03.11.2006, 18:36

I just noticed this was posted on April 1st. Is this a real story? If so, wow, wild!
......####
...@+;...# Sigh.
......#....#
......####

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Sat 04.11.2006, 09:33

Yes, it's a true story... still can't believe how lucky I was to get out of the situation.

Anyway, to explain why so much of my equipment was suddenly lying on the ground:

"T" is tunneling and "t" is takeoff.
I guess I either missed caps lock or shift some of the time when I tried to dig into the walls and when your inventory is full it'll just drop the unequipped object to the ground.

for some reason the numbers on the num pad acted like a-l, not sure why... now I've inscribed all equipment with !k!v!s!d!t (except Dor-Lomin, I like to be able to see whats under monsters...). But sometimes the num pad still acts like the normal letters and I risk losing stuff.
I guess it might be some macro fuckup, but kinda doubt it, since it's the same with other characters and on other servers...
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Avenger
Skeleton 2-Headed Troll

Post by Avenger » Sun 05.11.2006, 09:46

Heh ouch. Nice job surviving though, I woulda definitely been asking for a rescue after a situation like that.