Retiring

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
Avenger
Skeleton 2-Headed Troll

Re: Retiring

Post by Avenger » Thu 26.04.2007, 03:07

Seems I've missed alot in my absence.

Well, I may as well post my thoughts on this issue.

Clearly, I've been gone for some time now, and the reason, mostly, is that I don't really feel I have time for a game that doesn't provide a sense of permanence. Right now I am mostly playing Runescape, an MMORPG with a player base of about 5 million, for those who aren't familiar with it. I've had the same account for 2 years, and despite dying many times and losing alot of wealth, I still have my accumulated experience. No matter what happens to me, I never lose my skill levels, and thus my ability to participate in certain activities, and while there is a consequence for dying, I can usually make back any lost wealth with the skills I have, in a not-too-great period of time. Also, in Runescape, I don't have to be incredibly good at the game to get by, and because of the large player base, essential items are always freely available, albeit at very high cost sometimes.

By contrast, in MAngband, anytime I die, I not only lose all my gear(although of course the possibility remains that some or even most of it will be recovered), but I lose half of my total experience. This can amount to a huge number of hours, and if accompanied by the loss of some particularly good gear, will set me back a long way. On top of this, there is also the possibility of ghost death, which destroys *everything* I've put into the account, removing all my experience, all my boosted stats, and in most cases, all my gear, as the level will generally reset. Also, even when I'm playing well and the RNG is smiling on me, I still need to better my gear in order to play deeper, safer, faster. There are in MAngband countless possible equipment items and combinations that could provide what I need, but due to the very small player base, and the even smaller percentage of this base with regular access to powerful items, certain key pieces to my equipment set my not only not be available, but they may not even exist. Some may never have existed in the history of the game(for example, a +2 +2 Orcish Avari with a key resistance). Sure, I may be able to get by with lesser equipment, I may be able to cover most of the critical resistances, but I will never be as safe or strong as I could be. And regardless of whether I could afford a certain item or not, it may simply not exist. Beyond this, there is always the imminent server reset.

I realize, perhaps better then most, that this is how the game is meant to be, but right now I just don't have the incentive or desire to play in this kind of environment.

Since the death of my last successful character(a nasty situation involving the Tarrasque and an unfortunate ghost teleport next to the Mouth), I have not only realized the points I mentioned above, but also that I don't have the skill necessary to play the game well yet. I know this skill can only be built by continual play and experience, but I don't have the time right now to devote to a game in which I will certainly die many times before returning to my former status.

I love the community here, and I most certainly do intend to resume playing MAngband at some point, but currently, the aspects of the game that I've mentioned prevent me from wanting to spend my time here.

Again, I will return. Best of luck to you all, dive safe.

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Mon 30.04.2007, 02:34

Hey Zaphod, thanks for the understanding post! It helps to know someone cares about the frustration. It has been a blast... playing along side a Pro.

I have been trying to control PIXELS on a screen. The truth of the matter is none of us are really in control. Control is a self-deceiving illusion. The best thing is to embrace our limited control over virtual and real events. The psychological effect RPG's can have is incredible. It makes me feel foolish for giving a game such importance.

I agree with you Avenger! Though, time is something you can choose to use on anything. Just depends on your current goals and aspirations! Currently I can play it... even with school/work and other activities. I Picked this game over many others because it is so much more challenging... keeps me coming back for more thrills. Doesn't get old until you can kill Morgoth 10 times in the same week. Only cheaters have reported being able to do that. Best of all it is free with no strings attached. The only acceptable excuse for not playing something you enjoy would be (wife and kids) you can't choose to ignore them without dire consequence. Everything else can be prioritized however one wants.

I had the pleasure of conquering a vault today!
             "N:89:The Reward is Worth It"
Ironically this is not entirely true... It had some gear in it that added to my worth, but no items worth wearing. Certainly only pertains to this game.  

Either luck OR favor have returned to me. Balance DSM alludes me still (an item I need to make a decent set), but I have been extremely lucky diving at 4500ft especially without nether resist. That is exhausting but keeps my avoidance skills honed!

I want to hunt with someone again... Gets kinda lonely down there!

Murdin
Crimson Mold

Post by Murdin » Mon 12.11.2007, 01:04

Oi. I don't know if I'm truly retired or not. I loved playing with you guys, the community here's great, but these days I'm so busy it's not even funny. >_< I wouldn't mind being able to come back, but it'd be like relearning everything all over again (again).

If only there were more hours in a day or I didn't have to sleep...
......####
...@+;...# Sigh.
......#....#
......####