Oldyzs was deleted

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
Oldyzs
Black Yeek

Oldyzs was deleted

Post by Oldyzs » Sat 01.01.2005, 23:45

I'm really very upset about having my 2 chars deleted...to die a death of dignity would have been soo much more appropriate. I know that everyone has a bunch of chars but this was my first and the loss has been very painful. Being a dunadan he was difficult to exp up, not to mention the cash and loads of equipment and pots I had in my three houses which I also lost.  I almost did not come back to Mangband because of it.. I do not have the loads of time that some people have to play and have been dealing with life's responcibilites for the past couple of months, apparently my lack of playin got me deleted. So here I'm again ..is it worth even startin a new char? I mean I enjoy the game but Im no computer whiz and it takes time for someone like me.. (computer DUH) to play and get a char to a decent level.
I just started one again and honestly...it wont probally last long, deleting should be done to the pains in the ass who cheat and make it miserable for others to play or someone whos been dormant for at least 10-12 months. I just know that my sons and nephew can throw a char together and in one day be at level 25 or higher... me welll this is going to take some time, probally more then I have. So to all who have been there helpin me along...Thanx .. I hope I can still find the time to play but if not "it was real" Cathy

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Re: Oldyzs was deleted

Post by Fink » Sun 02.01.2005, 11:46

I believe you were deleted for going inactive while hoarding artifacts.

-Fink

Oldyzs
Black Yeek

Post by Oldyzs » Mon 03.01.2005, 05:31

U say that as if I had tons of arts??? I only had a sword and boots (which I was wearing) and in my 3-4 houses I only had 2-4 artifacts, very low level ones, which I usually sold to the newbies at a good price. So I think hoading is a strong word unless wearing an art and not playing is considered hoarding... I have seen many complaints concerning the hoarding of the arts so I tried not to keep them for too long if I couldnt find a buyer so I honestly dont believe I was "hoarding" artifacts. I just had a few, which I truly believe was a minimal amount compared what shows up after a higher level player is killed, I just did not think to sell them before I got too busy to play.

Oldyzs
Black Yeek

Post by Oldyzs » Mon 03.01.2005, 06:02

Well, I asked my sons about it and they said that because I was inactive that it IS considered "hoarding". Also that there is a limited time to hold arts if your not wearing them. So then I guess was "hoarding" but want to clarify that I did not have like a buku' amount of arts just a few which mostly I was wearing. :-[

Big_Juan_Teh_Furby
Iridescent Beetle

Post by Big_Juan_Teh_Furby » Mon 03.01.2005, 11:38

If it's any consolation, I was on when you were deleted, and Crimson made a comment along the lines of "I hate doing this, but..."

(not his exact words, but the gist of what he said)
When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can turn into deadly projectiles.

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Mon 03.01.2005, 15:13

I recall once upon a time that the unwritten rule was changed such that having arts on the floor in your house was deemed illegal and would get you flagged in the audits. You'll probably find some of those arts again. I mean, I dumped three hard to find arts, and two of them were found the next day. Glaive of Pain 9d6 +30+30 anyone? And, people tried to sell me back my arts while I was playing - if you name the ones you had, you'll probably get an offer eventually.

Your sons can create a level 25 character in a day, but you inspire respect from the other players. Isn't that really worth more?
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Tue 04.01.2005, 01:50

I'm assuming from all this that it isn't possible to delete art out of someones inventory or house easily?

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Tue 04.01.2005, 01:56

You assume correctly!

I can't (so I don't) do the whole patching-a-running-instance-with-a-debugger thing. Crimson can do it, but it is a very long, time-consuming procedure from what I've seen. And when you're cleaning up a few hundred houses and characters... you want to take the quick way, not the fair way.

Oldyzs
Black Yeek

Post by Oldyzs » Tue 04.01.2005, 05:18

:P :P Thank you for the info...as far as the glaive of pain, that was a cool art I had it for a while and it was alot of fun...till I died and lost it within a week, but I was happy that my speed boots survied, that was the beginning of the end cause I lost all my nether res and no one was around to purchase new equip. Big juan just died a agonizing death and so did Lopper. With Oldyzs I had no macros, well somtime for a day when the boys would set them for me ;D cause Im computer illiterate :P even Steel was impressed with how far I made it without macros. I guess that I just need to suck it up and try to start a new player and learn how to macro...burrrr even the thought of it gives me the chills :o but steel and the boys said they will teach me and eventually I'll learn how (in about ten years) because according to them its reallly easy. I on the other hand think its going to be a bit painful along with learnin books and spells and all that. You'll see me ..Ill be the dwarf palidin teleing around in circles...  ;D

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Tue 04.01.2005, 16:29

Macros are super easy. You'll see!

Here's my favorite method. It's really easy once you get the hang of it.

1) Write down the key sequences you use the most - for example, if you cast prayer e from book 1 (Call Light), then p1e is your Call Light sequence.

2) Put your character in a safe place, like in town. Go to your Macros screen in MAngband, by pressing % (that's shift-5.)

Here's where you actually make the macros.

3) Press 3. This lets you enter your sequence.

4) Type \e

5) Type your key sequence.

6) Press Enter. This confirms your sequence.

7) Press 5. This creates a normal macro.

8) Press the key you want to assign that sequence to, for example F1. I use Ctrl-L for my light macro. Be careful with the Ctrl-series of keys.

Repeat steps 3 through 8 for each key sequence you want to macro.

9) Press 2, type your character's name, type ".prf" without the quotes, and then press Enter. This saves your macros for your character so they work next time you open the game.

10) Press Escape, because you're done!

Here's what I use with a paladin.

F1 OoD (p3b*t)
F2 Cure Poison (forgot the sequence)
F3 Teleport Level (forgot the sequence)
F4 Fire ammo inscribed {@f1} (f1*t)
F5 Cure Mortal 8d10 (p3h)
F6 Heal 300 (p4c)
F7 Prayer (p4a)
F8 PfE (p3e)
F9 Quake (p3f)
F10 Tele Self (p5b) -- can also be set to Tele Level
F11 Sense Surroundings (p3g)
F12 Clairvoyance (p6e)

[Tab] Perception (p6c)

Ctrl+D (Doors) Find Doors+Stairs (p1g)
Ctrl+E (Eat) Satisfy Hunger (p2f)
Ctrl+F (Find) Find Traps (p1f)
Ctrl+L (Light) Call Light (p1e)
Ctrl+Z (Zap) Portal (p2b)

I also inscribe Healing potions @q1, RLL potions @q2, and Speed potions @q3, Perception staves @u1, Tele staves @u2, Disarming rods @z1, and my digger and main weapon @w1. This is so I can just press q1 if I need to heal myself, q2 if I've been drained, q3 to get a temporary speed boost, u1 to identify an item, u2 to teleport when afflicted somehow, z1 to disarm traps, and w1 to switch between digging a tunnel and fighting.

Anyar
Giant Troll

Post by Anyar » Tue 04.01.2005, 18:16

i didnt know you could use ctrl for macro
how do you set it?

Oldyzs
Black Yeek

Post by Oldyzs » Tue 04.01.2005, 18:34

::) Wow that does seem simple enough... thanx... one down fall though is that I type with 2 fingers sooo even after I get my macros set i'll probally still be teleing in circles for some time ;D. I was really touched by what ya said Berendol pertaining to respect and all Thanx! now I see that most post are pretty old so I'm not going to run and grab a pencil to scribble the macro procedure down just hope that it is printable  ;) and No my handwriting is not as bad as my typing..I went to school when we had to write everything freehand and in cursive and No I'm not that old...yet :-/

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Tue 04.01.2005, 19:50

The day cursive handwriting is dropped from the curriculum will be a sad day indeed.

What you could do, if you've got a printer, is select the part you want to print, and go to the File menu, click Print, then make sure the Selection radio button is chosen. That's as opposed to All or Pages/Range/whatever. Then you can print a selection! I bet most of your friends don't know that trick.

I usually do my macros with one hand, because I have large hands. I'll hold Ctrl with my left pinky and press the letter key with another finger, and yes, I can press Ctrl+P that way with my thumb! Not that it feels good, or that I actually do it that way regularly. If you've got smaller hands, hold Ctrl with a finger on one hand and press the letter key with another. You really only need two fingers to play... it's just really handy to have one hand on the numeric keypad at all times. Muscle memory is an interesting thing - your hands will remember how to do it without looking eventually.

Anyar: Hold Ctrl while you press the key when you're setting the macro's key. Be careful not to override your game functions like Ctrl+K, Ctrl+X, Ctrl+P, Ctrl+R, etc. The ones I chose are safe to use. See the help, in the command list section. (press ? in the game or see the documentation section on the website - click the word "MAngband" in the blue box at the top of any forum page)

Troubleshooting tip! If you accidentally macro Ctrl+P or some other key you use, and can't get it back, that's when you create an Identity Macro. Go to your macro screen, press 6, and press the key you want to restore back to its original functionality. Simple, right?

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Wed 05.01.2005, 00:15

And, for a new character, probably the most immediately useful macro to make is to set up a ranged weapon, to fire at the nearest enemy. Have you ever used one of those Oldyzz?

-Fink