Cursed Ring of Teleport strikes again

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Cursed Ring of Teleport strikes again

Post by Fink » Sat 11.11.2006, 19:37

The classic tale of woe once again was sprung on us, and this time Hundeby's mage Radagast was the unwitting target.

I speak, of course, of accidentally putting on a cursed Ring of Teleport.

Hundeby can clarify, but I believe the secenario entailed a new player giving Radagast a Ring of Teleport. We all kind of assume that when a player is passing one out, that it has been defanged with a Scroll of Remove Curse. Saddly no - this bad boy was still glowing with unholy cursed doom.

What got it under Radagast's "never trust a newbie to do anything but get you killed" radar was that this ring was inscribed with somethingorother. Still, Radagast was careful to id it, but the inscription covered up the cursed tag.

He put it on, and looked down at his new ring glinting in the light. A moment later, he reached to remove it, got a worried look on his face, and was promptly yanked sideways halfway accross town.

Needless to say, the server erupted in laughter.

However, unlike the time when I myself accidentally put on a cursed ring of teleport (after which I finally just had Ashi shoot me out of the sky so I would drop the ring when I hit the ground dead, after a half hour of scrambling to make it to a Scroll of Remove Curse laying on the ground), the RNG saw fit to stock shop 5 with a very suprising number of Scrolls of Remove Curse: Radagast must be blessed - about 20 or so generated in the shop.

So, we littered town with Scrolls, and sat back to watch the show. Here's an action shot of the proceedings:

Saddly, Radagast didnt make it in the attempt shown above - just as he got to the scroll, he tele'd away again across town. But, after a number of rounds of appearing somewhere, stumbling around to get his bearings, realizing a scroll was nearby, and racing to get it, he finally got to his prize, dove on it, and uncursed his ring while teleporting through the ether.

So the new moral of this recurring story is: uninscribe Rings of Teleport before you wear them! And, we can now add this to the list of pranks you can pull on people: inscribing cursed Rings of Teleport with "uncursed" :P

Avenger
Skeleton 2-Headed Troll

Re: Cursed Ring of Teleport strikes again

Post by Avenger » Tue 14.11.2006, 22:06

Haha that's great... happened to me so many times. Nice to see you got rid of it tho.

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Sat 18.11.2006, 09:47

Something even funnier (which cannot happen on regular Mangband, but on TomeNET it can): inscribe autocursing gear (amulets of DOOM for example) with {!=} (autopickup). Instant laugh...

Avenger
Skeleton 2-Headed Troll

Post by Avenger » Sun 19.11.2006, 15:36

That's just mean lol.