easy-high-speed-mangband

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Re: easy-high-speed-mangband

Post by Fink » Thu 17.11.2005, 15:34

i aggree that is the "magic" of the game..but for those who doesent have that much time to play and want some fun in doing good instead of dying i think there should be atleast 1 EHS server online...

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Thu 17.11.2005, 18:41

Believe it or not, I know what you mean and I think you're right. There SHOULD be a wide range of different servers out there, because it's important to give the players what they want and the chance to try something new once in a while.

However...

Putting up an easy-high-speed server of some kind with modifications to make the game easier might be a bad thing for the game itself, I have no doubt most people want to do better, they want to win the game! And if they can do that easily in short time on a modified server, they might not bother to play on the official server or other vanilla/ironman servers. They may get their friends to play easy high speed and there may be a lot of players that never bother to play the game as it is, only a variant that reminds me of the old "unlimited lives and ammo" mode in some old shoot'em ups.

I know how easy it is to get stuck in old habits. And playing an easy game because it is easy.
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Sat 19.11.2005, 16:34

I agree with Warrior! All you want is a 'quick fix'! A momentary 'high' is all you are looking for... it doesn't last. If you want something that will keep you rivited it has to be in hard work... IT is much more gratifying to be a champion when you have earned it than if you just cheat to get there!

PS Not that finding loop holes isn't part of it. :)
Just ask Ashiki!

Avenger
Skeleton 2-Headed Troll

Post by Avenger » Sun 20.11.2005, 00:34

Yeah, playing easy games also isn't good for your skills in general. I used to be fairly decent at angband variants when I used to play mang alot, because its a difficult game. But after playing Hengband as a Golem berserker for a while, I can't get a mang character or any other character started very easily. If you play easy games you get used to it, and then a challenging game like mangband or a challenging class in another variant becomes that much more difficult. My advice is, if you feel like you need a change, check out ToMEnet, or take a look at one of the (very) many single player variants out there, but don't go for an easier version of the game you're already playing.

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Fri 10.08.2007, 11:01

Err, I'm back...after 2 years of being away, I'm back...

And I have 1 thing to say about this matter:
I totally agree with you, EHS was a "killer of the fun", it lasted a few weeks and I got bored, I even took your tip and made my own server, modified some monsters and such, that got boring after just a few days...
However, I'm back, I've grown into the Thorbear I am, I think I've managed to slay the last bits of n00b in me and I'll see if I have time to get "back in action" ;)

-Thorbear (old Super)

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Fri 10.08.2007, 20:34

Welcome back!

Good point, on being careful about easy-ness. This is a good thing to keep in mind when messing around with Cheezeband :P