So, Onto the field.

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
Crimson
King Lich

So, Onto the field.

Post by Crimson » Mon 26.05.2003, 13:46

Fair enough, we've got some considerable dissention about resetting the server, and there are viable options.

Let's vote.  you get two options.

1) Reset rohnan.mangband.org on 0.7.3
2) Create a new server, and leave rohnan alone.

While discourse is encouraged, and required, please make the 1st line of your vote your choice.  yes, you can later change your mind by posting again with a different choice.  The last one you select becomes your vote.

There is no proper way to thank you guys for your continued support and commitment.  

I will, if necessary, postpone the reset pending a clear outcome.  given no clear outcome, my preference will be to reset.
Are you not entertained?
Is this not what you came here for?

-- Maximus Decimus Meridias, The Gladiator

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Re: So, Onto the field.

Post by Berendol » Mon 26.05.2003, 13:48

2) Create a new server, and leave rohnan alone.

This would give people time to make their farewells to the original game. I'm sure with the new features they would want to play the new one much more, but they might want to keep a high-level player to experiment with in the meantime. You could eventually phase out the old rohnan server.
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Big_Juan_Teh_Furby
Iridescent Beetle

Post by Big_Juan_Teh_Furby » Mon 26.05.2003, 14:37

2.) Create a new server.

I agree with Berendol's assessment.  If needs be, you could phase out Rohnan after awhile...or, even (if you're willing) hand that code off to someone else who'll want to run the server as-is.

Don't get me wrong, I really do appreciate the time and effort you put into MAngband.  Alex gave up a looong time ago, and it's good to see someone actively taking an interest.  Perhaps you're right, maybe we'll see the new features and go "wow, I should start playing right now!" and abandon rohnan...but, on the flip side, perhaps we won't find your improvements enough to abandon the characters we've worked on thus far.  Only time will tell.
When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can turn into deadly projectiles.

Herbert
Clear Yeek

Post by Herbert » Mon 26.05.2003, 15:38

2.) Create a new server and save rohnan as it is

Hehe, was my idea ;-)

Herbert

Narchan
Giant Spotted Rat

Post by Narchan » Mon 26.05.2003, 21:33

1) reset rohnan.mangband.org

Well why not? It has been quite some time since it has been up, and the next reset for the next version of mangband is still probably a long way off.
#############
ZZZZZZZZ@ZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
#############

uh oh

Big_Juan_Teh_Furby
Iridescent Beetle

Post by Big_Juan_Teh_Furby » Mon 26.05.2003, 21:34

You know, I died THE death today, and I STILL say leave Rohnan up.
When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can turn into deadly projectiles.

Bud

Post by Bud » Tue 27.05.2003, 07:25

2. if it does not make a hassle for crimson, why not?

Data

Post by Data » Tue 27.05.2003, 09:01

Xbytez

Post by Xbytez » Tue 27.05.2003, 11:59

In my opinion the most sensible solution is to run two Mangband servers.

As a newcomer to 'multiplayer' Angband, and returning player to Angband after a long break, I do not have a long standing character to worry about. I for one would play the new server as soon as it was live.

So I'd vote with 2.

monkey
Squint-Eyed Rogue

Post by monkey » Tue 27.05.2003, 18:48

Well, (1) has its advantages - it might let us get some work done in the office - but no, (2) is much more preferable!
Oook!

Varguar
Nasty Little Gnome

Post by Varguar » Tue 27.05.2003, 23:22

I would have to say 2 if it dosn't give you any problems crimson.  If it gives you any guff at all or you dont have the time to update both servers then I say 1.  If you decide to reset rohan I have this to say,  Don't give anyone any before hand knoledge about when you do it.  Just say to yerself "It's time to reset the server" and do it. post it here but dont give anyone any idea your going to do it before hand.  Ohterwize people who arn't working and have no life like me and jube will just power level on day one and  cycle anyone who gets close to our level. ;D

Just my 2 cents worth.

Domino
Giant Hunter Ant

Post by Domino » Wed 28.05.2003, 02:58

2) Create a new server.

Couple reasons.  Reason 1 it was not made clear at the outset that we would be resetting every win.  Not to be arrogant but I could have won at any time in the past several months but chose NOT to because I did not want to loose my character(s) to forced retirement.  Instead I wanted to reach other goals (one of which I completed with Angus and would have killed Morgoth 2 weeks ago if I could have gotten a character map, btw is the audit fixed yet so I can get one?).  Second reason is that many players have worked many months to reach thier own goals and make thier attempts at Morgoth.  If the default rule is now going to be to reset after any win then quite frankly most players won't get a chance until quite a few of us stop playing.  
King of the Hill Baby!

Hermes
Battle-Scarred Veteran

Post by Hermes » Wed 28.05.2003, 18:30

2, I guess, I will play on the new server,  The rumors I have heard about some of the changes make it well worth it.  This is only as long as it is easy to do otherwise reset and start over.

Crimson
King Lich

Post by Crimson » Fri 30.05.2003, 23:43

this vote closes at 00:00 utc on the 31st.  

If you're holding out for a last minute vote, now would be the time.  Currently, even given discarding guest votes, the rohnan server will remain intact.

Crimson.
Are you not entertained?
Is this not what you came here for?

-- Maximus Decimus Meridias, The Gladiator

Ashi
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Ashi » Sat 31.05.2003, 13:57

I vote option 2.

I want to start playing with the new town as soon as possible. Let's put it up right now. ;D