New MAngband variant

Issues, news, and discussion specific to the PWMangband variant.
Rali
Clear Yeek

Re: New MAngband variant

Post by Rali » Wed 18.07.2007, 11:07

How about some sort of (mana limit | cooldown | fail rate) for monster (spells | breath attacks | summons) ? Or is something like that in the 3.x system?

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Wed 18.07.2007, 21:05

Re: new vanilla content

He did start, but I think he ran into some extra work that would have to be done to support now items. We don't see any of that stuff yet, so I'm pretty sure he just did monsters/uniques.

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Wed 18.07.2007, 21:12

Check the relevant BMAngband sources. I did a lot of the work for you already, regarding items and such. Lots of things like resistances, etc. are complete.

However my variant didn't completely get the items done. The biggest obstacle to full 3.0.x items is ripping out the existing, outdated object generation code and replacing it with the current code; that is the one hurdle I didn't jump. I imagine any of the big variant maintainers with a predictable few hours a day could do that in a week or so.

[edit] I agree with the monster mana 100% and its implementation has been stewing on my back burner for a couple years. I really, really wanted to go there with BMAngband but my free time and network resources dried up.
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Sat 15.09.2007, 23:09

Hey PW, could list out a brief overview of your variant? That is, a general look at whats in it, new ways of doing things, and any commands unique to it?

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Sun 16.09.2007, 06:58

- New races:
 * yeek: very weak but fast learner
 * goblin: high dexterity for stealthy classes
 * ent: very strong, selective ESP depending on character level, very slow learner
 * thunderlord: good stats, limited full ESP (radius depending on character level), extremely slow learner
- New classes:
 * sorceror: a pure spellcaster (1 bpr max, lowest hp of all classes, more mana to cast offensive spells)
 * unbeliever: a pure anti-spellcaster (protected by an antimagic shield to prevent monsters from casting... but also preventing the character from using magic)
 * archer: the master of missiles (new spells/spellbooks for powerful branded missiles and support spells)
 * monk: a martial artist (cannot use weapons, but get more powerful techniques as they level up)
 * telepath: the master of the mind (most original class with unique spells to compensate their mediocre fighting abilities
- New stat roller: stats are rerolled until primary stat = 17, secondary stat >= 16 and third stat >= 15
- Random artifacts
- List of uniques per player
- Improved stores (more good items, 4 pages of items)
- Selective ESP (orc, troll, animal, giant, demon, undead, dragon, evil)
- New objects: magic ammo (no need to recharge quivers with those, but low damage and no enchants/egos/arts), dark swords (provide antimagic field that will prevent monsters from casting), rocks (missiles that can be used without a missile launcher, mainly used by monks)
- New runtime options for randarts generation, art hoarding, ironman server
- All items in shops fully identified
- Keyless houses
- A couple different spells for mages and priests
- Totally new spells/books for rogues
- Sauron has become a mandatory quest before killing Morgoth
- Winners cannot use/pick up artifacts anymore
- New command: (I) to examine items in inventory and (x) to examine items in shops
- New command (related to telepath/sorceror "Mind Vision" spell): (x) to end the mind link with another character
- New command: (') to examine items worn by party members
- More messages in the term 4 window (monsters killed, players attaining a new level...)

Emulord
King Vampire

Post by Emulord » Sun 16.09.2007, 09:21

are monks in PWMangband like Z monks?
1v1 = you winning because the enemy is in stunlock until high levels when too much can summon and uniques can't be stunned by monk attacks?

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Fri 21.09.2007, 18:46

Never played Z...
No, monks are just martial artists with the number of bpr and dam dice increasing with clvl.