Up and Running!

Issues, news, and discussion specific to the PWMangband variant.
Hades
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Up and Running!

Post by Hades » Thu 21.05.2009, 01:23

Well,
I just threw up the server. Soon I will be hosting a meta server hopefully also that me and lopper will be using for our little experiment on our lag free environment. That meta server I put up will be the Home for PWMAngband and also the home of anyone who wishes to run a test server. Thank you for your patience in this matter. Please report any connecting or lag issues to me at thesect@hotmail.com(which will soon change to an official e-mail account)

Once I run the new meta server all clients I will manually adjust so it will connect directly to the new meta and easily make it so you may connect to the Europe one easily. I will soon host a permanent place where you may freely download the client source.

Your Friend
Cord aka Later
PWMAngband Host - Check out http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9 and download the client, server, lib files, sound fx patch and even the source code for this new variant!

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Re: Up and Running!

Post by PowerWyrm » Sat 23.05.2009, 21:15

The server is down. It reports to the meta, but each time I try to connect I get "couldn't connect to server. try again [y/n]?"

Hades
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Hades » Sun 24.05.2009, 06:40

Eh weird, I just took off the monitor to. I'll look into it =)
PWMAngband Host - Check out http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9 and download the client, server, lib files, sound fx patch and even the source code for this new variant!

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Sun 24.05.2009, 11:32

Still can't connect... too bad I wanted to *id* that randart broken sword I found yesterday ;)

Hades
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Hades » Sun 24.05.2009, 12:51

Apparently just refreshing the router works. Bad news is I don't have a monitor and my server didn't connect to internet automatically sooo.... You have to wait for afternoon my time. (about 3-5 in the morning yours) to actually see it up again until i grab a monitor from my old house... I'll give you remote access PW so if this happens again u can refresh it yourself. All my admins will have remote access to fix issues like this. I can't be around all the time but the server seems stable was up for a few days problem free until the router wanted to give issues. Sorry for the issue.

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Mon 25.05.2009, 11:03

I saw the server back up yesterday evening. I tried to connect and it worked this time. However, server and character savefiles are all corrupted. I tried to load the sorceror I started to play and got an unitialized char instead. Server highscore file doesn't exist anymore. The /lib/data subdirectory has probably been erased. Considering that all important data have been lost, the only thing to do is to restart a clean instance of the server, and maybe even re-download the server zip file to ensure no vital lib file has been deleted.

Hades
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Hades » Mon 25.05.2009, 12:50

I have a clean server backup installed already on the box. Only problem now is the 5 year old took the wireless antenna out of my box so now I have the tedious task of trying to find it... =P. Ohyeah, note that I deleted pointless savefiles and i ended up with about -109ac and 8562hp. With basically no stats. is the game suppose to remake characters like that who have no savefile?

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Tue 26.05.2009, 12:58

This is a bug. The game was never designed to be able to delete savefiles properly. Note that each time you delete a savefile you lose the corresponding player ID. However here's what you should do to avoid the problem when deleting a savefile:

1) Stop the server
2) Open the savefile, get the player ID: find <player> then id = ...
3) Delete the savefile
4) Open the server savefile, go to the end of the file and find the <player_names> section
5) Decrement the num_players counter
6) Remove the 4 lines of the <player> entry for the savefile you deleted (verify that the corresponding ID is correct)
7) Save the server savefile
8) Restart the server

I'm gonna fix the issue on the next release and make that system more robust. If a savefile doesn't exist for a player, all corresponding entries should be deleted from the player database.