Bug(medium)

Issues, news, and discussion specific to the PWMangband variant.
Hades
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Bug(medium)

Post by Hades » Fri 22.05.2009, 21:30

I noticed that when using the run command (hold Shift/arrow keys) I look at the display and it says (pretty quickly) Command: and then Direction:(to choose target non-direction) display at the top of the screen. It flashes on and off over and over again while running around holding down the arrows keys while running. this causes for the client to freeze and I actually got a fatal error about buffers and there not being enough buffers. This actually makes the client lag a little which is unrelated to the server. I tested it on the main MAngband server and the display on top of screen doesn't display like this one does. I deleted my mac file and did it again with same results. I even made a new character to see if it went away. This can be pretty annoying especially if you don't have fastest computer in the world for the client to be constantly running commands over and over again like that. Maybe it's suppose to be like that? I'm still not sure if that buffer error was related to this problem. I recreated it using the client on my laptop. It says "Read Socket buffer not big enough (65536,65536) Note I am using the DM account with +49 speed so maybe the client is being overloaded with those false Command: stuff. It makes sense to me. But still a bug. So it should be looked into. (PW if you need the DM's password and name just message me I'll be more then happy to give it to you since you are one of the Admins ;). )
PWMAngband Host - Check out http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9 and download the client, server, lib files, sound fx patch and even the source code for this new variant!

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Re: Bug(medium)

Post by Ace » Wed 03.06.2009, 18:46

i dont experienced this maybe you can try to lower the keyboard repeat rate in your windows settings? It can be done somewhere in the control center. Maybe it helps...?

Did you try to use the numpad with numlock off ?

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Thu 04.06.2009, 11:16

I was able to reproduce the problem, and not even using DM or high speed or shift+dir to run. It simply happened with a ghost while running to the temple in town.
Like every "socket buffer not big enough" problem (which fortunately only disconnects the client), this is due to server spamming the client socket buffer with packets. I already fixed a few issues of the same kind. The "running" command must simply spam packets... I'll try to find out which ones.

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Thu 04.06.2009, 14:40

What is alalso probably related issue (due to the spamming) that running into opposite directions quickly increases lag (though I dont recall now if that was resolved)...

Like left, right,left, right,left, right,left, right etc :)

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Tue 16.06.2009, 18:13

I removed a map update in the code when checking player panel and the problem seems to be gone... I hope this will be fixed for good.