PWMAngband 1.1.5 beta is out!

Issues, news, and discussion specific to the PWMangband variant.
PowerWyrm
Balrog

PWMAngband 1.1.5 beta is out!

Post by PowerWyrm » Sat 04.09.2010, 20:28

New PWMAngband 1.1.5 beta released!

The beta version includes all changesets from the vanilla Angband bug database up to #1626, which corresponds to the 3.1.1 milestone. It has the following major features:
- new ID-by-use system from Vanilla
- new block-based savefiles with versioning support for easy maintainance (should help keeping savefiles compatible between updates)
- brand new DM commands to manually build dungeon levels (build your own ironman towns!)

Alignments with Angband 3.x:
- New ID-by-use system (Angband 3.1.1)
- Rearrange identify.c (Angband 3.1.1)
- Add BRAND_FIRE to oil flasks and torches (Angband 3.1.1)
- Turn show_flavors off by default (Angband 3.1.1)
- Remove unnecessary calls to object_value (Angband 3.1.1): object sorting is now only based on base cost instead of real value
- Fix hallucination redrawing (Angband 3.1.1)
- Add messages about monsters pushing or trampling each other (Angband 3.1.1)
- Stop removing the known bits when curses are removed (Angband 3.1.1)
- Try and neaten up object use-by-ID messages a bit (Angband 3.1.1)
- Prompt for which ring to replace when wearing two (Angband 3.1.1)
- Increase the price, reduce the commonness of ID (Angband 3.1.1)
- Remove some more compilation warnings (Angband 3.1.1)
- Monsters summoned from staff/scroll/trap have 0 energy (Angband 3.1.1)
- Block-based savefiles with versioning support (Angband 3.1.1)
- Add a $VERSION marker inside news.txt and replace it with the current version number on load (Angband 3.1.2)
- Correct pricing of torches (Angband 3.1.2): fix for when power-based pricing is enabled
- Warn player when melee attacks do no damage (Angband 3.1.2)
- Add notify_recharge option to notify on rod/activation recharges (Angband 3.1.2)
- Make paralysis non-cumulative (Angband 3.1.2)
- Make permanent walls a different colour (Angband 3.1.2)
- Describe brands on items correctly (Angband 3.1.2)
- Increase prices of ego ammo by assuming +9 launcher (Angband 3.1.2)
- Ensure that unIDd items don't sell for full price (Angband 3.1.2): fix for when power-based pricing is enabled
- Fix process_pref_file_command(): keymaps (Angband 3.1.2)
- Add a constant for max levels out-of-depth, and boost the value from 5 to 10 (Angband 3.1.2)
- Simplify OoD calculation and increase average OoD addition (Angband 3.1.2)

Other changes:
- Fix colored effect descriptions
- Remove obsolete effects in list-effects.h and reorder current ones
- Reorder IDENT_XXX flags
- Got rid of the binary/text file converter (mangconvert.exe): gave not enough benefits compared to the hassle of rewritting it again due to the change in file structure for 1.1.5 block-based savefiles
- New DM level commands: "Enter manual design" (wipes a dungeon level completely, allowing the DM to manually redesign it from scratch, and forbids other players from accessing the level while it is being redesigned) and "Exit manual design" (saves a manually designed dungeon level to /lib/save, using the same format as special static pre-designed dungeon levels, and allows other players to access the level again)
- New DM building command menu with the following commands: "Set Feature" (selects the current feature from terrain.txt), "Place Feature" (places a feature at the DM's location), "Draw Line" (draws a line from the current DM position in a specified direction, using the currently selected feature), Fill Rectangle (fills a rectangle from the current DM position, using the currently selected feature), "Build Mode On" (toggles auto-build on), "Build Mode Off" (toggles auto-build off)
- The Horn of Boromir can now be activated to aggravate monsters, just like all other horns
- Ironman towns (levels 20/40/60/80) have been redesigned for the new 1.1.5 savefile structure using the basic V-style town (files have been saved in the /lib/file subdirectory)

Files updated: client, server, lib, source code.
Files are available for download at the usual location (it's here now: http://powerwyrm.monsite-orange.fr).
Don't forget to update both clients and servers...

Important note: savefile system has been totally rewritten, making old savefiles obsolete! This means that anyone updating to 1.1.5 will have to start a clean instance...

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Re: PWMAngband 1.1.5 beta is out!

Post by PowerWyrm » Tue 07.09.2010, 20:20

Here's a quick update to fix some bugs. The DM level command menu has been expanded to allow better builds of dungeon levels. Ironman towns have been deleted (they'll be redesigned shortly).

List of changes (in no particular order):
- Shops sell zero items if asked to (MAngband 1.2)
- Make player races a bit more varied (Angband 3.1.2): port rp_ptr->new_racial_flags to PWMAngband and use this new set of flags for PWMAngband's additional flags
- Commit a slightly cleaner and possibly less buggy identify.c (Angband 3.1.2)
- "Help/About" client submenu should say "1.1.5"
- Cursed diggers should pseudo-ID as "worthless"
- When using a flavored item, only make the flavor "aware" when an obvious effect is noticed
- Fix malformed PKT_WIELD packet (this should fix the "unknown packet 242" and "cannot receive play packet" error messages when trying to wield an item)
- Removed the static dungeon towns at 1000ft, 2000ft, 3000ft and 4000ft: since 5000ft is now a special quest level, ironman towns will be redesigned to match depths of 750ft, 1500ft, 2250ft, 3000ft, 3750ft and 4500ft
- Added the static dungeon town for 750ft: basic V-style town (file saved in the /lib/save subdirectory)
- The DM level command "Enter manual design" has been split into two commands: "Enter manual design (new level)" (allows the DM to manually redesign a dungeon level from scratch) and "Enter manual design" (allows the DM to manually redesign a dungeon level without starting from scratch)

Files updated: client, server, lib, source code.
Files are available for download at the usual location (it's here now: http://powerwyrm.monsite-orange.fr).
Don't forget to update both clients and servers...

Note: since p_race.txt and p_class.txt have changed, you need to delete the corresponding raw files in /lib/data before restarting your server

Billsey
King Vampire

Post by Billsey » Fri 10.09.2010, 05:35

Wiped the directory, installed the latest beta and started it up. I'm getting an error when I try to connect though, using the new client through the meta...
Mangband Project Team Member

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Fri 10.09.2010, 12:25

What sort of error?

Billsey
King Vampire

Post by Billsey » Sat 11.09.2010, 20:10

It turns out that there's something weird going on with my DNS server. It's returning bad addresses for some URLs, although there's no Mal-ware showing up on my machine. If I do a 'Q' and type in the IP address and port number (209.237.77.245:18350) I connect fine every time. This may be happening on all my Mangband URLs, which would explain the odd behavior in the Meta. I'll work on it more to try and determine what's really going on (and run some more sophisticated Mal-ware scanners on the DNS machine itself, to verify that it hasn't been hijacked).

Unfortunately, I have to way to verify that my ISPs DNS servers haven't been hijacked, other than by elimination. If I change the DNS servers for my local router to my DNS servers instead of the ISPs, and the problem goes away, I *might* have proved theirs are bad,,,

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Fri 15.10.2010, 19:46

PWMAngband 1.1.5 beta has been updated to reflect the new changes: new wilderness generator, new ironman towns, new sound effects.

List of changes (in no particular order):
- Combine "Find Traps" and "Detect Doors/Stairs" for Priests, Paladins and Sorcerors (Angband 3.1.2)
- Remove all traces of self_knowledge (Angband 3.1.2): remove the "Display self-knowledge" menu item, remove self-knowledge effect from potions of *enlightenment*, remove "Insight" spell (Sorcerors)
- Introduce more variety in dungeon size (Angband 3.1.2)
- Fix dungeon-generation hang (Angband 3.1.2): this could happen if no legal spot could be found to generate an object
- Improved room packing and sizing (Angband 3.1.2)
- Give smeagol HURT_LITE (Angband 3.1.2)
- Write monster.txt to canonical format (Angband 3.1.2)
- Fix printf formatting issues (Angband 3.1.2)
- New terrain features (wilderness): mountain (wall type), lava (floor type)
- New terrain features (wilderness minimap display): swamp, town
- New wilderness type (replaces the "lake" type): shore
- New wilderness type (replaces the "grassland" type): grass
- New wilderness type (replaces the "forest" type): wood
- The "swamp" wilderness type has been modified
- The "dense forest" wilderness type has been removed
- New wilderness type (replaces the "wasteland" type): waste
- New wilderness types: mountain, volcano
- The wilderness generator has been simplified and modified to make the wilderness more "interesting"
- Only generate log cabins/arenas outside of town area and houses/log cabins in town area
- The wilderness minimap display now uses graphical tiles when graphics are enabled
- Exploring the wilderness now consumes food again
- Walking on water tiles now triggers drowning damage
- Walking on lava tiles triggers fire damage
- New set of flags for wilderness monsters: WILD_XXX (one flag for each wilderness type to set which monsters can be generated on that particular type)
- Forbid altering terrain features on special levels (digging, creating glyphs, darkness, door creation, trap creation, "Alter reality" spell, wall creation, "Wipe" spell, stair creation, "destruction" effects, earthquakes, burning effects, stone to mud effects)
- Forbid summoning, polymorphing, artifact generation, dropping true artifacts and cloning/breeding on special levels
- The static dungeon town for 1500ft has been added: Bree-style town (file saved in the /lib/save subdirectory)
- The static dungeon town for 2250ft has been added: Gondolin-style town (file saved in the /lib/save subdirectory)
- The static dungeon town for 3000ft has been added: Minas-style town (file saved in the /lib/save subdirectory)
- The static dungeon town for 3750ft has been added: Lothlorien-style town (file saved in the /lib/save subdirectory)
- The static dungeon town for 4500ft has been added: Khazad-style town (file saved in the /lib/save subdirectory)
- Fix infinite loop in "Exit manual design" if no bare floor is present on the designed level
- Fix "Draw Line" to draw full lines
- Fix "Fill Rectangle" to work on "naked" floor grids
- Spell changes (Sorcerors): "Greater Identify" is now available at level 32; new spell "Telepathy" available at level 36; new spell "Trap/Door Destruction" available at level 5; "Satisfy Hunger" is now available before "Turn Stone to Mud"
- Prevent players in undead form from passing through permanent walls (to avoid them entering player houses and destroying items by casting Frost Ball for example)
- Mimic spells are now defined with a starting index of 0 for descriptions and casting
- New sounds have been added for breaths
- New ambient sounds have been added for the different wilderness types
- New ambient sounds have been added for the town during day/night
- New ambient sounds have been added for dungeon levels
- New ambient sounds have been added for special levels
- Sounds have been made more consistent in quality
- Resist time has been added to the artifact Scythe of Slicing 'Soul Reaver'
- New "hidden" resistance: resist mana (currently only available on the artifacts Robe of Incanus, Ribbed Plate Armour of Black Ore and Mage Staff of Ice, and through "mana breath" ability for Shapechangers and Dragons)
- Monsters that breathe mana will now resist mana attacks (basically the "power dragon" family)

Files updated: client, server, lib, source code, sound patch.
See the corresponding thread concerning the new sound patch.

Note: with core files modified (terrain.txt, wilderness generator), a full reset is required to play on servers with the new update

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Fri 15.10.2010, 19:53

I will put my test server on in ironman mode this weekend to test the new ironman towns. It would be cool to have wyrmband updated with normal mode to test the new wilderness generator. If everything goes well, I'll put 1.1.5 out of beta next week.

Hades
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Hades » Sun 17.10.2010, 02:45

Wyrmband has been updated with everything on your website... Sorry about the server being down, I lost power.

Is there a way to make the server run in the background, so when the computer is turned back on, it will start up automatically? And not always be in my way =D.
PWMAngband Host - Check out http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9 and download the client, server, lib files, sound fx patch and even the source code for this new variant!

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Sun 17.10.2010, 14:03

Just put a link to the server in your "start" subfolder...

Billsey
King Vampire

Post by Billsey » Fri 22.10.2010, 05:54

Zaxx wrote:Just put a link to the server in your "start" subfolder...
And configure the computer for autologin...

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Tue 26.10.2010, 12:55

I'm gonna be a little late for the next release. I found a nasty bug and still dunno how to fix it (massive game slowdown when mass-killing stuff, with a Staff of Power or by using Dispel Evil for example... this could even lead to a crash with a socket buffer overflow).

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Thu 28.10.2010, 20:15

The nasty bug should be fixed. Expect a release tomorrow!