PWMAngband embarks on long journey towards 1.1.7

Issues, news, and discussion specific to the PWMangband variant.
PowerWyrm
Balrog

PWMAngband embarks on long journey towards 1.1.7

Post by PowerWyrm » Tue 22.02.2011, 20:34

Since last release, I started to work on porting the features from Angband 3.2.0 into PWMAngband. The main focus will be on these features:
- monster light
- no_selling option
- armor tweaking (AC, DSMs...)
- fractional blows (1.5 blow per round...)
- ranged multipliers add (x3 bow slay orc x3 does x6 against orcs instead of x9...)
- balancing of item drops
- remove birth_money option
- randart changes
- vault/pit/room changes
- coloured messages
- new 8x16 tileset
- major bitflag rewrite
- rewrite edit file parsers
- new WELL1024 RNG
- significant refactoring
- bugfixes and more

This will mean a lot of work...

I've now finished the major bitflag rewrite (object/monster/player/spell flags)... and it took me three weeks to complete it. Now I've started to do some major refactoring to the cave_info/update_view code to implement the new Angband system (this will allow adding monsters with light sources and treat other players like those monsters to simplify a lot of code). I hope it won't take me three more weeks to code it...

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Re: PWMAngband embarks on long journey towards 1.1.7

Post by Warrior » Wed 23.02.2011, 21:21

Many exciting things here, best of luck :)
-- Mangband Project Team Member

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Sat 26.02.2011, 13:33

Update_view() is now up to date with Angband 3.2.0 (this is now using a new algorithm to compute field of view -- see Angband 3.2.0 source code for more info)... Monsters can now carry light sources just as players. Now to implement the remaining features...
I think the most radical change will be the one concerning melee blows. No more integer values, fractional blows will be possible. No more "1 bpr at 18 str, 2 at 18/10... and so I get double damage output with one extra point of str" nonsense! Instead, melee character will have -- hypothetical example -- 1.5 bpr at 18 str (doing 1 bpr a turn and 2 the following turn) and 1.6 bpr at 18/10 str (doing 1 bpr 2 out of 5 turns and 2 bpr the remaining turns). This should make melee characters -- and even more semi-melee characters -- MUCH more enjoyable to play...

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Sat 19.03.2011, 14:58

Damn the guys in the V devteam have done a LOT of refactoring... Almost one month since last update and I've not seen the end of the tunnel with all that refactoring. New text file parsers, menu rewrite, refactoring of externs, defines, UI, and so on... Currently I'm reworking the whole keypress system, adding an ABORT event in the process to fix the problem with major disturbances and icky screens. I hope to be able to resume work on the features soon...

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Sat 26.03.2011, 18:37

The refactoring of the keypress system is now done, as well as all the menus in the game (and yes... browsing/studying spells are now also implemented as a menu). Text files are parsed using the new parser, and most stuff in extern.h is now in dedicated headers (macro.h, attack.h, prefs.h, ...)
Now back to the remaining 26 pages of changes from the V source code repository... sigh...

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Mon 28.03.2011, 11:12

25 pages left! :)

Oh.. and I refactored the spell code so that now every class that has access to "spells" (mage casters, priest casters, shapechangers... even ghosts) uses 'm' to cast and 'p' to project a spell. Every other command has been removed.
Macros now look like:
- \emia' to cast spell 'a' from book 'i' (the ' replaces *t to target the closest enemy... if you want to use the 'old target' option, you can still use *t to target)
- \epia(t to project spell 'a' from book 'i'

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Tue 29.03.2011, 11:03

Fractional blows and new RNG have been implemented. Going slowly... but surely making progress!

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Fri 01.04.2011, 11:04

21 pages left, 5 before the 3.2 milestone... the end is near :)

Vaults have been reworked, more stuff has been refactored... now working on making the new expanded tile system work with Win and SDL clients.

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Mon 04.04.2011, 11:27

Stopped implementing stuff for a while... because Win and SDL clients are totally broken and need some rework.

Planned work:
- server: fix min_col/min_row values (should allow triple bigtile mode: tilewidth = 6 and tileheight = 3)
- server: rework panels ("locate" command should navigate through all panels and display them correctly, whatever tile height/width is)
- server: fix Receive_options read errors
- Win client: fix all glitches -- all gfx modes, tile widths/heights, screen widths/heights should work properly
- Win client: disable resizing/expanded gfx (always 80x24 with single or no tiles) -- this never worked and even crashes when you try to torture the V3.2 Win client
- SDL client: fix little "+"/"-" buttons
- SDL client: fix resizing (the "resize box" prevents windows getting too big, but the window size still allows incorrect values, leading to crashes)
- SDL client: add "plog_aux" (currently, quitting doesn't produce a message... and you need to check the server to track errors)

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Tue 05.04.2011, 09:36

Sorry Flambard, the work on the panel system to implement sizeable windows had to go away...

I greatly simplified player_type to use the following variables:
- screen_wid/screen_hgt: similar to SCREEN_WID/SCREEN_HGT in V3.2
- panel_wid/panel_hgt: similar to PANEL_WID/PANEL_HGT in V3.2
- offset_y/offset_x: same as V3.2, but attached to a player instead of a term
- offset_y_old/offset_x_old: old offset values, used for do_cmd_locate

Then I implemented modify_panel, adjust_panel, change_panel and verify_panel the same way as it is implemented in V3.2, using the variables previously defined. All the old setup_panel, panel_bounds and such methods were removed and replaced by calls to verify_panel.

Not to say, it looks great. And more than that, it allows many cool features, like making the "center map on player" option work perfectly. This will help fixing the client bugs nicely...

This should probably make me think about opening a ticket in the MAng database. Not a lot of work to implement, simplifies panel code greatly and it's so nice...

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Tue 12.04.2011, 12:36

Last page before the V3.2 milestone!

This means that I should have a beta ready for the end of the week...
Now I just need to fix the last bugs with the Win and SDL clients and it should be ok for pretesting.

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Thu 14.04.2011, 21:15

All V3.2 features are now implemented. I'll probably have a beta release for tomorrow (I will really need a lot of testing on this one), but Win and SDL clients will need more work before I fix all the remaining bugs.

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Sat 16.04.2011, 00:52

Looks like I fixed most of the bugs on the Win client tonight...

Plan for tomorrow:
- fix the remaining bugs on the SDL client
- update readme.txt
- release the beta client
- post an announcement here
- pull off a server
- have fun :)

Note: everyone is welcome to playtest the version... look for powerwyrm.dyndns.org on the meta... if it's up, I'm probably playing on it ;)

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Sat 16.04.2011, 21:36

New PWMAngband 1.1.7 beta released!

Check readme.txt for the HUGE list of changes...

Files updated: client and lib files (server and source code will be updated once the non-beta version gets released).
Files are available for download at the usual location: http://powerwyrm.monsite-orange.fr

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Mon 18.04.2011, 17:50

Fixed a few bugs today (including one nasty memory leak on the client). Please redownload client and lib files if you want to play on my test server.

Files updated: client and lib files
Files are available for download at the usual location: http://powerwyrm.monsite-orange.fr