Some questions

Issues, news, and discussion specific to the PWMangband variant.
Ace
Crystal Ooze

Some questions

Post by Ace » Sun 26.08.2012, 15:34

Hi there!

I downloaded and began testing of V1.19 beta and have some questions:

Q:
- squelch, I know it has something to do with suppressing items. But can you explain more how it works? (found the help so this is solved more or less)
- "unignore" - what does that option do?
- In the menue I can change the font fine, however a lot of entries are always greyed out. Can you give a short tutorial on how to enter iso view enable and disable grpahics?
- During my travels into the pits I saw some green walls, what is that? (when looking, they seem to be granite walls)

- I seem unable to generate vaults. Server crashes if I generate by name or number. Server reports:
260812 173640 New Level 650ft Ratings obj:2/mon:103
260812 173640 DM: This seems a tame, sheltered place.
260812 173648 DM: Entering manual design mode...
260812 173721 server panic info save succeeded!

Assertion failed: cave_isempty(c, y, x), file server\generate.c, line 2174

Abnormal program termination

I tried to call from the "orignal vault file" as well as from an edited vault file. For the normal mangband server I have it seems to work to call my custom vaults. i tried calling "Castle Death" by name + number. Any ideas?

And some suggestions:

S:
Maybe it would be nice to enable some debug mode which shows the last command send to the server (keypress), I would like to enable it to ensure and to see how often I have sent a command to the server. Maybe also the last keypress could be shown next / close to the lag meter symbol?

The descriptions for the chars are great, maybe display the primary stats during character generation in a different
Last edited by Ace on Sun 26.08.2012, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Re: Some questions

Post by Ace » Sun 26.08.2012, 15:48

Oh and the server prevents now the Dm from going deeper than 600 ft.... for some reason. I think i will save the server status and create a new one and retry.

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Sun 26.08.2012, 22:03

Also In 1.19 build 1 I did not find any restore dex / wis / str / con pots in the shops. Did you remove those potions? How to restore the stats after they have been reduced?

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Mon 27.08.2012, 12:13

I'm back... Nice to see that someone actually plays 1.1.9 beta ;)

Q: squelch, I know it has something to do with suppressing items. But can you explain more how it works?
A: Squelch level determines which items you consider as junk and completely ignore these items when playing (you don't "see" them anymore). The default value is level = 1, which means ignore any worthless item (selling value = 0). Set level = 0 to see all items in the game. Set level = 2 to ignore all average items, level = 3 to ignore all good items... and so on. Usually I leave the default value, unless I'm playing a high level character which only cares about finding artifacts (then I put the level to max).

Q: "unignore" - what does that option do?
A: Allows to show squelched items. Useful when you use a high squelch level to check what a monster you killed actually dropped (or for necromancers using the default level value to see if a monster dropped a corpse/skeleton which are squelched by default).

Q: In the menue I can change the font fine, however a lot of entries are always greyed out. Can you give a short tutorial on how to enter iso view enable and disable grpahics?
A: Enabling graphics can only be done at start. Once the MotD appears, all entries are greyed out. If you're using the Win32 client, the best is to leave the default layout (use "reset default layout" menu entry), choose a tileset (32x32 is best, 64x64 if you have a big screen) and enable "nice graphics".

Q: During my travels into the pits I saw some green walls, what is that? (when looking, they seem to be granite walls)
A: Trap detection borders. Once you cast "detect traps", an indicator appears on the status line and the limit of the trap detected area is marked with green walls/floor tiles.

Q: I seem unable to generate vaults. Server crashes if I generate by name or number
A: Nice catch, I'll try to fix that.

Q: Oh and the server prevents now the Dm from going deeper than 600 ft.... for some reason
A: No idea why this would happen... Did you add a customized level for 650ft?

Q: Also In 1.19 build 1 I did not find any restore dex / wis / str / con pots in the shops. Did you remove those potions? How to restore the stats after they have been reduced?
A: This is a new feature from latest V. There are only three ways to restore lost stats now: stats are restored when you reach the next xp level, with mushrooms of vigor (the old mushrooms of restoring -- they are quite common, even at low depth), or simply by quaffing the corresponding stat pot as a restore stat pot

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Mon 27.08.2012, 15:14

I seem unable to generate vaults. Server crashes if I generate by name or number
Fixed. The assertion is in the code and forces a vault to be generated on "clean" spot (no monster, no object), which cannot work with manually created vaults since at least the DM is present in the middle of the space that would be used for the vault. Now a vault generated manually doesn't check for the DM and doesn't get generated if a "non-clean" spot is detected. Also vaults can now be generated only in the dungeon to preserve outside levels from DM mistakes (I managed to screw the Town layout that way!!!).
Oh and the server prevents now the Dm from going deeper than 600 ft.... for some reason
Fixed. This happened because of the bug above. When a crash happened when trying to generate a vault in manual design, the "manual design" flag was not removed on the level and therefore couldn't be accessed anymore. I recommend waiting for my next update before toying with vault creation...