Suggestions 1.19 beta

Issues, news, and discussion specific to the PWMangband variant.
Ace
Crystal Ooze

Suggestions 1.19 beta

Post by Ace » Sat 01.09.2012, 16:17

Hello !

I wanted to collect all 1.19. beta suggestions in here.

RESTING
when poisoned time passes very slowly it would be nice to just being able with one key press speed up time and rest without any prompt. probably there are disturbance settings that could be modified , but when you specifically want to rest (even when suffering from poison) it would be good to have a key to do that

maybe pressing the "rest" command twice to trigger the resting overriding all disturbance options.
Last edited by Ace on Sat 01.09.2012, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Re: Suggestions

Post by Ace » Sat 01.09.2012, 16:30

MISSING RESTORE STATS POTIONS
There should be something available in the shops (mushrooms?) to restore stats. Its a bit annoying if you run around for hours with lowered the stats. Later on its probably no longer an issue, because the player has money and access to higher tier equipment and a storage. But what are good options to get rid of this state in the beginning?

Sugestions
- option to enable restore stats potions
or
- maybe change the depth level / frequency of stats lowering creatures
or
- increase the number of stats restoring items, maybe there could be items that restore stats not fully but by one?
Last edited by Ace on Sat 01.09.2012, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Re: Suggestions 1.19 beta

Post by Ace » Sat 01.09.2012, 17:18

FILENAMES SERVER LOG
Suggestion is to use the date format pwmangbandYYYMMDD

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Sat 01.09.2012, 18:32

Ace wrote:Hello !

I wanted to collect all 1.19. beta suggestions in here.

RESTING
when poisoned time passes very slowly it would be nice to just being able with one key press speed up time and rest without any prompt. probably there are disturbance settings that could be modified , but when you specifically want to rest (even when suffering from poison) it would be good to have a key to do that

maybe pressing the "rest" command twice to trigger the resting overriding all disturbance options.
Poison should be cured... resting with poison on is pointless.

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Re: Suggestions

Post by PowerWyrm » Sat 01.09.2012, 18:34

Ace wrote:MISSING RESTORE STATS POTIONS
There should be something available in the shops (mushrooms?) to restore stats. Its a bit annoying if you run around for hours with lowered the stats. Later on its probably no longer an issue, because the player has money and access to higher tier equipment and a storage. But what are good options to get rid of this state in the beginning?

Sugestions
- option to enable restore stats potions
or
- maybe change the depth level / frequency of stats lowering creatures
or
- increase the number of stats restoring items, maybe there could be items that restore stats not fully but by one?
Heavily discussed on Angband forums, and the result was that restore stats potions won't be back. At low levels, you restore lost stats by gaining another xp level, it should take a couple minutes. At mid level, you use mushrooms of vigor (they start to appear at shallow depth, even 50ft IIRC). At high level, you keep unused stat pots and use them.

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Sat 01.09.2012, 18:36

Ace wrote:FILENAMES SERVER LOG
Suggestion is to use the date format pwmangbandYYYMMDD
Huh? Check \lib\apex, you have a log file named pwmangbandDDMMYY.log for every day the server is on.

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Sat 01.09.2012, 23:33

Yeah point was to have the pwmangband logs all in a nice order without having to sort by date ;) if the order is by year month day its really just cosmetic ;)

Emulord
King Vampire

Post by Emulord » Sun 02.09.2012, 02:05

PowerWyrm wrote:
Uhh no its not? Low level warrior with limited cure wounds potions just killed a white jelly. Then has to wait... and wait.

I feel like PWMangband has way too weird a difference in how fast time passes. It makes me uncomfortable to play it.
Resting, Running, Hurt all have different timescales. I prefer the mangband approach of "resting = faster regen" and "running = faster movespeed". Thats how it works in most commercial MMOs also. Stuff doesnt suddenly speed up or slow down around you.

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Sun 02.09.2012, 06:52

Once getting used to how it works I think it works pretty well. I just had one "instant death" against a death sword at low level. In all other fights so far, I reached "low hitpoints" warning and then I had enough time to react or to realize that I played to risky. So this time bubble is really good imho. Sometimes when you fight against static monsters or somehow are able to hide you also dont spend so much time waiting between your attack attempts because time speeds so much up when resting. One issue that this might cause the player drink less potions between fights does not weigh in that heavy.

Maybe I should have used the first post to collect all the outcome of the discussions :)

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Mon 03.09.2012, 10:00

Emulord wrote:
PowerWyrm wrote:
Uhh no its not? Low level warrior with limited cure wounds potions just killed a white jelly. Then has to wait... and wait.

I feel like PWMangband has way too weird a difference in how fast time passes. It makes me uncomfortable to play it.
Resting, Running, Hurt all have different timescales. I prefer the mangband approach of "resting = faster regen" and "running = faster movespeed". Thats how it works in most commercial MMOs also. Stuff doesnt suddenly speed up or slow down around you.
But a low level warrior would probably die from poison without any cures...

For the bubbles feature, I think I could barely play without it, as it really speeds up the process of resting. The only thing to remember is to keep the disturb_near option always on to avoid being killed while resting. In commercial MMOs, you usually don't have a resting command... if you do regen hps at all! Usually you have to use cure pots when wounded. Fast resting in PWMAngband is simply convenient...

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Fri 14.09.2012, 12:15

Hi again!

How are the server files encoded now? In the past it was plain XML right? How are they stored now and how I can look at them? Suggestion is to make a conversion tool available? I never edited server files yet - nor I have planned to do it but maybe it makes error reporting easier or if you want to do some nice meta-reporting like for the official server it would be good to have a readable format :)

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Post by PowerWyrm » Sat 15.09.2012, 17:01

The savefiles are using Vanilla Angband binary format. I decided to use this format instead of the old xml format because the binary format makes savefiles 10 times smaller, which decreases the time for regular server saves by ten! Remember that the server is saving all players + the server data every minute. In PWMAngband, this is almost instantaneous. In MAngband (check the regular server), there's lag every minute, as the data takes something like 3-5 seconds to save!!!

I made a conversion tool back in the days, but decided to trash it because it would take too much time to rework it every time the savefile format would change. If you want to edit a savefile, just look at the code in either load.c or save.c to see what data are saved and how (string, number...)