[Newbie] Can't connect to any server

Issues, news, and discussion specific to the PWMangband variant.
Korikabu
Pitiful-Looking Beggar

[Newbie] Can't connect to any server

Post by Korikabu » Tue 11.12.2012, 01:46

Hello everyone,

I just registered on this forum after trying to play PWMangband for the first time.

When I launch the game, it seems to fetch the server list correctly, but whenever I try to connect to one, it stops responding and I have to force it to close. I have tried waiting, nothing happened.

I did try to run my own server and to connect to the localhost, and it worked perfectly.

I am running the latest build on Vista 32bit. Is there any known issue ? Thanks in advance for your answer ! :)

- Korikabu.

PowerWyrm
Balrog

Re: [Newbie] Can't connect to any server

Post by PowerWyrm » Tue 11.12.2012, 12:06

If you have the latest build (1.1.9 build 4), there's currently only one server that runs the PWMAngband variant: pwmangband.seymourfamily.org
If you try to connect to another server (regular MAngband), it will fail to connect properly.
The easiest way to tell which servers are properly configured for PWMAngband is to check the version displayed on the meta: it should say 1.1.2 for MAngband and 1.1.9 for PWMAngband.

Korikabu
Pitiful-Looking Beggar

Post by Korikabu » Tue 11.12.2012, 21:12

Hello and thank you for your answer !

I managed to connect to the pwmangband.seymourfamily.org server and it works like a charm. I must have skipped it when I first tried.

I wandered a bit around town and could only find shops and houses for sale, no idea where the dungeon is ! I guess it'll take more exploration.

Emulord
King Vampire

Post by Emulord » Sat 15.12.2012, 18:27

The dungeon is a > somewhere on the first town screen. You enter the dungeon by standing on it and pressing >.

You can fight things in the wilderness if you go out far enough, but you probably will run into something too strong and get killed. The dungeon has more enemies so you'll level up and find more loot faster.