GOI and plasma hounds

General discussion about the game. Pull up a stool and tell us your tale!
karis
Giant House Fly

GOI and plasma hounds

Post by karis » Wed 11.07.2007, 06:28

Induriel died recently on some plasma hounds. There's in principle nothing special about this, exept he was wearing his GOI.
So, what happend? The hounds caused some cuts, the cuts added up to a knock out (still the HPs were constant), and then, when GOI weared off, the knocked down char was easily killed.
Does anyone know if this is a desired behaviour?

Nice side effect: during this death Induriel lost his house key... and so his whole backup gear.

Hope this warns some other mages at least.

Karis / Induriel

Narchan
Giant Spotted Rat

Re: GOI and plasma hounds

Post by Narchan » Wed 11.07.2007, 12:06

As far as I know, yes, this is the desired behavior.  Having resistance to sound will prevent knockouts due to plasma breathers.
#############
ZZZZZZZZ@ZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
#############

uh oh

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Wed 11.07.2007, 21:25

Absolutely spot-on example of why res sound is so important, no two ways about it.

Keep in mind that in Vanilla angband, after the 3.0 JLE patches, they dont even have GoI now heh :P Good odds that, in the future for MAngband, once we begin to sync up with Vanilla, we may do the same.

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Wed 11.07.2007, 21:27

Oh, and glad you mentioned the key/house loss. Some changes went in, I think, to try to combat that, but of course its a difficulty scenario to test.

karis
Giant House Fly

Post by karis » Thu 12.07.2007, 02:50

Ok. Good to know plasma results in sound damage. Obviously.
Just before I run in the next couple of hounds... are there any similar resistances for gravity, force, time and so on?

I heard about some changes regarding the key loss.... and here we have another test case   :P

Narchan
Giant Spotted Rat

Post by Narchan » Thu 12.07.2007, 13:28

Well, IIRC, resistance to sound also prevents the stun side-effects of force breathers and gravity breathers.  Having sound resistance only prevents you from being stunned from these attacks, I don't think it actually lowers the damage you take.  Like Fink said, resistance to sound is a very important resistance to have, since getting KO'ed is very nasty.  Similarly, resistance to shards also prevents alot of cutting side effects.  Having feather falling does decrease gravity damage a bit.  I think that covers all the non-obvious effects of resistances.  Nothing helps reduce time damage, so enjoy all time hounds you find  :)
#############
ZZZZZZZZ@ZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
#############

uh oh

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Thu 12.07.2007, 21:49

Once when looking through the code, I starte noticing how many things res sound is good for, to keep you from getting stunned. I mentioned a detail or two here.

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Sun 15.07.2007, 13:36

[quote author=karis link=board=GQ;num=1184153327;start=0#4 date=07/12/07 at 02:50:03]Ok. Good to know plasma results in sound damage. Obviously.
Just before I run in the next couple of hounds... are there any similar resistances for gravity, force, time and so on?[/quote]

Yes, there are!

Check out the big table at the end of this document in the Library. Normally when you resist any of the secondary elemental properties of the high elemental attacks, those secondary types of damage [edit: and/or their effects] are reduced significantly. It's really useful to know what holes in your armor might cause problems when squaring off with that pack of ancient dragons! (Did you know ice attacks also include sound..?)
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Fri 20.07.2007, 10:53

Oww. Bad situation. There'll always be something to kill you, no matter how powerful you are. Need any help/buy anything?
:)
-- Mangband Project Team Member