Don't poke the Dracolich

Post the obvious, so we can all chuckle with you...
Murdin
Crimson Mold

Don't poke the Dracolich

Post by Murdin » Thu 16.02.2006, 04:37

While not a ghost death, this death was extremely frustrating:

Fat and happy after plundering many a vault and killing many a big nasty thing, Murdin was recalling from a particuarilly industrious drive (and I was planning on going to sleep). However, as he was leaving he noticed a happy little light green D dancing around in the upper right corner of his screen.
"Let's have some fun with this critter before recalling out of here!" I thought. "And if I manage to kill it before leaving, all the better!" Well, the Dracolich had other plans, and they involved Murdin as the main course for his early breakfast. Clearly this was revenge for having slain so many of his bretheren earlier in the dive. Fire, nether and nether again one after another resulted in a rather dead dwarf and a suprirsed and infuriated player.

Moral of the story: Don't poke the Dracolich.

Sigh.
......####
...@+;...# Sigh.
......#....#
......####

Narchan
Giant Spotted Rat

Re: Don't poke the Dracolich

Post by Narchan » Thu 16.02.2006, 20:59

Yep, dracoliches are definately a common mid-lvl player killer.  Guess sometimes people just learn that the hard way :-/  I have certainly had characters killled by them my fair share of times.
#############
ZZZZZZZZ@ZZZZZ
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
#############

uh oh

Domino
Giant Hunter Ant

Post by Domino » Fri 17.02.2006, 16:38

Aye I think we all have.  There's just something about Nether at the mid 2000's.  Hard to find resists and not much but the Draco's do it there so it's easy to forget about.
King of the Hill Baby!

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Tue 21.02.2006, 14:58

I don't care about nether resistance, somebody has sell me recentrly a power dragon scale mail :D..
is great!!!!

my ranger is now allmost invencible.

Crimson
King Lich

Post by Crimson » Tue 21.02.2006, 17:46

Famous Last Words.
Are you not entertained?
Is this not what you came here for?

-- Maximus Decimus Meridias, The Gladiator

Berendol
Evil Iggy

Post by Berendol » Wed 22.02.2006, 00:24

Oh no, don't broadcast that information!!
By appreciation, we make excellence in others our own property. (Voltaire)

Avenger
Skeleton 2-Headed Troll

Post by Avenger » Wed 22.02.2006, 09:49

Yeah... watch your back, especially for Bigjuan(unless, of course, he's the one who sold it to you). He has been known to kill people for PDSMs before(or, for some unknown reason, their ghosts when they die in the wilderness while using a PDSM... yeah, that was me, thanks Bigjuan).

Big_Juan_Teh_Furby
Iridescent Beetle

Post by Big_Juan_Teh_Furby » Wed 22.02.2006, 10:20

No problem, glad I could help!

And I wouldn't worry about ME so much as the rightful owner of that gear.  Although...scratch that.

Worry about me, too.
When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can turn into deadly projectiles.

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Wed 22.02.2006, 13:44

[quote author=Avenger link=board=yasd;num=1140082645;start=0#6 date=02/22/06 at 09:49:13]Yeah... watch your back, especially for Bigjuan(unless, of course, he's the one who sold it to you). He has been known to kill people for PDSMs before(or, for some unknown reason, their ghosts when they die in the wilderness while using a PDSM... yeah, that was me, thanks Bigjuan). [/quote]

have you been killed for using a PDSM? and by BigJuan?
I thougth that while wearing a  PDSM you can not been killed... :o
lol just joking..

Avenger
Skeleton 2-Headed Troll

Post by Avenger » Wed 22.02.2006, 15:02

Close enough... I was ghost killed by Bigjuan after dying in the wilderness on Berendol's server, and losing my Power DSM. I foolishly broadcasted my location hoping for a rescue, and for some unknown reason Bigjuan killed my ghost. Most likely he did it so I wouldn't whine about somebody giving me the DSM back. Of course, now I have to whine about being ghost killed, so...

But yeah, I do have experience with Bigjuan making a killing over a PDSM, and he has killed people for other things; IIRC he killed Bran for some +10 speed boots, and I believe he killed someone else for some +8s a while back.

So I was just recomending caution when you possess something valuable which you have publicly announced possession of while someone with Bigjuan's reputation is online. No offense to Bigjuan, I am not trying to start anything here, but just saying be careful.

Warrior
Evil Iggy

Post by Warrior » Wed 22.02.2006, 15:28

As Ashi (I think) said in some other thread, MAngband is about bragging rights, the whole "I have one, you don't" - thing. Which is fun, of course, everyone loves finding awesome stuff and this is what makes it so hard to just... keep it you yourself. Don't brag. Resist.

I guess especially if you're what appears to be a newcomer to MAngband and was able to get your hands on a PDSM though you should probably be wearing soft leather armor of resist acid based on your level.

When the server gets reset I think people should become very much more secretive about their finds than what they are now, as is, the server is old and it's easy to buy backup gear. But if you find Ringil at 1200, don't tell. Those able will probably run through all @'s at sight looking for it.

Again. Just a warning for newer players.

- Warrior
-- Mangband Project Team Member

Big_Juan_Teh_Furby
Iridescent Beetle

Post by Big_Juan_Teh_Furby » Wed 22.02.2006, 15:31

No offense taken, Avenger.

You're 100% right, it's never a good idea to announce your awesome find unless you can fight off everyone else on the server.

Most people, however, don't seem to understand that it's usually far easier to kill someone who's found something then to find it on your own.

...or they're not mean enough to do it  ;)
When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can turn into deadly projectiles.

Murdin
Crimson Mold

Post by Murdin » Wed 22.02.2006, 15:46

Wow. Talk about derailing the original conversation topic.
......####
...@+;...# Sigh.
......#....#
......####

Fink
Ancient MultiHued Dragon

Post by Fink » Thu 23.02.2006, 00:45

What a poke in the wrong direction ... a Dracolich about toasted me yesterday... I killed its brother later that night. Wasn't worth it, droped a few mid range books. Just stay away unless you have +20-+50 speed...and it hasn't woken up yet! I prefure to just teleport monster...