How do you get better resistances?

Best practices and optimistic theories.
FlyveHest
Nasty Little Gnome

How do you get better resistances?

Post by FlyveHest » Sun 17.08.2008, 13:13

What is the best way to get better resistances? (Especially towards confusion)

Is it through ego-items, artifacts, rings, or something whole other?

I'm beginning to get so deep into the dungeon, that resistances seem to be a must, rather than nice-to-have :)

Jug
King Lich

Re: How do you get better resistances?

Post by Jug » Sun 17.08.2008, 21:47

I'm not sure there is a "best" way to get resistances, a resistance is a resistance no matter which item grants it. A fairly important part of the game becomes juggling your equipment to maximise the number of resists you have.

Some items stand out as being pretty awesome for granting resistances though.

Power Dragon Scale Mail
Resist acid, fire, cold, lightning, poison, confusion, disenchantment, sound, shards, blind, light, dark, nexus, nether and chaos.

The Power Dragon Scale Mail 'Bladeturner'
Resist acid, fire, cold, lightning, poison, fear, confusion, disenchantment, sound, shards, blind, light, dark, nexus, nether and chaos.

Specifically for resist confusion you could keep your eye out of Amulets of the Magi, Bronze Dragon Scale Mail and Crowns of Serenity. Also any item with a random high resist can have resist confusion. Also there are quite a few artifacts which grant resist confusion.

FlyveHest
Nasty Little Gnome

Post by FlyveHest » Mon 18.08.2008, 07:18

OK, this is good advice, which has lead to another.

Does all items carry a resistance bonus, or is it only magical ones?

And are there an easy way to "spot" this, other than watching the resist stats, and equipping/unequipping items? (I haven't seen many items with resistance bonuses in their inspect (I) description)

Jug
King Lich

Post by Jug » Mon 18.08.2008, 08:18

Equipping/unequipping whilst watching the character resist stats won't show you resists for an item which are hidden. If a resist or magical power doesn't show up when you examine the item with "I", it won't show up on the character resist screen either.

Any item you examine (I) which says "It might have hidden powers" means that it has hidden resists or magical abilities. To find out what these are, you need to read a "Scroll of *Identify*" on the item.

For example, you may find a Cloak of Aman, which says "It may have hidden powers". When you read an *Identify* scroll on the cloak you discover it provides resist confusion, and now whenever you examine the cloak with "I" it displays this resist.

Bomben
Battle-Scarred Veteran

Post by Bomben » Mon 18.08.2008, 09:43

Another question regarding resistances:

It seems to be hinted at here and there, but is there a difference to having two items offer resist to the same thing, compared to only one item?

And in regards to the *identify*ing thing - is this information also lost when one runs into - and is affected by - these (extremely) annoying memory stealing monsters/moss'?

Ace
Crystal Ooze

Post by Ace » Mon 18.08.2008, 09:51

resists do not stack. If you resist something you only receive a fraction of the original damage - i think you get a third of the damage.

Only way to increase a resistance is if you cast the spell resist heat/cold or use the the cloak of lordly resistance which activates for resist cold,heat, poison, fire. You get then only 1/9 of the damage (i think).

Also the chance that items are burned or potions breaking is reduced.

Maybe there items that create immunities but I never found one.

Bomben
Battle-Scarred Veteran

Post by Bomben » Mon 18.08.2008, 09:54

So resists stack across different origins, so to speak?

You can combine Items and spells/potions and activated abilities to get better resists - but not by wearing two items with the same.

If I understand it correctly?

Jug
King Lich

Post by Jug » Mon 18.08.2008, 10:54

And in regards to the *identify*ing thing - is this information also lost when one runs into - and is affected by - these (extremely) annoying memory stealing monsters/moss'?
No, reading an *Identify* permanently identifies the item. Reading an *Identify* scroll on all your equipment is a good way to prevent memory stealing attacks from making you forget about your equipment.

Jug
King Lich

Post by Jug » Mon 18.08.2008, 10:57

So resists stack across different origins, so to speak?

You can combine Items and spells/potions and activated abilities to get better resists - but not by wearing two items with the same.
Specifically you can have one permanent source of a resistance and one temporary source, and these two will stack.

Bomben
Battle-Scarred Veteran

Post by Bomben » Mon 18.08.2008, 14:52

Thanks for the answers. *Identify* just got added value. :)

And just to keep this going: *Identify*s are only ever found in the Black market and as loot?

Jug
King Lich

Post by Jug » Mon 18.08.2008, 15:29

Actually these days probably the most common place *Identify* is found is in player owned stores. But other than those, just in the dungeon and in 7, yes.

Ashi
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Ashi » Mon 18.08.2008, 15:48

*ID* scrolls only appear in the dungeon or black market, you won't find them in common shops. Some players might sell them out of their houses, though.

Be aware that "low" resistances are usually not hidden and will show up on the character sheet or when you press I. The following items are a few examples of things that will give you "the lows", meaning Acid, Electricity, Cold, and Fire.

Any item of Resistance
Weapon (Defender)
Armor/shield of Elvenkind
Robe of Permanence
Crown of the Magi
Shield of the Avari

What you need to look out for are "high" resistances, such as Confusion. These are usually hidden, and you will need an *Identify* scroll to find out what high resistance an item grants. The following are a few examples of items which give a random high resistance:

Armor/shield of Elvenkind
Robe of Permanence
Shield of the Avari
Gloves of the Istari
Cloak of Aman

Bomben
Battle-Scarred Veteran

Post by Bomben » Mon 18.08.2008, 16:01

Thanks for the quick answers, guys.

BlackNight
Blubbering Idiot

Post by BlackNight » Thu 16.09.2010, 03:37

hi FlyveHest

it is better to used artifacts to gain resistance. if you are fast learner you can do it in a seconds.

but it depends always on the fight but always get ready because there are some player

who has faster then you but be sure to use artifact in resistance

Thorbear
Two-Headed Troll

Post by Thorbear » Thu 16.09.2010, 10:06

BlackNight wrote:it is better to used artifacts to gain resistance. if you are fast learner you can do it in a seconds.

but it depends always on the fight but always get ready because there are some player

who has faster then you but be sure to use artifact in resistance
I can't quite say I understand what you're trying to say apart from that artifacts are good... And they are, but they're also one of a kind and rare, and shouldn't be something you expect to find.
I am Thorbear...