Item Inscription Guide

Guides, tutorials and useful facts created or collected by MAngband players.
Thorbear
Two-Headed Troll

Item Inscription Guide

Post by Thorbear » Fri 24.04.2009, 15:15

I saw in the "Wish List / Think tank" that some kind of guide to inscribing items would be useful, so I'll just start one, then someone else can add to it:

! = NOT
Available commands:
  • d = drop
    s = sell
    k = destroy
    f = fire
    v = throw
    E = eat
Usage:
Inscribe an item with the following syntax {!dks} (item will not be dropped, destroyed or sold)

= = Auto
Available commands:
  • g = pickup
Usage:
Inscribe an item with the following syntax {=g} (item will be picked up on walkover)

@ = Bind
Available commands:
  • m = magic books
    f = ammo
    p = priest books
    u = staffs
    a = wands
    w = wear/wield
    r = read
    q = quaff
    z = rods
Usage:
I: Inscribe an item with the following syntax {@m1} (item will be used as magic book 1 when casting)
II: Inscribe an item with the following syntax {@1} (item will be used as 1, in any situation)

NOTES:
Inscribing an item {@01} will make it item 0, thus only allowing numbers 0-9
Inscriptions might work differently with rougelike commands
Last edited by Thorbear on Sun 04.04.2010, 19:41, edited 5 times in total.
I am Thorbear...

Ashi
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Re: Item Inscription Guide

Post by Ashi » Fri 24.04.2009, 18:22

Good idea. Here are a few of the odd things I do with inscriptions.

The @ inscription can work without being bound to a specific command, like this: @1, @2, etc.

This causes it to be bound to EVERY command. So if you inscribed a book @1, then you can cast, browse, and gain spells from the book with m1, b1, and G1.

Items higher in the inventory take precedence when you do this. So if you have a book with @1 and a potion with @q1, you will get an error when you try to quaff the book.

I use this type of inscription on items where the roguelike command differs from the standard, because inscriptions apparently can't bind roguelike keys. For example, if I need to use a staff with Z, then @Z1 won't work and neither will @u1. So I inscribe the staff @0 and set my macro to \eZ0.

This is kind of convenient because I can hit my recharge macro then 0, then my identify macro then 0 when I run out of charges.

I use this technique for ammo, staffs, rods, and wands as necessary, generally counting down from 9. They usually do not conflict with books and potions because those are higher in the inventory.

Agor
Disenchanter Ooze

Post by Agor » Fri 24.04.2009, 18:42

@Ashi

I use roguelike keys, this is what I do:

You have to use the normal commands for inscribing, even if you use roguelike keys, for example:

Macro for firing: \et1*t (bound on TAB, with roguelike keys)
and then just inscribe the item @f1 (just like with normal keys).

Flambard
King Vampire

Post by Flambard » Fri 24.04.2009, 18:50

Thanks guys, great guide, hmm, about rougelike keys/inscriptions, do you think it's a bug? Or is it the same in Angband?

Agor
Disenchanter Ooze

Post by Agor » Sat 25.04.2009, 00:59

Flambard wrote:Thanks guys, great guide, hmm, about rougelike keys/inscriptions, do you think it's a bug? Or is it the same in Angband?
That's what I've been thinking about :/

Thorbear
Two-Headed Troll

Post by Thorbear » Sat 25.04.2009, 07:52

Ashi wrote:The @ inscription can work without being bound to a specific command, like this: @1, @2, etc.

This causes it to be bound to EVERY command. So if you inscribed a book @1, then you can cast, browse, and gain spells from the book with m1, b1, and G1.

Items higher in the inventory take precedence when you do this. So if you have a book with @1 and a potion with @q1, you will get an error when you try to quaff the book.
Added... correct me?
Ashi wrote:I use this type of inscription on items where the roguelike command differs from the standard, because inscriptions apparently can't bind roguelike keys. For example, if I need to use a staff with Z, then @Z1 won't work and neither will @u1. So I inscribe the staff @0 and set my macro to \eZ0.
Doesn't this kinda contradict with:
Agor wrote:You have to use the normal commands for inscribing, even if you use roguelike keys, for example:

Macro for firing: \et1*t (bound on TAB, with roguelike keys)
and then just inscribe the item @f1 (just like with normal keys).
I don't use rougelike commands and can't check this very easily, but an answer would be good no?
I am Thorbear...

Agor
Disenchanter Ooze

Post by Agor » Sat 25.04.2009, 12:00

Ashi wrote:...differs from the standard, because inscriptions apparently can't bind roguelike keys.
You CAN'T inscribe roguelike keys, but the inscriptions that have normal commands work as the inscriptions are coded differently than the macros. Macros are just keypresses, but inscritions are preprogrammed, so they react to commands not the specific keys, am I making any sense?

So " \et1*t " fires @f1.
Thorbear wrote:I don't use rougelike commands and can't check this very easily, but an answer would be good no?
Well it isn't too hard to check, you can just turn the roguelike commands on from the menu :o

Ashi
Giant Mottled Ant Lion

Post by Ashi » Sat 25.04.2009, 17:35

Wow, I just tried macroing \et1*t with arrows inscribed @f1 and it works! This must be a recent change because roguelike command macros never worked for me in older instances of the game. I guess I've been using @0 out of habit long enough that I never noticed when it changed.

This should make sharing arrows with party members a bit easier...

Agor
Disenchanter Ooze

Post by Agor » Sat 25.04.2009, 22:37

Glad I could help :)

I was a bit baffled myself at first when I changed to roguelike commands, but withsome trial and error I found out how it worked :3

elderon
Blubbering Idiot

Post by elderon » Fri 02.04.2010, 08:39

Hi all, Been a long time since I have been on, finally got a connection that makes it possible again (living in Africa). One of the most useful inscriptions I use is =g for my arrows, then I automatically pick them up.

Elderon

serina
Crystal Ooze

Post by serina » Sat 03.04.2010, 00:45

Nice thread. Might help clear up more macro problems for new members.
@ = Bind
Available commands:
m = magic books
f = ammo
p = priest books
u = staffs
a = wands
w = wear/wield
r = read
q = quaff
You forgot z = rods.

ZAL